Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Photography

• 30-04-2011 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi im looking to get into photography as a new hobby i have a budget of 500e is that realistic to get a decent camera ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

My personal advice would be to pick up a FILM slr, like an olympus om10.
    I learnt more from film than i did from digital. In fact if i was to teach photography i would advise against getting a digital.
    People go snap crazy and end up disheartened. Or big headed :pac:

anyway i think you could easily afford a canon 100 series with €500.
    I think you can pick up a 550D body on keaphoto.com for €548

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

500 euro should get you started, are you looking for a Digital SLR (dslr) camera ? Have a look on www.adverts.ie in the photography for sale section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yeah OP you should definitely go for a film camera. Preferably one with manual film winding and without a light meter so you can learn the zone system and judge exposure yourself. And learn to develop your film yourself so you'll need to have a dark room for that. I reckon after about three or four years you should taking good "snaps"... :p don't forget to buy a professional scanner as well.

Or - you could buy an entry level digital SLR and see if you like photography as a hobby, and have the advantage that digital gives you immediate feedback on what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong, as well as doing some things automatically for you at the start. A second hand camera would be even better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 blackwolf

I think a digital SLR is what id like and I never thought of going second hand good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Placebo wrote: »
    I learnt more from film than i did from digital. In fact if i was to teach photography i would advise against getting a digital.
    People go snap crazy and end up disheartened. Or big headed :pac:

anyway i think you could easily afford a canon 100 series with €500.
    I think you can pick up a 550D body on keaphoto.com for €548

Can't disagree with that enough - never listen to anyone who says film is better than digital or vice versa. They each have their merits but get a decent digital first and learn to use it by doing a beginner's course. There's nothing as disheartening in photography as getting back a roll of film with absolutely nothing useful on it when you've really tried hard to get some good shots - and the vast majority of beginners will do just that.

The best way to learn (after you've got the basics from a proper teacher) is to keep pressing the shutter release. Take thousands of pictures - the more the merrier. Throw away nothing and organise it all chronologically. Go back to the first ones as often as you can to compare what you're doing now and see if and how you've improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I never said film was better than digital
    The best way to learn (after you've got the basics from a proper teacher) is to keep pressing the shutter release. Take thousands of pictures - the more the merrier. Throw away nothing and organise it all chronologically. Go back to the first ones as often as you can to compare what you're doing now and see if and how you've improved.

Personally i think this is real bad advice, theres nothing disheartening than ending up with mindless photos by going trigger happy then ending up with nothing but rubbish snapshots of random objects and sunsets.

The reason i suggested film was is that it will make you think twice before pressing your shutter. Chances are that you will end up with 1 or two great shots per roll, rather than 500 shots from a day in the park, then filtering through all of those.

Theres no real reason to invest in a course either, especially if you're going digital and wont be in the darkroom. Principles of photography are not hard to pick up, a good article/book would be as good as any starter course.

Anyway dont mean to get into a big debate here, film is just the route i took, i found it much more 'fruitful' than digital. Also i cherish my film photos more than digital ones. Perhaps just a mental think, anyway if OP wants to have a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anti-girl/

A good book will help you improve later but a good beginner's course will get you out taking good pictures in no time - not just by teaching you the "principles of photography" but by showing you how to use your camera. I don't know where you got this idea that photography is easy to learn and if I was one of the several people here studying it full time I'd be quite insulted. To be brutally honest, your digital stuff is head and shoulders above the film stuff. Check out people like Daire or SineadW on here for good film photography.

For a beginner there's nothing wrong with taking 500 shots in the park. The more you get out with a camera the less shots it takes to get the good ones and the easier it is to set them up in the first place. That's exactly the same as with a digital or film camera - the advantage to using digital is that you can experiment and learn without it costing you a small fortune in money and time. The old argument that using film makes you think more is just ridiculous. Learn the skills first and get some experience and then go out with a decent film camera.

If there was no budget what camera and equipment would i need to get keeping in mind im a beginner so maybe i could pick up things when I have some extra cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Get a digital camera, use google to learn. If you find 6 - 12 months down the line that you absolutely love photography and are comfortable with taking photos. Get a 35mm film slr. It will open your style of shooting ten fold.

I learned 90% of what I know now on digital. I now shoot 90% percent of time on film.

I don't think OP wants to hear all this though. He is only starting out. Do yourself a favour though and buy used seriously. Don't go buying a brand new camera when you could get a better one used for the same price or even less.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Placebo wrote: »
    i couldn't disagree more. AWFUL advice! an OM1 (or OM1n) will be about twice the price of an OM10, and is ten times better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm selling a good camera on boards.ie

You could also look at buying a bridge camera, good all rounder (massive zoom, macro(ish), smallish etc.) Could always upgrade to a dslr down the line if you like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too would advise a good Bridge Camera to start with. If you get one which records RAW files. This will not break the bank & allow you to get to grips with the various manual controls and methods of exposure. You will also get to grips with composition.

If you get into Photography you may then look to move into a DSLR, but there will still be the use for a Bridge Camera as an everyday carry around unit, so it will not be wasted.

You will also not be committed to any brand or system at this stage and can make a rational choice where to go from your own knowledge.

There is a sticky thread here advising on buying cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd advise to get a Canon as they're better than Nikon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

LOL at above post. Any budget(lower end) dslr will get you started. Would read reviews of these and then narrow it down to what you think might suit best. You don't want to be spending too much till you know it's for you. €500 should get you a dslr with kit lens with some money left over to put towards a second lens when you want to get a bit more from the camera

Bridge or good compact camera not a bad idea either if you want to travel a bit lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

blackwolf wrote: »
    Hi im looking to get into photography as a new hobby i have a budget of 500e is that realistic to get a decent camera ?

It's probably a little low if you want to get a new DSLR. If you can up it a little then things like the 1000D come into play I think.

My advice to you is also to look at any boards outings, or photowalk.ie or flickr in Ireland walks for the purposes of meeting other people. You can learn a lot from other people. With the summer I think a lot of the camera clubs are on layabout soon but it's also an option.

Calina wrote: »
    It's probably a little low if you want to get a new DSLR. If you can up it a little then things like the 1000D come into play I think.

My advice to you is also to look at any boards outings, or photowalk.ie or flickr in Ireland walks for the purposes of meeting other people. You can learn a lot from other people. With the summer I think a lot of the camera clubs are on layabout soon but it's also an option.

I had a look at the 1000D its 380e for just the camera and then I could pick up the lenses at a different time or if they were not to expensive my budget can get bigger if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You're going to need at least one lens, my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Argos have the Nikon D3000 for €369ish (was €500 odd when I was shopping), leaving change for a bag and memory cards etc.
    If you're like me, you'll just want to jump in and give it a go. I'm learning something new every time I pick up the camera, and enjoying the process.

I have chosen either the eos 550D or eos 1100D which is better ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Didn't know there was 1100D, is it the 1000?

• Advertisement

550D

JustinOval wrote: »
    Didn't know there was 1100D, is it the 1000?
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/canon-eos-1100d-with-18-55mm-lens.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd just like to echo the sentiment that the way to learn is *not* to shoot thousands of photos and learn through a process of attrition.

you don't learn to paint by flinging paint at a canvas and patting yourself on the back when one in every 500 looks good.
    (unless you're jackson pollock).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The best way to learn, in my opinion, is to look at other peoples photos and see what makes them interesting. Why is this better than a simple snapshot?

It is only then that you will see the compositional elements that exists in good photos. Look for the leading lines, the placement of the subject matter and the quality of light.

Also compare each shot you've taken to the previous ones and after a while, you will see the overall improvement.

i'd just like to echo the sentiment that the way to learn is *not* to shoot thousands of photos and learn through a process of attrition.

you don't learn to paint by flinging paint at a canvas and patting yourself on the back when one in every 500 looks good.
    (unless you're jackson pollock).

And I'll echo that this is totally wrong. How are you supposed to learn if you take 1 or 2 shots and then leave a scene? You're suggesting that coming home and seeing 2 crap shots will make you more careful next time - it's like some weird kind of self-imposed punishment for not being good enough. It's wacko.

It's not about taking a million shots and picking the best ones. If you're out shooting a landscape, take as many shots as you can to ensure you get the shot you want. But when you're doing it, change aperture settings, change composition, anything to vary the shot and then compare them all to see which works best. If you're new to photography then you won't know which aperture setting will get you the sharpest image from your specific lens/camera combination. It takes experimentation for stuff like that.

When you've learned enough of the theory to go out and shoot, the best way to learn is from experience. And experience is pressing the shutter button, seeing what happens in the image and learning from it.

You learn to paint by trying all the different painting techniques to see which works best for you and then by practicing it.

Promac wrote: »
    And I'll echo that this is totally wrong. How are you supposed to learn if you take 1 or 2 shots and then leave a scene?
    plenty of people who post to this forum learned that way.

i posted my thoughts on this previously:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70290877

i just don't see any enjoyment in going out and treating your camera almost like a video camera which you select screengrabs from later; there's no skill in that, so no reward, and personally, i think i'd have found it disheartening.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Typically the shorter the number the better the camera. The higher the number within the series the newer the camera and hence the higher the pixel count and shiny new features.

1100D replaces the 1000D, the 600D replaces the 550D etc.

The 1000D/1100D is a basic entry level SLR with a plastic body
    The 500D/550D/600D is a more advanced entry level SLR.
    The 40D/50D were semi-pro/advanced amateur cameras with metal bodies
    The 60D is in some respects a downgrade of 40D/50D features (plastic body) displaced by
    The 7D, a new advanced semi-pro/serious amateur/pro's second body
    The 5D is a photographer's wet dream, popular with studio and wedding photographers with a full frame sensor.
    The 1D series are huge things for those who don't buy their own cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CabanSail wrote: »
    I too would advise a good Bridge Camera to start with. If you get one which records RAW files. This will not break the bank & allow you to get to grips with the various manual controls and methods of exposure. You will also get to grips with composition.

If you get into Photography you may then look to move into a DSLR, but there will still be the use for a Bridge Camera as an everyday carry around unit, so it will not be wasted.

You will also not be committed to any brand or system at this stage and can make a rational choice where to go from your own knowledge.

There is a sticky thread here advising on buying cameras.

I had a Fuji bridge camera (s5000) for about four years. Wonderful camera.

plenty of people who post to this forum learned that way.

i posted my thoughts on this previously:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70290877

i just don't see any enjoyment in going out and treating your camera almost like a video camera which you select screengrabs from later; there's no skill in that, so no reward, and personally, i think i'd have found it disheartening.

That's not what I described at all. But now we're way off-topic so I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Promac wrote: »
    When you've learned enough of the theory to go out and shoot, the best way to learn is from experience. And experience is pressing the shutter button, seeing what happens in the image and learning from it.

This x 1,000,000 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bishtmoris

I am new to photography and i want to buy camera. Please recommend me camera of best quality.

bishtmoris wrote: »
    I am new to photography and i want to buy camera. Please recommend me camera of best quality.

Something like this

Or maybe start here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056053341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

You could easily pick-up a very good used DSLR and a brand new 50mm f/1.8 lens and still have change from €500.

I'd recommend a fast prime lens like that for learning quickly, they have the added advantage of being compact, discreet and light.

Any spare change could go towards a good bit of software for managing and processing your images, such as Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture.

Advertisement