Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 - steering

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Did you end up using that new electric motor? If not I might buy it from you, I think my drivers windor motor is dead.
    Never bought the motors as it turns out the issue is elsewhere - motor in drivers side is fine. Now the bright evenings are here I can get out with my multimeter and find out where. (Bought three second hand switches which did bugger all to fix it!)
    Phone dials wont fit standard 924 hubs...
    My mate sent me this link earlier. Might be what you want, HiKite. If I had the cash and the time I'd fit teledials too!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Dades wrote: »
    My mate sent me this link earlier. Might be what you want, HiKite. If I had the cash and the time I'd fit teledials too!

Very good to know, I'll bear it in mind! Cash is the problem here too, but there's no real rush anyways (I say that now...) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

HiKite, your alloys are pretty sweet, just spray over the gold colour & they'll be the business,
    or alternatively, if you want to let them go at a reasonable price..... :D

a_v525 wrote: »
    HiKite, your alloys are pretty sweet, just spray over the gold colour & they'll be the business,
    or alternatively, if you want to let them go at a reasonable price..... :D

I know a local guy who could spray them black, and once I get his quote, I'll know if it's worth keeping them or not. How much would they be worth black I wonder? Come to think of it, they'd look great with an all black leather interior :D Will sit on this for a while, but I'll keep you in mind!

really hate the brown pascha and the light brown carpets mite be getting rid of the seats in the next month or two. the front two are a bit ripped but the rear is mint & has the two-point belts if you want to take it away FOC,
    but first I have to get the replacement seats sorted :rolleyes:

I'm looking for rear seatbelts, if you're throwing yours away, I could even swap you my brown pasha rear seats (also mint), so you could move the lot on as a set when needed.. Worth an ask!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer of the rear seats, but I'm actually in the process of getting a new interior for mine (brown leather) from UK, not sure if the seatbelts are included but if they are I'll throw you my set FOC, Lightening has dibs on my rear seats. Wont be removing them for a month or so but when I do I'll remember ya if you hang around on the 924 forum, I'll be mostly on that

Yeah I reckon yours would look good if you just sprayed the gold bits black, leave the silver for the outline. I actually was bored one day & took a can of schutz undersealer to a set of crappy BMW alloys I had lying in the shed. The shutz stuck fairly well & hasn't scraped off when I tried to scrutinize the spray job, Heres a before & after:

Before:

dsc00161wa.th.jpg

After:

dsc00162h.th.jpg

Theres no shine off them but if I sprayed over them with proper metallic black spraypaint I'd say they'd look the business, no idea if they'd last on the road but worth a shot for yourself if you had an afternoon free, the undersealer aerosol was only around €8-12 I think. mask off the areas you dont want to paint & spray away!

Good luck with it lad, and remember when you're done, pics are a man's best friend!

Yeah I reckon yours would look good if you just sprayed the gold bits black, leave the silver for the outline.

I had a thought to colour code them blue (just over the gold bits), I'll have to give that thought some time to disappear :) The DIY approach might have to do if my local guy is too dear, sure we'll see. Cheers for the tips anyhow!

No worries re seat and seatbelts etc. Would love to see the brown leather interior! Brown would be the simplest way to go in mine, as I'd only need to get the seats, nothing else: photostream

I just asked the guy I bought the car from 'what's's the story with the main headlamps', they won't stay on'. I can only flash them. He said that you have to hold them on, surely this can't be right? How are you meant to change gears and still see where you're going? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NedKinsella

HiKite wrote: »
    I just asked the guy I bought the car from 'what's's the story with the main headlamps', they won't stay on'. I can only flash them. He said that you have to hold them on, surely this can't be right? How are you meant to change gears and still see where you're going? :confused:
    Its rubbish. Of course they should dip normally. Its probably a faulty dip switch. You should get a definite click when you pull on the switch to change from head to dip and vise versa. Mine is a bit dodgy and sometimes needs a second try.

He said that you have to hold them on, surely this can't be right? How are you meant to change gears and still see where you're going? :confused:
    Somebody's having a laugh. :pac:

There's an electrical gremlin in there somewhere. Check your fuses first off! Or maybe a relay or something just needs a jiggle. The guys on porsche924 UK really know their stuff. You'll need to fork out £20 to join the tech forums but unless you're already an expert it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had an Audi 200 doing the same thing once, it needed a new switch. I think the 924 uses the same stalk.

It uses the stalk from a VW Golf of that era, when you pull it back you should hear quite a load click and the light just above the rev counter will stay blue.

Cheers for that, the stalk doesn't click so that might be it. Will check fuses as well. Must get a "yoke" for testing circuits etc.

No need to spend £20, I'm an expert, well spotted Dades :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

the petrol cap flap will have to be from a 944 the 924 wont fit right.
    i have them from both models,i am assuming the rear arches are fibreglass ?
    in that case if you want a flap i will make a fibreglass 1 for u and you pay the post ?

salysol wrote: »
    the petrol cap flap will have to be from a 944 the 924 wont fit right.
    i have them from both models,i am assuming the rear arches are fibreglass ?
    in that case if you want a flap i will make a fibreglass 1 for u and you pay the post ?

That's right, they're 944 Bumpers. The rear arches are fiberglass also. Bang on, thanks for the offer, I'd like to get one done and sprayed blue to blend into the bumper (I can get it sprayed locally here). PM me with any details you need, or need to run by me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

alastair wrote: »
    Have you considered a Corsa-based electric PAS conversion? They don't cost much and have been applied successfully to a pretty wide range of classics at this stage. No downside if they fail either - you're just back to non-assisted steering.

Can I just say that the Corsa B power steering (I have one) provides no feedback whatsoever. None. You'd be better off without it.

That's right, they're 944 Bumpers. The rear arches are fiberglass also. Bang on, thanks for the offer, I'd like to get one done and sprayed blue to blend into the bumper (I can get it sprayed locally here). PM me with any details you need, or need to run by me!
    i'm restoring a 81 924 using a LATER 944 as the donor,i moulded 944 rear arches but i have decided to keep the body original apart from the front end which will be all 944,i am also using the power steering on the 924, i drive a 79 ,924 daily,i will hopefully get the chance this weekend to make a copy,and will PM you then , i think you will be better off with a fibreglass flap,cos you will be able to modify it to fit if you need to.
    incidently i have loads of spares here in Wexford if you should need anything ?

Confab wrote: »
    Can I just say that the Corsa B power steering (I have one) provides no feedback whatsoever. None. You'd be better off without it.

thanks for that, you just saved me a lot of effort! I'd love to get PAS on there, although i'm getting used to the steering at slow speeds, it's a good workout!! Lowering the seat soon, hopefully that'll help..

salysol wrote: »
    i'm restoring a 81 924 using a LATER 944 as the donor,i moulded 944 rear arches but i have decided to keep the body original apart from the front end which will be all 944,i am also using the power steering on the 924, i drive a 79 ,924 daily,i will hopefully get the chance this weekend to make a copy,and will PM you then , i think you will be better off with a fibreglass flap,cos you will be able to modify it to fit if you need to.
    incidently i have loads of spares here in Wexford if you should need anything ?

Thanks for that. I have a few tiny bits I'm looking for alright, to begin with:

Indicator stalk. I'm looking for a brown one, are they a bit scarcer? (if unavailable, I'd take a pair of black ones.)
    Rubber Seal for Windscreen (Top part needed)
    Door Mechanism for right hand door
    2 white plastic parts that hold door mechanism cable in place

That's all I think I need at the minute, but I have yet to bring my car to my mechanic for a "once-over". I'll be doing that when I come back from holidays on the 16th, and will have a better picture of the cars' other requirements.

By the way, what kind of interior is in the 944 you're breaking? I was thinking of looking for brown leather seats as a compromise upgrade from the brown Pascha interior. Easier to do this and have to do nothing else to change in the interior.

HOWEVER, Black leather seats and a matching black interior is my eventual goal, so maybe i should hold out; but as the whole interior of the 924 is brown, I'd need to very luckily stumble upon a whole black interior... ;)

Talk to you soon!

Cheers, Enda.

Thanks for that. I have a few tiny bits I'm looking for alright, to begin with:

Indicator stalk. I'm looking for a brown one, are they a bit scarcer? (if unavailable, I'd take a pair of black ones.)
    Rubber Seal for Windscreen (Top part needed)
    Door Mechanism for right hand door
    2 white plastic parts that hold door mechanism cable in place

That's all I think I need at the minute, but I have yet to bring my car to my mechanic for a "once-over". I'll be doing that when I come back from holidays on the 16th, and will have a better picture of the cars' other requirements.

By the way, what kind of interior is in the 944 you're breaking? I was thinking of looking for brown leather seats as a compromise upgrade from the brown Pascha interior. Easier to do this and have to do nothing else to change in the interior.

HOWEVER, Black leather seats and a matching black interior is my eventual goal, so maybe i should hold out; but as the whole interior of the 924 is brown, I'd need to very luckily stumble upon a whole black interior... ;)

Talk to you soon!

Cheers, Enda.
    the 944 interior i'm keeping for the 924,will have a look at the weekend for the other bits,but i definately wont have the windscreen seal,unless you mean the upper trim piece ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NedKinsella

I could do with a window motor or more accurately the part driven by the motor as the plastic gear is worn in mine. Also does anybody have window switches? (Black)

• Advertisement

I have dibs on Dades ones if he is not using his :)
    Lucky you reminded me I nearly forgot. :p

Someday I'll get those window(s) sorted and see what I have left over...

thanks again folks, I'm away for a weeks hols, talk to ye when I get back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

3. Wear and tear on the Drivers seat, not too bad though, I might get away with doing it myself, as it's just a split in the fabric.

I got a guy in Galway to reupholster all four seats and the door cards for €250. He kept the vinyl sides on the seats and just replaced the tatty fabric panels.

Also, VanHireBoys trevorbrady and Dades are great contacts to have here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Confab wrote: »

It's the Corsa C PAS that most people seem to use. Can't vouch for it myself, but it's certainly a very popular conversion in Autocross Minis, where you'd assume feedback would be desirable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

postdarwin wrote: »
    I got a guy in Galway to reupholster all four seats and the door cards for €250. He kept the vinyl sides on the seats and just replaced the tatty fabric panels.

Also, VanHireBoys trevorbrady and Dades are great contacts to have here!

who/where in Galway ? have some stuff need doing in the not-too-distant future.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

It's a fabric upholstery shop halfway between Barna and Spiddeal, on the right before Slemons petrol station. Polish guy, as far as I remember. I can probably dig out the number if you're interested. Really nice job too.

Don't forget you'll have to take out the seats and doorcards and deliver them, and those rear seats are glued in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Guys,

I just bought my 924 and found this tread. Great that there are some guys with experience, so I decided to post a couple of questions.
    First of all, there she is :D:

5730458955_8d74734032_b.jpg

5730523463_11be2dee8b_b.jpg

Apart from that beautiful radio, everything else is original (that was the only thing the previous owner did to the car :mad:)... Of course, this will be gone soon and will be replaced with an old Becker.

I got the baby just a couple of days ago and if any of you can help me with resolving some of the problems, I will appreciate it.

1. The cold start issue - I believe I sorted this out yesterday (the connecting cable to the warm switch was unplugged).
    2. The hot start issue - will try to get it done soon (any suggestions welcome).
    2. Rear boot lid pops up on rough roads and that drives me mad. I tried to adjust the jaws and pins, still unsuccessful...
    3. Any of ye have a spare alloy centre cap (alloys are 15 inch, the multispokes).
    4. Noisy fuel pump at the rear - is this normal?
    5. I need to adjust the rear suspension (one side slightly lower than the other) and I hope that the eccentric bolt adjusters will have enough room to balance it out - any of you with an experience regarding this issue? I know, this may not be an easy task...

There are some other bits and imperfections, but other than that it is great and I am happy with it so far ;).

Lovin the interior lad! Although the sight of those crimps will haunt my dreams......

Re the hotstart: theres a DIY on porsche924.co.uk in the forum on hopw to fix it, a PO of my '24 fixed this for me by hooking up the 5th injector (cold start valve) to a switch in the dash so you can manually inject an extra bit of petrol to start her up if needs be.

Re the centrecap: You can bag em real cheap on ebay, I got a set of 5 for £0.99 last year!! but damn postage brought it up :(

Re the fuelpump: noisy usually aint normal, you should get a secondhand one no prob in UK for decent enough money. I'd recommend fixing it before you end up stranded on the side of a road.

Welcome to '24 ownership, there are actually quite a few of us hanging around the place now

Lovin the interior lad! Although the sight of those crimps will haunt my dreams......

Re the hotstart: theres a DIY on porsche924.co.uk in the forum on hopw to fix it, a PO of my '24 fixed this for me by hooking up the 5th injector (cold start valve) to a switch in the dash so you can manually inject an extra bit of petrol to start her up if needs be.

Re the centrecap: You can bag em real cheap on ebay, I got a set of 5 for £0.99 last year!! but damn postage brought it up :(

Re the fuelpump: noisy usually aint normal, you should get a secondhand one no prob in UK for decent enough money. I'd recommend fixing it before you end up stranded on the side of a road.

Welcome to '24 ownership, there are actually quite a few of us hanging around the place now
    Thanks for your comments. The interior is generally in very good condition and after I get the silly radio out, will be even nicer ;).

Just tried out the hot start and I found that the ignition key needs to be fully turned, so the ignition circuit kicks in (the starter kicks in a wee bit earlier, so if not fully turned, the ignition won't work). I will test her again and see if the issue is there. I heard about the modification with the auxiliary injector, but I would prefer not to modify anything in the car and keep it original.

Yeah, eBay is the way to go. Just bought an aerial, hatch seal, hatch lock seal and looking for more toys ;).

By the way - what engine oil do you use (2-litre motor)? I believe the 10W40 should do the job (I normally use 5W40 in all my veteran cars).

• Advertisement

The fuelpumps are quite noisy in the 924`s I wouldn't be worried about it.
    Thanks, the pump is sometimes quite annoyingly noisy, but I believe that's the way it is.
    My dog has accepted the new family member also, however he couldn't find himself at the back seats during a short spin around :rolleyes:.

5730917717_79849b39c7_b.jpg

Advertisement