Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz and heatsink

Options
  • 30-04-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I will be getting Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz and was wondering, I thought I heard it somewhere that to over clock the processor I will need a new heat sink because the original you get apparently is crap, anybody know about that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It is very small in comparison to the alternatives but the Sandy Bridge line are faily cool. You should be fine with overclocks to around 4GHz. Consider an upgrade above that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The original CPU heatsink on the new processors are a step up from the last gen, but they're still pretty bad. As Monocat says 4ghz should be ok, if a little hot. Either way I'd always recommend a better HS & Fan to keep cooling down, and thus power consumption, and increase the lifespan of your processor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my i5-2500k idles at 25c and 35c under load on stock settings with the NH-D14 cooler
    i will be overclocking in the next while to see what i can comfortably get it up to and will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have the corsair A70, which only cost me €33. I have the i5-2500k running at 4.6Ghz @ 1.315V with max temps of 62° C when running prime95. Needless to say I'm very happy with it, I could easily have spent double and still get similar results. If you're going to overclock I highly recommend this cooler.

Advertisement