Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVAST warnings, what to do

• 30-04-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Just after getting an 'AVAST Suspicious files found warning' with the file name Ca1528.sys.

Now every so ofter I get these warnings with some file in a windows system folder, I never know what to do with them.

The warning says please allow the files to be submitted to our virus lab for analysis, fair enough I think. However at the bottom the only options to take are ignore or delete.

So what am I meant to do, does the delete really mean that its going to put it in its virus lab for analysis or is it going to just delete the file.

How am I meant to know if it is actually a virus or not, avast just tells me its suspicious. I tried googling the file and it turns out the main problem in relation to this file is it going missing or something. There is actually meant to be a file of that name there like.

I think in the past I've just told it to ignore in case it was some important system file, but this time I thought I'd try figure it out. Well by figure it out I mean be lazy and ask here and hope someone can explain. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its in the windows\system32\drivers folder, it seems its a driver for digital camera or something along those lines.

I uploaded to VirusTotal don't really understand the results, its listed a load of antivirus programs which I think all say it is a virus. Although the result column is just a load of blanks.

Thing is what I'm wondering, if this is a legitimate file and I delete it, do I not then mess up my computer by deleting important files.

How do I know when the antivirus is wrong and I shouldn't delete files, or is there even a way of doing this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its probably a false positive, the best thing you can do is email avast a copy of the file, they can analyze it and if clean they will fix the definitions,

Nick

Advertisement