Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce in NUIG

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Heya, i'm hoping to do commerce next year but not sure whether to go to NUIG or UCD..
    Any suggestions??? :)
    Haven't a clue what to do so all suggestions would help?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

eimsbgl wrote: »
    Heya, i'm hoping to do commerce next year but not sure whether to go to NUIG or UCD..
    thanks

Commerce in NUIG is quite good, very good for specalisation with a healthy amount of choices (postgrad/masters) to do after your degree. They're both 3 year degrees so they are quite concentrated.

Be prepared for your workload to jump after 1st year. Your 2nd and 3rd year results both make up your final degree grade so beware of that and work well in second year.

Facilities are excellent, lecturers are on the most part extremely helpful, mindful and caring about you, your work and your performance.

I wouldn't put much between the courses, it just comes down to where you want to live. Galway is a lovely, mostly chilled out place with a decent night life scene. Theres loads of clubs and societies to join here too.

As a student who was once in your position, and chose commerce in NUIG I don't regret it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sophia91

eimsbgl wrote: »
    thanks

Hey this time last year i was deciding between commerce in nuig or ucd and chose nuig! absolutely loved it and had the best year ever in galway.....in fact i'd prefer no summer hols n wud luv to be in gal for the summer!!
    the course can get a bit boring at times but thats just commerce in general not the college! Nuig has a great atmosphere about it and everyone is really friendly so it wasnt nearly as hard to settle in as I thought it would be seen as none of my friends from school went to galway! so basically i'm saying u won't regret going to nuig! If u hav q's just pm me n gud luck in the leavin wud hate to be doin it again!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _Gracieee

hey guys

I am also considering commerce this year in nuig. There's just a few questions I have :)

1. Is the course VERY maths based? I noticed that there are economics, accounting, and maths modules. Do you find yourself always doing maths?

2. Are there many tutorials? I prefer these to the huge lecture classes!

3. Do any of the modules cover communications? I think Id like to go into PR once i;ve finished the degree.

Thanks a mill! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lalalovely

Ill say the same thing I said in the other thread about Commerce in NUIG...

I was once considering the commerce degree, but then I found B.I.S. (Business Information Systems).

Its defo a good one to check out - 4 years, small class sizes, your own lab for each year with key card access that only BIS have access to, lecturers that actually know who you are, possibility to study in America for a semester, paid work placement in 3rd year (work placement is not offered to Commerce students).

Most importantly, you get the mix of technology and business which is what most employers are looking for these days since everything is online.

People from this degree get jobs at loads of multinational companies, and I was very successful in the pursuit of a job this year (currently in my last year).

Seriously kicks Commerce's a** in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

lalalovely wrote: »
    Ill say the same thing I said in the other thread about Commerce in NUIG...

I was once considering the commerce degree, but then I found B.I.S. (Business Information Systems).

Its defo a good one to check out - 4 years, small class sizes, your own lab for each year with key card access that only BIS have access to, lecturers that actually know who you are, possibility to study in America for a semester, paid work placement in 3rd year (work placement is not offered to Commerce students).

Most importantly, you get the mix of technology and business which is what most employers are looking for these days since everything is online.

People from this degree get jobs at loads of multinational companies, and I was very successful in the pursuit of a job this year (currently in my last year).

but maybe they don't want to be stuck in front of a computer all day like a monkey, a highly trained monkey but still a monkey.

• Advertisement

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    but maybe they don't want to be stuck in front of a computer all day like a monkey, a highly trained monkey but still a monkey.

And what makes you qualified to make this statement?

The skill set that a BIS Graduate enters the workplace with includes (but is not limited to) Programming (many languages), Databases, Management, Lean and Agile Methodologies, Project Management, E-Commerce, Web Design and a wide range of practical elements that include multiple presentations, hands on virtual team experience and industry experience.

So much more than "stuck in front of a computer all day".
    I'd hate to graduate from a B.Comm degree and have to be "stuck doing someones taxes all day".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was once considering the commerce degree, but then I found B.I.S. (Business Information Systems)...

And Grace'll have no need to worry about the Maths content.

The skill set that a BIS Graduate enters the workplace with includes (but is not limited to) Programming (many languages), Databases, Management, Lean and Agile Methodologies, Project Management, E-Commerce, Web Design and a wide range of practical elements that include multiple presentations, hands on virtual team experience and industry experience.

Are those some of the fancy words you learn to make it seem like you're doing something other than being stuck in front of a computer like a monkey
    Anyway commerce teaches you how to bullsh*t, and we all know that it's the bullsh*t that gets you places you script monkey

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    Anyway commerce teaches you how to bullsh*t

So its true, Commerce is just bullsh*t.
    Are you bitter that you wasted 3 years of your life?

I don't know, but I already have a job got. But that's should be of no concern for you, as you go about being just another monkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I'd imagine it hurts...........having that giant chip on your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Ladies, behave yourselves.

NUIG is the best college in Ireland. You will enjoy every minute and thats what counts. You will have the same letters after your name in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

R.I.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

The above fight is hilarious! Girls they are both very good degrees and from what I hear BIS is a lot harder to pass than Commerce but im not siding with anyone!

Original Post definately go NUI Galway it has everything Dublin has but smaller and easier to get around. The craic is unreal. Go corrib village to get to know people and you will have the best 3/4 years of your life

Advertisement