Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hourly rate for electrician?? please help??

Options
  • 30-04-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi just wondering what the going rate is for a qualifiied electrician? I need to wire 2 offices and am on a budget. I want it done right and professinally but dont want to pay a fortune!
    I have had 3 guys in so far who are charging 30-35 per hour which i think is mental! I am in the West.

another guy who will do it for 28 per hour cash - this still seems crazy expensive to me??
    any advice appreciated!
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Lmnover wrote: »
    I want it done right and professinally but dont want to pay a fortune!

You got quote which are in line with the current industry standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya.....€30-35 is the norm. My sparky costs €33 per hour....and I beat him down to that.

Same for my plumber!!!

Just make sure you have a few jobs lined up to get value for money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Masala wrote: »
    Ya.....€30-35 is the norm. My sparky costs €33 per hour....and I beat him down to that.

Same for my plumber!!!

Just make sure you have a few jobs lined up to get value for money!!!

If its per hour it will be hard to get more value by having extra work which then takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I prefer 'per job' quotes

Hourly rates encourage slow work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Lmnover wrote: »
    another guy who will do it for 28 per hour cash - this still seems crazy expensive to me??
    any advice appreciated!
    :confused::confused:

This is Ireland...not Ukraine.

What do you sell...penny sweets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rodin wrote: »
    I prefer 'per job' quotes
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

why would you think these are crazy prices do you think the 4 year + training and keeping yourself upto date with the trade is for nothing trades people don't just read a book and thats it we train so we don't charge minimum wage the rate is 22 euro +vate +insurance +traveling to the job and thats if you want it done right with a cert and a guaranty on the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're in the West, price some contractors from Northern Ireland.
    Well it depends where you are in the West but some might travel

No harm in phoning and asking some questions, just the price of a phonecall
    Even if you don't use them, can use it for bargaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Prices for the whole job you want anyway, there is no way to compare what different contractors will cost to do the job by getting hourly rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP I think you have your answer now. If this thread develops any further it will attract banned content, in fact you are already talking about "cash" prices.

advice on costs is given here from time to time but not for cash prices and we also don't want to go down the road of IR issues.

thank you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement