Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upsetting Situation

• 30-04-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

i just wanted to post about something that I saw yesterday and have witnessed many times before. I thought about it afterwards about what i could do so I decided posting here might do something. I often go into the spar shop across from where smiths toys use to be. Always liked their food and have nice seats outside. Going in there for years. However i was so upset yesterday by what happened I don't think I can go in there again. The boss/ owner don't know what he is constantly shouts at, critises and humilates his staff in front of customers. He was shouting and giving out about some timer yesterday and you could see that two of this staff where visibily upset. It didn't matter that there was customers in the store and that it was very humiliating for the staff. I haven't one complaint about anyone working there. they have always been very polite and friendly to me whenever I've shopped there. I was very upset yesterday when i left the store and thought about what I could do. It isn't my problem but it's just horrible situation to watch and do nothing about.

So if the guy the runs the place reads this or if you know him will you please tell him IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE IN THE MANNER IN WHICH HE DOES IN PRIVATE OR IN PUBLIC. NOT ONLY IS BAD FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES BUT IT'S BAD FOR BUSINESS BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE NOTICING AND DON'T LIKE GOING IN THERE BECAUSE OF IT.
    DEVELOP SOME HUMANITY. GROW UP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

yogalady wrote: »
    i just wanted to post about something that I saw yesterday and have witnessed many times before. I thought about it afterwards about what i could do so I decided posting here might do something. I often go into the spar shop across from where smiths toys use to be. Always liked their food and have nice seats outside. Going in there for years. However i was so upset yesterday by what happened I don't think I can go in there again. The boss/ owner don't know what he is constantly shouts at, critises and humilates his staff in front of customers. He was shouting and giving out about some timer yesterday and you could see that two of this staff where visibily upset. It didn't matter that there was customers in the store and that it was very humiliating for the staff. I haven't one complaint about anyone working there. they have always been very polite and friendly to me whenever I've shopped there. I was very upset yesterday when i left the store and thought about what I could do. It isn't my problem but it's just horrible situation to watch and do nothing about.

So if the guy the runs the place reads this or if you know him will you please tell him IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE IN THE MANNER IN WHICH HE DOES IN PRIVATE OR IN PUBLIC. NOT ONLY IS BAD FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES BUT IT'S BAD FOR BUSINESS BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE NOTICING AND DON'T LIKE GOING IN THERE BECAUSE OF IT.

You are not the first person to mention this on Boards over the last few years.

I have seen the same thing happen in that shop myself and as a result I will buy nothing there and have made sure to let people know about it.

The unfortunate thing is that some people are just pig ignorant and leave having a little bit of money go to their heads, letting them believe they can treat people like dirt and employees like possessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

You should speak up and tell him it is unacceptable and as a result he has lost a customer and you are going to complain to his boss about his behavior and then actually go and do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

I would be wary of approaching the guy directly if the shouting was as bad as you say. Here's the link from the Spar website to make your experience known.

Spar is a franchise operation, so individual stores are privately owned, they use the buying power of the larger organisation to keep prices down and compete with the major stores.

The owner/manager of the store could lose his franchise if its found he's bringing the Spar brand into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

PeakOutput wrote: »
    You should speak up and tell him it is unacceptable and as a result he has lost a customer and you are going to complain to his boss about his behavior and then actually go and do it
    If it's who I believe it is, then he is the boss:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

The_Dave wrote: »
    If it's who I believe it is, then he is the boss:(

WOuld he be the owner of the franchise though? If you think he is then contacting head office as described above would be the best option.

I know its a pain in the ass but I guess you need to decide for youreslf (the op that is) how much it actually bothers you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Look people. I can tell you right now you are wasting your time with anything other than voicing your concerns to the owner himself.

His name is Mike Gleeson(mods - freely available public information btw http://books.independent.ie/show-agents/limerick )

It is his store. It is not a franchise. It is part of a symbol group and he does not report on such issues to BWG.

The gripe of the OP is between Mike and the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hi all

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice. I was very upset with myself yesterday that I didn't say something. I suppose if I see it again then best thing to do is to mention it to him directly in a polite and firm manner.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in there a few years ago, getting something for my lunch, he (Mike himself) was serving an elderly lady, she as was probably her wont was trying to engage in bit of chat, he had a queue building up but was trying to be nice but move her along, when it came to the guy next in the queue, Mike threw his eyes up top heaven and almost immediately, the lady turned and the guy in queue said "hi auntie Kathleen", Mike's face dropped with embarrassment, how I enjoyed it.

I've since stopped shopping there and in what was his father's shop as both seemed a bit agressive to their staff and customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

The amazing thing about it is all the staff in there are very nice to customers. I don't know how they manage it when they are being treated very disrespectfully by their boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Berty wrote: »
    Look people. I can tell you right now you are wasting your time with anything other than voicing your concerns to the owner himself.

It is his store. It is not a franchise. It is part of a symbol group and he does not report on such issues to BWG.

The gripe of the OP is between Mike and the OP.

The store may be his, but if he's trading under the Spar name he has certain standards to adhere to. Spar would be very unhappy to know their name is being seen in a bad light in the area. By all means speak to the man himself, but if he has anger management issues....

I always found my staff put in more effort when treated with respect. I had happy staff, and customers noticed, and that in itself brought in more customers.

As they say, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The amazing thing about it is all the staff in there are very nice to customers. I don't know how they manage it when they are being treated very disrespectfully by their boss

Unfortunately the way the job market is currently those employees probably tolerate it out of necessity more than choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Funny I misread this at first and thought you were talking about staff in a toyshop. The description still made that guy come to mind.

I used to go into that shop regularly, and I've seen what you're talking about a load of times. He is quite smarmy towards customers then. I was always short with him whenever I ended up being served by him. You are right though, people should say something to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have seen the owners of that Spar shop screaming across the shop at their staff and also being verbally abusive to them behind the counter.

I worked in an office in Mount Kennett and there were 10 of us in the office and everyone of us noted that we had seen such an incident in that shop at different times.

I now work in an office on O'Connell Street and the Spar shop in question came up in conversation and unprompted two colleagues mentioned that that had seen the owners being very rude to staff members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I came across a similar situation recently in a filing station just outside Charleville. It was relatively quiet on a Saturday morning and the female boss/owner was giving one of the workers quite a dressing down over his work ethic. It wasn't being done in a corner, she was walking around with him. Lets put it this way, she wasn't exactly sparing the 4-letter words either!

I have to say, it was a disgraceful way to treat a staff member, firstly to speak to them in that manner and secondly to do it publicly where others could hear.

She may have had a point in relation to his work ethic, I don't know, but to do it in the manner that she did was totally unacceptable.

I fully intended to say something, but she had vanished by the time I got to the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Speaking to someone in that manner to a member of staff would be considered harrassment imo, and I would straight away report it, and advise the staff member themselves that they can report it to the higher ups, if you see it happening; take the staff members name and contact spar: http://www.spar.ie/contact.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Might be something to do with the particular family - was in the Spar in Castletroy at lunch and what seemed like the manager (a lady) was cleaning up around the tables and all of sudden says "oh for **** sake"

Obviously not a good day for her

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rapidmike

:)hi guys
    MIKE GLEESON is the name and reality is the game ,,,,,,
    The first thing id like to say is I,M SORRY for any offence caused by any of my actions in my stores . I have always tried to give the best service possible to all my customers and to treat all my staff with respect ..we work in a very intense small environment where it can get heated from time to time much like a kitchen in a restaurant and in the ireland of today with staff levels at an all time low tempers can get frayed !!
    If any of the persons who have been upset with my actions or words would like to call into the shop in the next week for a coffee or spend a bit of time with us behind the counter to get a feel for dealing with the public please call in and say hi !!!!!
    ILL BE THE ONE WEARING MY BOARDS! CYCLING KIT
    PS
    Thank you very much for all the nice comments about my staff ,they are ranked the second highest for customer service in the country ,,,
    If i improve we might get first???
    yours
    Mike gleeson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Well done for having the balls to come on and say sorry!
    Did someone point out the thread to you or did you come across it randomly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

phill106 wrote: »
    Well done for having the balls to come on and say sorry!
    Did someone point out the thread to you or did you come across it randomly?

Would 2nd that but would also say actions speak louder than words, lets wait and see if there is an improvement in how staff matters are dealt with by the manager/boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I thought this thread would just be a mindless rant, but several other posters have backed the OP up.

Last time I bought something in that shop was around February, don't think I'll be going back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

reality is the game ,,,,,,

The reality is you do not know what effect your abusive bullyish attiude to staff has.When they leave to go home, i am sure they have taken there problems with them from the day,and hate the thoughts of going in there again for their next shift.

in the ireland of today with staff levels at an all time low tempers can get frayed !!

Mate,in the Ireland of the Celtic tiger you were still the same,the staff could nt get the customers away from the deli counter or away from the tills quick enough.While both the staff and customers help line your pockets!

Hee hee you wont be getting that award, "A LEOPARD DOESNT CHANGE HIS SPOTS"

yours
    Mike gleeson[/QUOTE]

Well done trying to explain yourself,but i dont think you would be able to cater for people with coffees or teas that you have pissed off,and if you do im sure the staff will feel the brunt of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Rapidmike wrote: »

The first thing id like to say is I,M SORRY for any offence caused by any of my actions in my stores . I have always tried to give the best service possible to all my customers and to treat all my staff with respect ..
    Mike gleeson

Like the rest , I say fair play for coming on and commenting on the situation .

One question , would you agree that you should not be reprimanding staff in front of costumers or even in front of other staff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Rapidmike wrote: »
    MIKE GLEESON is the name and reality is the game ,,,,,,
    The first thing id like to say is I,M SORRY for any offence caused by any of my actions in my stores . I have always tried to give the best service possible to all my customers and to treat all my staff with respect ..we work in a very intense small environment where it can get heated from time to time much like a kitchen in a restaurant and in the ireland of today with staff levels at an all time low tempers can get frayed !!
    If any of the persons who have been upset with my actions or words would like to call into the shop in the next week for a coffee or spend a bit of time with us behind the counter to get a feel for dealing with the public please call in and say hi !!!!!
    ILL BE THE ONE WEARING MY BOARDS! CYCLING KIT
    PS
    Thank you very much for all the nice comments about my staff ,they are ranked the second highest for customer service in the country ,,,
    yours
    Mike gleeson

surely this has to be someone taking the p*ss take haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

The shop has the best deli in Limerick, you get in and out fast. Thats what I want! Always found the staff friendly including the owners. Thats Mon-Fri over the last 6 years. Anyone can have a bad day (let he who is without sin cast the first stone) If he is so bad - why are all the same staff there for the last 6 years through the celtic Tiger? :D Hope Renata stays there another 6 years and keeps making my sandwich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I've been studying at BPP on O' Connell street and this Spar is the closest shop to us so I regularly go there for a sandwich on the weekends.

I've also witnessed the staff being treated pretty badly a few times.

Seriously its not cool to act like this in front of the customers. It must be totally degrading for the staff. I'm surprised they've stayed there so long. They all seem to be pretty sound aswel.

Also the prices are ridiculous to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

Look at specials posters, always good offers. Got a good heavy roll & soup today for under a fiver.

Asked my sandwich maker today about owner, he had a brain injury that nearly killed him over a year ago and is just getting back to work full time, maybe give the guy a break instead of kicking him when he is down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The part of me that was a staff member is thinking ah don't shout at staff ever never mind in front of customers.

The part of me that was a manager is thinking i don't know what he was shouting at the staff for, maybe it was justified.

The part of me that's a customer says great rolls mmmm but be nicer to people ffs

The Joe Duffy part of my brain is all the time screaming this is a disgrace rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

big fellow wrote: »
    Look at specials posters, always good offers. Got a good heavy roll & soup today for under a fiver.

Asked my sandwich maker today about owner, he had a brain injury that nearly killed him over a year ago and is just getting back to work full time, maybe give the guy a break instead of kicking him when he is down?

Hi Mike........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Roadend wrote: »
    Hi Mike........

Mike already posted on this thread, from his own account.

Report posts if you think they're dodgy, rather than quoting/replying and giving them extra attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't know Mike. Put back in the Insomnia Coffee and all will be forgiven. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement