Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox wont read disc

• 30-04-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Alrite lads,

I've fight champion, brand new and the xbox wont read it..

I've had this problem for a while with other games, i normally have to install to the hard drive which is fine in a way, problem is when I go to install this its only getting about 20% done and kicking me back out with the same problem.

So does anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

I've looked at the possibilities of cleaning the lens or the other thing I saw was adjusting the pots?

Has anyone done this and will it solve it?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

This is a problem with the laser either wearing out or going slightly out of alignment.

It's happened to two of my older 360 consoles. I managed to repair one, the other I made worse and use it as a media extender only now.

First of all, is the console out of warranty? Remember, there's a three year warranty for RRoD. If it is out, then you could try fixing it yourself.

You'll need to open the console up. Plenty of guides on the web on how to do this. Since it's open, this is a good time to clean all the dust out (carefully), especially on the fans. This causes the console to gradually get louder over time. You should notice a dramatic difference in noise levels once done.

Remove the casing of the dvd drive and you'll see the laser head. On the side of the laser head, you'll see two small brass screws. You'll need to give one of those about a quarter of a turn to realign the laser head. Can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. There's plenty of walkthroughs on youtube of how to do it.

Watch a good few of them until you feel confident that you've picked up enough details to tackle it. I made the mistake of just watching one video and turned the screw too far and broke it. Hence why it's just a media server now. My second attempt on another console worked out great and I'm still using it everyday.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

cool man,

I eventually got the game installed but its only going to be a short term fix, as its really starting to get on my t1ts.

The console itself is a good 5 years now so well out of warrenty.. I've had a look at a few vids so will watch a few more I think and give it a lash!

Will post back when i have it sorted!

You'll have it dismantled, fixed and reassembled in under an hour so don't rush it, that's when you break things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

You can pick up the tools to dismantle it on e-bay for less than a tenner delivered. They are well worth it and make the job a lot handier. As Moose said watch a few tutorials on Youtube to be sure you are getting accurate advice.
    A good tip is I actually practised on someone elses xbox first so as to avoid wrecking my own! (I did this under the pretence of being extremely sound and offering to help,for no financial gain!:D)

Cyco, that was completely unethical, immoral, down right despicable... and totally brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cyco, that was completely unethical, immoral, down right despicable... and totally brilliant :D

if it didnt work i was getting an elite for free :rolleyes:

garv123 wrote: »
    if it didnt work i was getting an elite for free :rolleyes:

and you believed him... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

and you believed him... :eek:

he didnt know i was getting it :D

Advertisement