Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing and sinusitis query

Options
  • 30-04-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,

I never had sinus problems before I started surfing over 5 years ago since starting surfing, I have had it at least once a year. Just wondering if anyone else suffers and do u surf while u have it? I try stay out of water when i have it (like this sunny perfect surf wknd) but can be hard!! I wear hood in winter and plugs sometimes but water still stays in my left ear for day or two after surf. Not sure it's all related so wondered if others had similar experiences. I'm still gonna keep surfing!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm no expert but I would have thought salt water flushing out the crap in your sinuses is no bad thing. Most nasal sprays are just saline solutions. I think sinusitis is a recurring ailment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sadib888

yesterday I went surfing and tumbled a bit in the water. Now I have a slight fever, headache, sore eyes, blocked ears and stuffy nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I would have thought salt water flushing out the crap in your sinuses is no bad thing. Most nasal sprays are just saline solutions. I think sinusitis is a recurring ailment anyway.

Yeah that is what I would have thought too but it does damage ears overtime so just wondered if it affects sinuses also. Best way to find out is to go surfing I suppose and see how much betteror worse they are!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sadib888 wrote: »
    yesterday I went surfing and tumbled a bit in the water. Now I have a slight fever, headache, sore eyes, blocked ears and stuffy nose.

I get that sometimes too, feels like you have a cold. I should probably start wearing ear plugs also as a few times my ears have been effected for days at a time, practically deaf for a whole week in one ear last february.Also a few times I've woke up in the middle of the night with salt wate streaming out my nose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The ear thing is called surfers ear - It is caused by extra bone growing in the ear canal over time and trapping water inside causing infections. It is the body's attempt to insulate the ear from the cold water and wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

The ear thing is called surfers ear - It is caused by extra bone growing in the ear canal over time and trapping water inside causing infections. It is the body's attempt to insulate the ear from the cold water and wind.

Ear canal can get a minor infection and sends down mucus into your sinus canal

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's definitely not surfers ear I had, know one or two who had that and you have to get an operation to fix it, will invest in earplugs next winter, not something I want to end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i use earplugs all the time and never noticed if many others were-- i remember seeing a few people with them in the water... don't you guys use it ? wrecks my head from all the duck-diving if i don't

i use earplugs all the time and never noticed if many others were-- i remember seeing a few people with them in the water... don't you guys use it ? wrecks my head from all the duck-diving if i don't

I don't like not being able to hear around me so not used them so far...might give em a try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

from all the years djing / drumming i suppose i got used to a variety of them

when you try them make sure you don't use sponges-- use this or this

it will be very awkward at first but i think it pays off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You can get ear drops / liquid which is basicall alachol and you use it to flush the water out of your ears, any chemist should have it. That should help.

I often get water lodged up my sinuses for a few days after a surf but always now try to flush it out be bending over and blowing hard through my nose.It's funny when you are in work and you nose decided to empty it's self in a meeting...

Advertisement