Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Submission Wrestling Tournament

• 30-04-2011 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Spartan Martial Arts and Fianna MMA are holding a submission wrestling tournament on the 25th and 26th of June.

The venue for the event will be Spartan Training Centre,Glen Abbey Industrial Estate,Belgard Road,Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Here is a google maps link of the venue

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?georestrict=input_srcid:9c2df42b8997c1c2&hl=en

The Weight Categories for this event will be the following for the Beginner ( under 1 year of Training) and Intermediate level (under 2 years of training).

Under 65kg,70kg,75kg,80kg,85kg,90kg,95kg,Open

Advanced Level (over 2 years of training) will be an Absolute of under 80kg and over 80kg.

Adults Tournament is on Saturday the 25th while on Sunday the 26th will be the Teens event.

Entry Fees are 25 euro (Adults) and 15 euro (Teens) and it is Pay on the Day

It will be a League Format so you will fight every one in your division... so plenty of matches :)

If anyone would like the register for this event please send the following Criteria to the following email

subwrestlingimpact@gmail.com

Name
    Weight
    Experience/Level

If anyone has any questions about the tournament you can PM me

Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Under 65kg,70kg,75kg,80kg,85kg,90kg,95kg,Open

Advanced Level (over 2 years of training) will be an Absolute of under 80kg and over 80kg

It will be a League Format so you will fight every one in your division... so plenty of matches :)

[/QUOTE]

This is great, another comp on the calendar :)

What rule set will be used? ibjjf weights are different, as with experience levels.

Will it be points based or submission/draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

The rules will be submission or draw...

We are gonna run it like the sub wrestling championships from the ucd days where if u won a match u receive 3 points and if u draw 1 and the person who has the most points wins there division.

In the case of a draw on points for a place in the top 3 the 2 people will fight again and if there is no winner it will be first for a takedown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

The rules will be submission or draw...

We are gonna run it like the sub wrestling championships from the ucd days where if u won a match u receive 3 points and if u draw 1 and the person who has the most points wins there division.

In the case of a draw on points for a place in the top 3 the 2 people will fight again and if there is no winner it will be first for a takedown.

might aswell just post breslinho his medal now to be honest.

Email address fixed for anyone who is looking to enter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

great looking forward to this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Are the weight divisions up to Open also for the teen event on the 26th?

As for the teens division we will make them on the day... we will look at age experience and weight on the day and match as close as possible.. we will try match as best we can and talk to the other coaches about it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Is this going to be IBJJF rules?

@Scaregilly do you mean points format ?

if so no it will be submission or draw only.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Can teens compete against adults?

• Advertisement

we want teens to compete against other teens as it seems the fairest way possible and probe the most enjoyable experience for teens.. as adults will have a strength advantage also it would not be the best idea for insurance reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

slammer187 wrote: »
    Can teens compete against adults?

Why not against other teens?

Why not against other teens?

Why not against adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

because in all sports there is a precedent to separate children from adults for legal, ethical and practical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

because in all sports there is a precedent to separate children from adults for legal, ethical and practical reasons.

so you think a 16/17 year old shouldn't be allowed compete against adults in a BJJ competition?

Chris89 wrote: »
    Why not against adults?

I was just wondering his reasons for wanting to go in the adults, not criticising it. Maybe he feels he is too good for the teens. I have no problems with teens competing with adults (since I have been doing that since I was 14), but I think if the choice is there then I agree with Sid Justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Cool, looks good.

Can you fill me in on the rules for legs locks please?

Thanks

NG-DOC wrote: »
    so you think a 16/17 year old shouldn't be allowed compete against adults in a BJJ competition?

Generally speaking no. If they want to, their parents have signed the waiver and their coach approves as does the organiser I don't see a big problem. Often there isn't much difference physically between a 16 year old and an 18 year old (but most of the time there is).

I think we should be promoting the junior, adult and senior distinction in BJJ and Submission. Encourage the guys in school to compete in the Junior section and encourage the guys significantly older to compete in the senior. Allow for cross-over as you feel fit.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Cool, looks good.

Can you fill me in on the rules for legs locks please?

Thanks

The rules for leg locks we will be applying are at beginner level not allowed. At intermediate straight leg legs only and at advanced straight leg locks and knee bars allowed and toe holds.... thanks Clive :).

As for the teens competing against adults... personally i don't have a problem especially in bjj competitions but for sub wrestling i would be a bit more hesitant as it is more explosive and fast paced so i think the risk of injury would be greater. But as Sid Justice said if a teen got a parent to sign a permission slip then i don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

I entered senior judo tournaments when i was 15 giving away 5kg! It depends on the kid wheter they're physically developed enough to compete with seniors.

• Advertisement

You were a beast though Gorey. Alonzo Henderson won the irish open when he was 15 years old ( i think). Karo Paryisan and Joe Stevenson were competing in pro mma as teenagers against adults. But all examples of exceptions to the rule. I had 17 year olds in my gym who would maul people in their 20s and I've had lads that are 15 who were very good technically but just couldn't compete with the physicality of 'man' physique rather than 'boy/teenager'.

Sorry Tallaght I'm not trying to rumble your thread, point is made and I'll let it go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It not really a question of fairness, it's more the case that of anything goes seriously wrong, mommy and daddy will be suing regardless of any waiver.

Just to clarify the leg lock rules is it straight ankle locks for intermediate, plus kneebars for advanced ie no toe holds at all?

sorry clive i forgot about toe holds when i posted my reply.... toe holds are allowed in the advanced division but not in intermediate level.

All the posts about liability are assuming the teenager is just going to get smashed buy some adult, I dont see why that would be the case as the divisions are done by weight and experience.

I could give a few examples of teenagers excelling in adult divisions on the irish and international circuit.

I could give a few examples of teenagers excelling in adult divisions on the irish and international circuit.

Please do, Irish in particular, since I am aware of guys like Gianni Grippo, Broadnaux brothers and Michael Liera jr.

Please do, Irish in particular, since I am aware of guys like Gianni Grippo, Broadnaux brothers and Michael Liera jr.

I remember Eoin Glynn doing very well in a seb torres submission tournament up north a couple of years ago, he is just 18 now. Submitting much older, stronger opponents, theres also a video of him flying armbarring some big guy at an IP tournament too.

I cant remember him ever doing a teen division to be honest, and that has definitely stood to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

It's their tournament and they can run it how they like.

Personally I think it's good of them to put on a teens division, not everyone is a total beast ready to take on all comers - this way they have a chance at a fairer competition.

It's their tournament and they can run it how they like.

Personally I think it's good of them to put on a teens division, not everyone is a total beast ready to take on all comers - this way they have a chance at a fairer competition.

Of course they can run it how they like, but if someone has confidence and the ability and they want to enter the adult division then its pretty weak to not let them.

Of course they can run it how they like, but if someone has confidence and the ability and they want to enter the adult division then its pretty weak to not let them.
    I thought he said they could provided they get a permission slip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

All the posts about liability are assuming the teenager is just going to get smashed buy some adult, I dont see why that would be the case as the divisions are done by weight and experience.

I'm certainly not saying that. What I am saying is that IF something terrible happens then the duty of care which should have been afforded to a minor is greater than an adult. School buses have seat belts not because the kids are definitely going to get smashed, but for the one time in a million they're needed.

I thought he said they could provided they get a permission slip?

Yeah he did, did you not read the rest of the thread?

I remember Eoin Glynn doing very well in a seb torres submission tournament up north a couple of years ago, he is just 18 now. Submitting much older, stronger opponents, theres also a video of him flying armbarring some big guy at an IP tournament too.

I cant remember him ever doing a teen division to be honest, and that has definitely stood to him.

I would imagine that there was no teenage category in these competitions, that is a different story. I would have no problem in a teenager going into the adults in that case, nearly all of my competitions since I was 13 or 14 were in adult division. I was just wondering in this case why the guy wanted to go into the adults, assuming it's because he thinks the standard would be lower in the teens, that's why I was wondering.

Also, to put it bluntly. There are so many BJJ competitions on, so what if one of them doesn't let teens into the adult division? Enter a different competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Yeah he did, did you not read the rest of the thread?
    So you know that they are allowing teens into the adult section. Why are you complaining about them not allowing teens into the adult section?

• Advertisement

Clive wrote: »
    I'm certainly not saying that. What I am saying is that IF something terrible happens then the duty of care which should have been afforded to a minor is greater than an adult. School buses have seat belts not because the kids are definitely going to get smashed, but for the one time in a million they're needed.

In any reputable tournament you have to sign an liability waiver regardless of your age, If in this case a parent signs the waiver and the teenager wants to do the adult division then fairplay to them.

The majority of teens train with adults on a daily basis so competing with them shouldnt be that different?

So you know that they are allowing teens into the adult section. Why are you complaining about them not allowing teens into the adult section?

I am having a discussion with the people who think that there is an issue with teens entering the adult division....

If you want to debate teens in adult divisions, do it in another thread.

I don't want people confusing any discussion about general rules with the specific rules that apply to this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

I was only asking if there was a mixed division between teens and adults, the only reason I asked was because if there is a chance for teens to compete against adults/adults to compete against teens there is a chance for more matches.

I also never stated whether I am a teen or adult,
    Can I also ask what difference age makes if divisions are done by weight and experience....what part does strength have to play?

slammer187 wrote: »
    Can I also ask what difference age makes if divisions are done by weight and experience....what part does strength have to play?

exactly my point

• Advertisement

Again i have no problem with teens competing with adults... some of my students have competed against adults and done well in competition.. again jiu jitsu is all about skill and the smaller guy being able to beat the bigger guy...

The main reason we want to hold the teen section is that we feel if teens are up against people of there own age and matches are evenly fought they are more likely to wanna compete and stick with the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I know when i was 17 i would have wanted to go against Adults my weight.

That's just the guy i am, I have a friend who is 17 but at the moment would only like to test himself against teens with the same experience.

Different folks, should be an avenue for all since the most important thing is that they want to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RandalVandal

If a teen is in the 90-95 weight class and there is no matches,what happens then?

Randalvandal you bring up a good point. hopefully it wont come to that but if there is no other teen close enough to that weight then we will try match him up with teens near enough to his weight.

Randalvandal you bring up a good point. hopefully it wont come to that but if there is no other teen close enough to that weight then we will try match him up with teens near enough to his weight.
    I Presume the other teen would have to agree to give up that much weight?
    If you cant find a match are they still able to attend the open division?

I Presume the other teen would have to agree to give up that much weight?
    If you cant find a match are they still able to attend the open division?

yes the teens would need to agree... as far as the open division that would be on the saturday not the sunday and if a teen wanted to compete they can but i would need a permision slip.

Can i ask you is this a general question or is it for yourself... as i know a few teens that compete in that weight bracket so hopefully they compete and we wont have this problem.

The questions for myself actually,im 97 Kilo right now man,im gonna go down to 90,lower if i can!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

No hope for an open weight class tournament for teens so?

ScareGilly wrote: »
    No hope for an open weight class tournament for teens so?

I doubt it very much.... it will depend on the number of teens we get and at what weight also.

Just a reminder guys that this is a pre register and pay on the day event .... anyone looking to register will have to pay a surplus charge...

So get your emails in :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement