Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upsetting Situation

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

big fellow wrote: »
    The shop has the best deli in Limerick, you get in and out fast. Thats what I want! Always found the staff friendly including the owners. Thats Mon-Fri over the last 6 years. Anyone can have a bad day (let he who is without sin cast the first stone) If he is so bad - why are all the same staff there for the last 6 years through the celtic Tiger? :D Hope Renata stays there another 6 years and keeps making my sandwich!

Good question, I know of plenty of staff who quit because of his temper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

Agree with previous writer, can we start a campaign to get back insomnia, tim hortons is just too mild, having to go down street to arabica to get a coffee on mornings after night before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Great deli to i try to avoid this shop over prices.Yes they do deals meal combos etc but when i was charged 4.20 for a basic roll i just stopped going there,i just go to Dunnes now for my roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Rapidmike wrote: »
    :)hi guys
    MIKE GLEESON is the name and reality is the game ,,,,,,
    The first thing id like to say is I,M SORRY for any offence caused by any of my actions in my stores . I have always tried to give the best service possible to all my customers and to treat all my staff with respect ..we work in a very intense small environment where it can get heated from time to time much like a kitchen in a restaurant and in the ireland of today with staff levels at an all time low tempers can get frayed !!
    If any of the persons who have been upset with my actions or words would like to call into the shop in the next week for a coffee or spend a bit of time with us behind the counter to get a feel for dealing with the public please call in and say hi !!!!!
    ILL BE THE ONE WEARING MY BOARDS! CYCLING KIT
    PS
    Thank you very much for all the nice comments about my staff ,they are ranked the second highest for customer service in the country ,,,
    If i improve we might get first???
    yours
    Mike gleeson

Mike,

Well done for coming in here and posting, that's more then most places would give.

But still I refuse to shop in a place that treats it's staff the way your shop does. I used to live near your shop and went in a few times and every time it was so tense that it made me sorry I went in. I decided to go to other places to get the few bits and pieces even though your shop was the closest.

You have a long way to go when it comes to human decency I think and until then you won't be seeing any of my money and that of many of my friend's who I have warned off.

You say your working area gets heated like a restaurant kitchen and that's why you yell? That's not an excuse. Restaurant kitchens are almost always out of view of the customer. You are demeaning you staff in front of at least a dozen people daily.

My 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

The shop has the best deli in Limerick, you get in and out fast. Thats what I want! Always found the staff friendly including the owners. Thats Mon-Fri over the last 6 years. Anyone can have a bad day (let he who is without sin cast the first stone) If he is so bad - why are all the same staff there for the last 6 years through the celtic Tiger? :D Hope Renata stays there another 6 years and keeps making my sandwich!

i live quite close to this shop, in there on an almost daily basis simply because i always pass it on my way out to work in the morning or on my way home, i'll pop in for a paper, coffee, and smokes, and the same staff have NOT always been there the last six years! it's only in the last two years that staff turnover has settled down a bit, although every couple of weeks still there's still a new face or a familiar face has disappeared!

honestly overall i wouldn't have anything bad to say about the shop (the staff are ABSOLUTELY a credit to it!) except the new layout is horrible, i preferred when the deli didnt take up so much of the shop and the actual grocery part wasn't crammed down the back like an afterthought! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

xsiborg wrote: »
    except the new layout is horrible, i preferred when the deli didnt take up so much of the shop and the actual grocery part wasn't crammed down the back like an afterthought! :(

We cannot blame the Gleeons for that. BWG/Spar thought up that bright idea. You wouldn't believe how much trouble painting the ceiling and everything on it black was. Look up the next time, pain the rear. Actually if I remember correctly some of the equipment in the "new shop" in the Deli is actually from the old shop. It's just the fascia of the deli which changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Did he have a shop on the corner on Glentworth street a few years back?

Got a massive Chicken + Coleslaw sandwich today, got through a big queue in about 2 minutes at 1.05pm cost me €2.70 plus two cans of coke for €1.:D

Went thru tills at some speed, owner was using 2 tills, didnt have time to look at me. Fine by me, i just wanted to get in and out as fast as possible and go back to office to read the paper, can see how it might upset some older people:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Got a massive Chicken + Coleslaw sandwich today, got through a big queue in about 2 minutes at 1.05pm cost me €2.70 plus two cans of coke for €1.:D

Went thru tills at some speed, owner was using 2 tills, didnt have time to look at me. Fine by me, i just wanted to get in and out as fast as possible and go back to office to read the paper, can see how it might upset some older people:cool:

no wonder you're a big fellow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

amiable wrote: »
    Did he have a shop on the corner on Glentworth street a few years back?
    He still does. Its another Spar. I shop there now and again and cant say i have ever seen him mouthing off at staff (granted he's not in there much as he probably spends more time in the Henry St shop). But if he is giving his staff a hard time, then its neither professional nor acceptable. You should never ever roar at employees, and certainly never in front of other customers, heated or not. Take them out the back, away from customers, and explain to them in a normal tone that you're not happy with their work.

I'm quite happy to work for my boss, because he treats me with respect. If you mistreat your employees, then you can hardly expect them to reach their optimum level of performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Glentworth street is managed/operated by his brother. They also have the prosperous Spar in the Castletroy Centre(whatever its called) by the Carlton Castletroy Hotel.

If people think the Gleesons brothers can be tough on staff stand around ANY Dunnes store in Ireland and see how they berate their staff and sales reps without a care for any customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Berty wrote: »
    If people think the Gleesons brothers can be tough on staff stand around ANY Dunnes store in Ireland and see how they berate their staff and sales reps without a care for any customer.

Have to agree with that. I cant remember ever going into Dunnes and NOT seeing a manager disrespecting some member of staff. They all seem to be horrible, horrible individuals.

zuroph wrote: »
    no wonder you're a big fellow ;)

Ya i know

My kids call me Chief Wigam

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Sorry, just to get back to the OP original point.....I've seen Mr Mike Glesson treat his staff badly for years and I specifically stay out of his shops because of this. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Rapidmike wrote: »
    :)hi guys
    MIKE GLEESON is the name and reality is the game ,,,,,,
    The first thing id like to say is I,M SORRY for any offence caused by any of my actions in my stores . I have always tried to give the best service possible to all my customers and to treat all my staff with respect ..we work in a very intense small environment where it can get heated from time to time much like a kitchen in a restaurant and in the ireland of today with staff levels at an all time low tempers can get frayed !!
    If any of the persons who have been upset with my actions or words would like to call into the shop in the next week for a coffee or spend a bit of time with us behind the counter to get a feel for dealing with the public please call in and say hi !!!!!
    ILL BE THE ONE WEARING MY BOARDS! CYCLING KIT
    PS
    Thank you very much for all the nice comments about my staff ,they are ranked the second highest for customer service in the country ,,,
    If i improve we might get first???
    yours
    Mike gleeson

i dont know you from adam mike but ive been going into your shop for years and youve always been the same.i find it hard to believe that you will change at all to be quiet honest.
    i suppose you deserve some credit for posting here like you did but what good is it if your not gonna change your attitude.and thats what it is, an attitude.if you were my boss id tell you where to go.
    as the saying goes people work better when they are led not pushed.
    but lets wait and see eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

grenache wrote: »
    He still does. Its another Spar. I shop there now and again and cant say i have ever seen him mouthing off at staff (granted he's not in there much as he probably spends more time in the Henry St shop). But if he is giving his staff a hard time, then its neither professional nor acceptable. You should never ever roar at employees, and certainly never in front of other customers, heated or not. Take them out the back, away from customers, and explain to them in a normal tone that you're not happy with their work.

I'm quite happy to work for my boss, because he treats me with respect. If you mistreat your employees, then you can hardly expect them to reach their optimum level of performance.
    I thought it was him alright. I used to go into that shop on Glentworth street nearly 10 years ago and heard him on several occasions shouting at his staff.

I personally couldn't work under those conitions but needs must at the moment for some people

Met Bartek tonight, 1st guy i remember working for shop, told him about discussion (used to play indoor soccer with him before i got too big).

Told me that Owner & his father were the bosses that he felt closest to.

Sure he gave out, then he praised, went guarantee & depositer on his 1st apartment (which he couldnt get on his own) and borrowed him his van for weekends with his girlfriend.

Also got him his 2nd job in Ireland with Cadburys.

Also told me that mike sponsered the Polish Soccer team in Limerick for its 1st three years because half the team worked in the shop. No problem getting time off for training or matches.

Perception V Reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Also told me that mike sponsered the Polish Soccer team in Limerick for its 1st three years because half the team worked in the shop. No problem getting time off for training or matches.

I suppose he gave out to lads if they did not score aswell,did he?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This thread has run its course. People are just repeating the same points, with one individual fighting against the tide. I don't see any value in keeping it open, not when it seems to be turning into a witch-hunt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement