Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Wedding Ride-Out.

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Non horsey person here,so bear with me.

Regarding the unseating of the Guardsman and the well publicised bolting of his horse during the festivities,are there any opinions on what happened here ?

I'm particularly interested in the somewhat opposing views coming from the media on the day.

The first was it was a relatively minor incident and fully controlled by other horsemen.

The second view,perhaps supported by the tv images was of a potentially disasterous situation which took some time to be controlled.

One early Sky News report spoke of the unfortunate Guardsman being bawled out by an Officer and marched off to the Tower or somesuch place ?

Anybody with military/cavalary experience venture an opinion ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

I saw the incident. It could have been very dangerous.
    Such incidents occur.
    The guardsman should not have been bawled out of it by his superior.
    If it was me, I'd have told him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Well those horse are unbelivably well trained to stay in formation. In saying that, even the most bomb-proof of horses can (and obviously did) spook.
    As far as I know, it was well controlled. The media have a job and that job generally involves a big hulabaloo about nothing so they can sell stories. I wouldn't completely trust their version of such events :)

It's difficult to know what really happened to be honest. The guardsman shouldn't have been given out to, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There are protocols for these events and they are about as well controlled as can be, Sky News wouldn't blow something out of proportion would they :)

Advertisement