Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 - steering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sweet its a LeMans version, I nearly bought one a while ago to go with my 1980 924 Lux.
    Thanks ;).

Just an update regarding the hot start - I tested it twice at 15-20 min after hot engine shut down and it starts OK.

The most annoying thing is the rear hatch that pops out from the locking jaws. If you have any experience with sorting this out, I will appreciate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Welcome to 924 ownership!
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Just an update regarding the hot start - I tested it twice at 15-20 min after hot engine shut down and it starts OK.
    Does that mean you're now sorted? Lucky you!

I always though the hot/cold start thing was a bit of a misnomer. It's a warm start that really gives the problems. i.e. Car starts great from cold AND hot but leave it sit for 10 mins and you'll be cranking for ages.

I hotwired the CSV and put the push-button under the dash to bypass the issue:

3978066428_ccc4b447d1.jpg

Not ideal, but saves the embarrassment of looking like your car is fecked everytime you arrive out of the shops. :p

Your car looks great - esp the interior. Those Porsche door cards are very "desirable".
    What's going on in the centre console - do you have a mid mounted speaker behind the grill?

Dades wrote: »
    Welcome to 924 ownership!Does that mean you're now sorted? Lucky you!
    Thanks ;).

I just went outside to test the hot start again, now after 30-35 min, and I had to crank the engine for a while. Looks like this problem is in almost every car. In my one it seems to be only occasionally, but still...

After messing yesterday and trying to adjust the jaws and pins the hatch seems to be working OK for now.

Yeah, I like the interior myself, it is in good condition and a nice place to be in.

That grill on the dashboard is just lifted, as the previous owner fitted a bigger speaker there, but it is already gone and the grill in place as it should. Some mess, but will get there, as the car is a good base in my opinion.

I got the engine oil (GTX 10W40) and will be doing a small service soon. The spare oil filter has been found in the boot :D together with a skinny spare wheel and a jack and an electric pump for the spare wheel :confused:.

Some service history with the car and old bills and also an old official letter (dated 1979) from Porsche regarding the uncompliant spare wheel for the UK market, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

a skinny spare wheel and a jack and an electric pump for the spare wheel :confused:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro

I have a collapsible spare wheel in both my beetle and camper. You have to carry a compressor to use them though :)

I'm loving your 924 Seweryn, I'm really jealous. One day I'll have one too :)

Will you hav it at the Limerick show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro

I have a collapsible spare wheel in both my beetle and camper. You have to carry a compressor to use them though :)

I'm loving your 924 Seweryn, I'm really jealous. One day I'll have one too :)

Will you hav it at the Limerick show?
    Hi Trevor,

Nice to hear from you :).

Wow, I didn't know that the wheel actually gets into size once you inflate it.

Yeah, I like the 924 too. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning, but every day I like it more ;). There are a couple of issues with it, but nothing major (the radio :D) and it looks fully original and I am going to keep it that way.

When is the Limerick show? I will try to make it this time, as the last summer I did not have a suitable vehicle :o.

• Advertisement

I just went outside to test the hot start again, now after 30-35 min, and I had to crank the engine for a while. Looks like this problem is in almost every car. In my one it seems to be only occasionally, but still...
    It is a pain alright - and common. People can, and do, fix the issue but it involves a lot of trial and error and replacement of possible good parts with no guarantee of success. See the UK forum mentioned earlier in this thread for very concise discussions. I opted for the "bodge" route of a €2 switch which I can use to coax the car into life when it seems hesitant to fire.
    There are a couple of issues with it, but nothing major (the radio :D) and it looks fully original and I am going to keep it that way.
    You mention you are getting a Becker - do you mean an old FM one or one of the new fancy retro MP3 versions? :) Might also be worth getting some new speakers for the doors, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Thanks, the pump is sometimes quite annoyingly noisy, but I believe that's the way it is.
    My dog has accepted the new family member also, however he couldn't find himself at the back seats during a short spin around :rolleyes:.

Nice Le Mans, love the Chocolate Lab also, we have a Black Lab/Boxer mix who loves the car. I have the back seats flattened for him, as it's very handy for him to get in and out of the front that way. Yesterday he jumped onto the centre "tape holder" when he thought my son and I were heading off for a spin without him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

There must be at least 5-8 924 owners here in this forum at this stage. Probably more if we count those fake 924`s (928/968/944) owners :pac:

Yeah, those Porsche 924 wannabees are jealous of us in our 'real' porsches...

/ignores VWAudi branding all over switches, engine compartment etc.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

When is the Limerick show? I will try to make it this time, as the last summer I did not have a suitable vehicle :o.

sunday 29th May, just 10 days from now. I thought I met you there last year with your Mercedes estate? Must have been the year before...

It is a pain alright - and common. People can, and do, fix the issue but it involves a lot of trial and error and replacement of possible good parts with no guarantee of success. See the UK forum mentioned earlier in this thread for very concise discussions. I opted for the "bodge" route of a €2 switch which I can use to coax the car into life when it seems hesitant to fire.
    I will think about it. Will try to diagnose the problem first and replace the faulty part only. For now I temporarily solved the problem by... replacing the battery with a bigger one :pac: .
    You mention you are getting a Becker - do you mean an old FM one or one of the new fancy retro MP3 versions? :) Might also be worth getting some new speakers for the doors, too!
    I still have a Becker Europa from my old Beetle (the one with the rubber strips) and also a bit more modern one (Photo below):

5214109220_82d8b53aca_z.jpg

Another idea is to fit a Becker radio dedicated to a Porsche. I remember the one (as on the photo below) in my friend's Beetle years ago. A lovely unit, really the one to have in car like this. I don't think I would fit anything modern into the 924...

993%20becker%20cd%20radio.JPG

porsche_911+993_carrera_s_coupe_radio_97_sm1291228547.jpg

• Advertisement

HiKite wrote: »
    Nice Le Mans, love the Chocolate Lab also, we have a Black Lab/Boxer mix who loves the car. I have the back seats flattened for him, as it's very handy for him to get in and out of the front that way. Yesterday he jumped onto the centre "tape holder" when he thought my son and I were heading off for a spin without him :)
    The Chocolate Lad is simply unbelievable. I never thought we will have so much fun with that creature. He owns every car... He likes being driven, while sitting at the back seat, like that:

4067931462_c7aa17e4c7_z.jpg?zz=1

But who knows what he would do if you leave him alone :eek:...

4063833166_f90702809b_z.jpg?zz=1

sunday 29th May, just 10 days from now. I thought I met you there last year with your Mercedes estate? Must have been the year before...
    It must have been the summer of 2009. I sold that car nearly 18 months ago, but now I may attend with the 924 ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There must be at least 5-8 924 owners here in this forum at this stage. Probably more if we count those fake 924`s (928/968/944) owners :pac:
    a_v525 wrote: »
    Yeah, those Porsche 924 wannabees are jealous of us in our 'real' porsches...

/ignores VWAudi branding all over switches, engine compartment etc.... :o

LOLOL..........I see your 125bhp and raise you............an extra 115bhp.

Am I = 2 924 owner's = 1.25 944 owner's ?

And is a 928 owner = 2 x 968 owners = 4 924 owner's ?

Eh ? :D

Amazing how the 924 is now far more respected than it ever was when it was new. There was a lady who bought a brand new yellow one in Galway back in about 1983, and had it for years. She used to park it up on the footpath next door to our school. Wonder where that is now............. ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

4067931462_c7aa17e4c7_z.jpg?zz=1

O/T, but that is a class pic. He looks like he's thinking really hard on some Big Issue of the Day........ :D

mmm...picture of Pet and Your Motor thread beckon's.......... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Lol, I love how this thread now has nothing to do about 924 steering & its just turned into a big '24 love-in

galwaytt wrote: »
    O/T, but that is a class pic. He looks like he's thinking really hard on some Big Issue of the Day........ :D

mmm...picture of Pet and Your Motor thread beckon's.......... :)

Good idea re. pet and car thread!

There was a lady who bought a brand new yellow one in Galway back in about 1983, and had it for years. She used to park it up on the footpath next door to our school. Wonder where that is now............. ?
    A yellow one lived near me when I was in school.
    Always liked it and I think this is why I always had a hankering for one. (I have the same problem with Lancia Betas!)

A yellow one lived near me when I was in school.
    Always liked it and I think this is why I always had a hankering for one. (I have the same problem with Lancia Betas!)

ok, that's just plain weird: within 100metres of the 924 there was always a.......Lancia Beta Coupé....................and latterly, a Volumex HPE to be exact..

..you're not my Doppelganger are you ??

..are you from Galway........ ??

Ode To The Motorist

..you're not my Doppelganger are you ??

..are you from Galway........ ??
    :p No, but it was the 70's/80's so the chances of finding those two cars nearby wasn't so slim!

Hi folks,

I know I mentioned these spares already but I can't contact salysol (who offered parts), and I need to get the few bits asap.

I just listed this "parts wanted" list on 924.co.uk, but if anyone had them here that would be great! They're just a few minor parts. Frazer is my next stop I think, I've been on eBay but I'd prefer to get the lot in one go, if taking delivery from the UK.

I'm missing the seal (top length) for my 924 windscreen, but something tells me I'd be best to replace all the rubbers, top and bottom, inside and out. If someone had the lot for reasonable money, I could go for them, if not, I'd just get the top outside length as a temporary measure!

Here are some other bits I need:
    Headlamp stalk in Brown, it's the square shape.
    Fuel flap for a 944 bumper ( I'll have it sprayed).
    2 Blank Keys.

Finally, but NB: I need the 2 white plastic pieces that hold the drivers door mechanism cable in place, they broke at some stage and I must use the passenger door to open the drivers door, not great :0)

Many thanks,

Enda.

• Advertisement

HiKite wrote: »
    Headlamp stalk in Brown, it's the square shape.
    Fuel flap for a 944 bumper ( I'll have it sprayed).

These are on the way, I'll be able to drive at night soon :0)

I could do with a window motor or more accurately the part driven by the motor as the plastic gear is worn in mine. Also does anybody have window switches? (Black)
    I have dibs on Dades ones if he is not using his :)
    You're in luck, LIGHTNING.

I finally fixed my windows on Friday - without using those switches I'd got from eBay. :D

Turned out the 5-pin relay that controls the windows was knackered (the one I never knew existed that's stuck to the center console under the dash...) Anyway I've temp swapped it for a four pin from my horn and all windows are back in action - including the passenger one that never worked at all. (The 5 pin relays only allow you to close the windows with the door open and engine off).

So yeah, I'm sorted so the switches are yours if you want them. :)

I didnt know that existed! Where is it exactly so I can test my one too :)
    Here ya go:

In the passenger footwell, clamped to the center console area under the dash (the orangey one) - near where the back of the stereo would be. The relay beside it is for the stereo, I think.

photo_1_2_Small.jpg

photo_3_Small.jpg

Check this link out for the low down on the different relays.
    http://porsche924.co.uk/technical/?article=17

A guy on the porsche924.co.uk forum suggested I could safely swap it with any of P, U, K or L to see if the relay was the issue. I used the horn (L on my 1983) as it was the least crucial, and success. :)

As a bonus I checked my rear defroster relay and that was knackered also, meaning I could also have diagnosed my winter nightmare issue!

Really hope you find this is your issue - and easy fix is the best fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep old relays are the weak point on the 928 too!

About 8 or 10 of them are identical and when I solved a major issue (intermittent starting problem caused by dodgy fuel pump relay) I ordered about 15 of them from the US ($4 each) and replaced them all :)

^^ You'd be amazed how long I spent talking on 924 forums trying to diagnose my window issues before someone finally said - have you checked the relay?

"There's a relay?!"

Everyone talking about the switches... or replacing the motor... or tracing the earths...

You live and learn. Reminds me of when I was at the end of my tether fixing my charging system and someone told me if the bulb in the dash is blown the entire circuit fails! WTF!

But no better feeling when you finally get it right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah makes you wonder though how the hell people coped before the internet :eek:

BTW do you use rennlist as a resource? There's more people online on there than on boards.ie!

Hi folks, just to let you know I'm putting my feelers out as I want to go from 2 doors to 4, see the "For sale, wanted and swaps" thread :)

^^ You don't need my switches then! Happy days for you. :)

The Club 92 roundabout - is that within the racecourse or the big roundabout at the end of Brewery/Lep road? (On a side note - If I could get a hold of the individual responsible for all the ramps along that sliproad from Westwood to Carrickmines Retail park I would ... be angry).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Hi lads,

Are some of you knows, I am on the restoration of an 924 at the moment.
    And I am looking for a running engine, I need to be sure it is running and in good state before paying.

If you heard about anything, let me know I can even taking it out of the car no problem there.

I hope it is not too bad as a hitjack :P let me know otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

lads,

Another boardsie with a 924.
    Only got it at the weekend 924 lux 1980
    most stuff is working but i do have a question or 2
    The water temp gauge rarely goes above the white block on the gauge only in traffic is this the norm?
    Thinking of getting castrol magnetic 10-40w. would this be recommended or is there better.
    any pointers on the rear window demister wire

IMAG0612.jpg

P1020492.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

P1020501.jpg

Advertisement