Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting a Heavy handed mod!

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I would like to report a mod for his heavy handed approach.
    I was reading with interest this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056252655
    , I had not actually posted in the thread myself but was interested in the debate. For-as far as I can see-no reason the thread was locked by LeixlipRed for his stated reason "I go for a game of football and I come back to this rubbish *waves bye to thread*" ! Clearly the footie did not go well.
    I do understand that if a thread is locked for a reason that opening another one will ensure it too will be locked, however another poster took the essential point of the locked thread and started another-IMHO-valid thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056253014.
    LeixlipRed made this unnecessary comment "If this descends into rubbish like the other thread it'll be locked." And the rest as they say is history! Another locked thread and at least one person banned.
    The user should never have been banned, and the thread never have been locked in the first instance.
    Extreme heavy handed moderation IMHO.
    Regards
    PaulieBoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The thread was locked because it was 9 pages of a circular argument filled with personal abuse and stupid posts. If it stayed open I would have had to go through it and infract every single poster who had broken the charter and I'm only one mod in a normally quiet forum.

Then the second thread opens and I warned people to not let it descend into an argument again. A poster comes on thread after sending me an abusive PM and acts the smart arse. I warn him on thread not to do it again. He does, he gets banned. Another poster done similarily. I banned him too, closed the thread. Seems cut and dry to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You provoked an incident in the second thread, and the first thread was not nearly as bad as you suggest.
    However I am clearly pushing against a brick wall around here so I will leave it at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    You provoked an incident in the second thread, and the first thread was not nearly as bad as you suggest.
    However I am clearly pushing against a brick wall around here so I will leave it at that.
    It's unfair to take that view simply because one pre-moderated response was missed. Nobody is out to get you. It was a simple oversight. The Help Desk mods are completely impartial regarding the outcome of complaints, and we're here just to make sure things tick over in a timely manner.

Don't forget the role of Help Desk mod is a new role and we are doing our best to make sure everyone gets a chance to be heard.

psni wrote: »
    It's unfair to take that view simply because one pre-moderated response was missed. Nobody is out to get you. It was a simple oversight. The Help Desk mods are completely impartial regarding the outcome of complaints, and we're here just to make sure things tick over in a timely manner.

Don't forget the role of Help Desk mod is a new role and we are doing our best to make sure everyone gets a chance to be heard.
    Your clearly not reading my posts correctly!
    To quote your good self :
    Stick to your issue as outlined above, and you're far more likely to be taken seriously.

My above post is in reference to the original incident, not in reference to my other thread.
    Please read before you accuse! It's the second time you have got it wrong.
    Kind regards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The reason I wrote "Stick to your issue as outlined above, and you're far more likely to be taken seriously." was because you wrote:
    PaulieBoy wrote:
    Your lucky! My complaint about a mod is just being ignored.
    I guess you don't complain about mods around these parts, they don't like it...

on another thread which had nothing to do with you. This comment is just perpetuating the unfair and untrue claim that we are in some way out to stifle complaints, which is not correct.

One pre-moderated response was missed, and you feel so aggrieved that you went and posted in someone else's thread. I'm sorry, but I'm sure you'll find that the thread you started today was responded to within a timely, which is what we're aiming for as the Help Desk starts to become more functional.

Whatever way you want your original complaint handled is now up to you. I will approve whatever you post, as you post it.

• Advertisement

Whatever way you want your original complaint handled is now up to you. I will approve whatever you post, as you post it.
    I have already answered your question.
    To quote myself "However I am clearly pushing against a brick wall around here so I will leave it at that. "

I'm done with the complaint thanks as it's never going nowhere. Which is fair enough, I make a complaint and it's up to whoever to decide what they decide. I may not like it, but that's life!
    I also note it's not the first complaint agains said mod, but there ya go.
    Regards.

Yes, but the reason you initially said you were pushing against a brick wall was because your pre-moderated reply hadn't been approved, for which Spear has apologised.

As per my earlier post, if you are not happy with the moderator's response to your complaint, you can request a senior CMod to review the happenings, who is also impartial.

The reason I highlight this once again is because I don't want you to be disillusioned by the procedure we have in place, or feel that there is a bias in favour of moderators, because this is not the case. You will see from the DRP forum that complaints and appeals have been upheld against moderators if a strong enough case is put forward.

I respect your desire to leave it go, but I just wanted to once again let you know that there are other avenues of appeal/recourse available to you for your consideration if you are unhappy with the response from the moderator who you are complaining about.

Yes, but the reason you initially said you were pushing against a brick wall was because your pre-moderated reply hadn't been approved, for which Spear has apologised.
    I'm really sorry about this but your wrong. I further resent you doing you level best to twist what I said. What I said in this thread is about this thread, it was, it is and it will continue to be the case.
    My comment "that I was pushing against a wall" is NOT about Spear, pre-moderation, or any other such topic. It's about my complaint about poor moderation. I thanked Spear in the other thread and that was the end of that thread.

I really hope you understand and accept this, as I'm running out of ways to explain that what I wrote is what I wrote and not what you would like it to be!
    Thank you.

Fair enough, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it's unintentional. I have nothing to gain by deliberately twisting what you say, and it's very unfortunate that you perceive it this way instead of the honest misunderstanding that it really is.

Again, for the record, I'm sorry that I've confused the posts from the threads that are running concurrently here. I do understand it, and I do accept it, and I have no agenda here other than to make sure things run nice and smoothly, so apologies for any upset caused.
    PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I'm really sorry about this but your wrong. I further resent you doing you level best to twist what I said. What I said in this thread is about this thread, it was, it is and it will continue to be the case.
    My comment "that I was pushing against a wall" is NOT about Spear, pre-moderation, or any other such topic. It's about my complaint about poor moderation. I thanked Spear in the other thread and that was the end of that thread.

I really hope you understand and accept this, as I'm running out of ways to explain that what I wrote is what I wrote and not what you would like it to be!
    Thank you.

Again, for the record, I'm sorry that I've confused the posts from the threads that are running concurrently here.
    An easy mistake to make.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement