Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing degree

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am currently in a role I dont enjoy and I am thinking of switching careers. I am currently thinking of doing a Nursing. I already have a degree in Computer Sci and Maths from an NUI so I have to pay fees if I want to do a course in Ireland.

Obviously I have missed all the deadlines for starting September so I plan to continue on my role for a while and save money.

What courses should I be looking at? What should I do in the mean time? Like how would I go about getting experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I was the same, degree in computer applications and didn't like it. If you are over 23 you can go the mature student route or if you have the points in your leaving you can just do it that way.

What type of nursing are you interested in? 3 main areas - General, psychiatric and intellectual disability (I.D). You can also do general and pediatrics. I worked as a care assistant all through college in an I.D setting.

I'd recommend possibly trying to get some volunteer work in a suitable area to make sure you like it. Will also look well and show you are interested. This year however the mature route only took the aptitude test into account, there was no interview.

There are fetac pre-nursing courses available, and also access courses run by UCD (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

I am 23 but I dont have the points (only got mid 300s) so I have to go down the mature route.

I want to go for general nursing. I have zero experience in this area but I have always been interested in it. But yeah I would want for myself to do some experience as I dont want to turn around in 3 years time and say its not for me.

What would I be looking for fees wise? Would it be cheaper for me do it in the UK?

It's a 4 year BSc. I think it's about 7k a year or there abouts... I'm really not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows better? Not sure about the UK, think they're charging full fees to those who are not British nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Crap I forgot about full fees coming back in for the UK, it would have suited me a bit better as its a year less (not getting any younger) and I currently earn sterling.

So which courses should I be looking at in Ireland/UK?

For pre-courses or fulltime? Depends where you are gonna be planning on living. UCD, DCU & Trinity would be your choices if living in Dublin. Really up to you, look at cao.ie or the nursing board also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

The good news about the UK is that the NHS pays the tuition fees, (even for non-UK students). And the course over there is only three years long. Your fourth year here is spent working, and being paid 80% of a starting salary. The government are looking at reducing this figure to nothing over the next several years.

Advertisement