Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing starter cord on lawnmower

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi all, has anyone any experience replacing the pull cord on a lawnmower? I've had to shorten mine twice due to breaks over the years and the next time it breaks I'm not sure it'll be long enough. Are they mower-specific or a universal fit item, I wonder?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Universal- I currently have builders' line on my old banger :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

here you can find how to do it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYWUo3EpGw&feature=related

you can buy good cord in hardware shop,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

The chord broke away from the mower today, can I re-attach it to the starter motor somehow? Is it easy to do or do I need to bring the mower in for repair? The chord which broke away is still quite long.

Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The chord broke away from the mower today, can I re-attach it to the starter motor somehow? Is it easy to do or do I need to bring the mower in for repair? The chord which broke away is still quite long.

Any advice anyone?

I assume you mean the pulley from a push mower.Easy peasy. Take off the cover over the engine and cut the existing cord.Get a new one, if not a standard size, get one thats too long, you can always cut it.Wind up the pulley with your hand ( the right way;)) or some tool if you prefer until it stops.Then unwind back a little until the hole in the pulley lines up with the hole in the cover.Clamp the pulley with mole grips or similar.Feed the cord through both holes possibly with some wire on the cord to help it and tie a knot.Oh, make sure you have the cord handle grip on the cord before you start.Release the clamp and bobs your uncle.

Advertisement