Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leptop Stolen

• 30-04-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi all.

Can someone please let me know if a laptop is stolen and it is password protected, can they get at the data?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

verywell wrote: »
    Hi all.

Can someone please let me know if a laptop is stolen and it is password protected, can they get at the data?

Thank you.

Is it just your login that has a password?

If so, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

When I start it I have to enter a password to access everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

When I start it I have to enter a password to access everything.

Then your data is easily accessed.

For future reference, what can I do to protect my data for the next laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Encrypt it / do not leave it in Trim.

• Advertisement

Install truecrypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

have a password at the bios screen
    its the screen that loads the second you turn on your laptop

Thanks all. When I get the money together for another one, I will come back to ask you about truecrypt and the bios screen if you don't mind.

bobdole968 wrote: »
    have a password at the bios screen
    its the screen that loads the second you turn on your laptop

That doesn't secure anything and is quite easily removed. The hard drive could just be removed from the laptop and connected to another computer and the data would be accessible.

Encrypting the hard drive with something like truecrypt is the only way of protecting the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Hi all.

Thank you.

I would guess that the majority of laptop thieves are not tech savvy and probably get the laptop wiped somewhere.

If a "hard drive lock" password was enabled in the BIOS, your data would not be "easily accessible".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

There is also software that allows the data to be wiped remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

the majority of thieves would not know how to get past the bios password.
    chances are if they are steeling it they would want to sell it on again or use it themselves. most thieves are only after the hardware eg sell laptop for 300€
    more advance thieves might search your comp for credit card details etc.

there is 2 approaches really
    the first, would be to password/ encrypt it but if a thief cant get into it or install a new os he might just throw it in the bin. you will never see your laptop again

second, little security at all but put a tracker program on the laptop and always write down the serial number of the laptop if the guards ever come across it

skip to 3:20 in the video

Is the website that I use to download it? http://www.truecrypt.org/

Also, I am not that tech savy myself. Is there anything that I should be aware of when using this? Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Also, I am not that tech savy myself. Is there anything that I should be aware of when using this? Thank you.

Yes that's it. Have a read of the instructions on the site and if you've any questions then post back.

Truecrypt is great. The one thing I will say is, make sure you have a backup of your data, either online or at home/work. Data recovery from a broken/dying hard drive with encryption on it is quite difficult.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Truecrypt is great. The one thing I will say is, make sure you have a backup of your data, either online or at home/work. Data recovery from a broken/dying hard drive with encryption on it is quite difficult.

And to add to the above. Whether you use truecrypt or not backup, backup, backup!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

+1 on backup, I personally use dropbox which I've found to be extremely handy

Thankfully I had my stuff backed-up so all was not lost :)

drunk_monk wrote: »
    +1 on backup, I personally use dropbox which I've found to be extremely handy

To add (again ;) ) Online I use sugarsync for files (docs etc), flickr for pics and videos. And I've two identical 1tb western digital elements drives with everything. I only back up data because if my system is stolen or breaks I'd prefer a clean install rather than a restore. Just my personal preference.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    To add (again ;) ) Online I use sugarsync for files (docs etc), flickr for pics and videos. And I've two identical 1tb western digital elements drives with everything. I only back up data because if my system is stolen or breaks I'd prefer a clean install rather than a restore. Just my personal preference.

Is sugarsync the same thing as dropbox?

• Advertisement

Pretty much but I prefer it to dropbox although I use both. It gives you 5gb free data space instead of the dropbox 2gb.

Thank you!

I am reading the truecrypt documentation and when it says create truecrypt volume what does that mean exactly?

The volume is the harddrive or section of the hard drive that you're encrypting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Be wary of encrypting stuff without knowing the full consequences of any problems that may arise.

In work I deal with a number of people throughout the course of a year who have encrypted files and can't get access to them for one reason or another. There's no problem directly with the encryption and I would recommend it for someone looking to secure data, but what people often fail to realise is that once it's encrypted *properly* you can't get it back without the key. If you forget the key, or the file gets corrupted (so the key doesn't 'fit' any more) then you have almost no chance of getting your stuff back. As in, we're talking the .001% on the flip side of the oft quoted 99.999%.

It really comes down to the fact that encryption is *supposed* to be a strong protective measure. If it was easy for the bloke on the service desk to decrypt your stuff then it would be easy for the determined thief to do the same.

Encryption is good, but you really need to be aware that a glitch (power cut at exactly the wrong moment, for example, or something as simple as you forgetting the key/password) could render all your data unusable to you in the blink of an eye. As others have said, backup.

z

It was more to do with the thought of others going through my stuff that is/was driving me mad.

Not too sure if i am keen on the encryption idea anymore now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can choose to only encrypt a certain part of the computer, like a folder or a partition. Then keep your secrets in there.
    It'll be like a password protected folder, only stronger.

Thank you. i will give that a go.

Advertisement