Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Transformer Oil

Options
  • 30-04-2011 3:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was out walking my land yesterday and I noticed something peculiar with one of the ESB transformers (this one) which is on the land itself. There was sort of an oily smell around the transformer and on further inspection I noticed that the grass and leaves directly underneath the transformer were burned (you can sort of see the darkness here). Then I noticed that there was a continuous drip of an oily substance coming from the transformer itself.

Now I know myself that some transformers have oil in them in order to keep the transformer cool, so I rang the ESB and they logged it as an emergency. I got a call back from an ESB technician later on who said it was likely just waxy oily stuff coming from the ESB poll (due to the hot weather) itself and not the transformer and that there was no need to be concerned, and he would have a look at it over the next day or so.

That was grand in anycase and early this morning I went back out to see if it had stopped dripping (it was not warm at this stage) and it clearly hasn't - and it really does smell like transformer oil to me.

Now I am just wondering if this really should be looked at right away? Would it be dangerous? There is a GAA pitch right on the other-side of that transformer so I just feel a little edgy that the whole thing could go up in ablaze at any minute. Basically is it OK that this be looked at after the Bank Holiday Monday by the ESB? Or am I making a scene out of nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would imagine it would depend how heavily loaded the transformer is. The oil / cooling would be needed for when the transformer is suppling near it's rated power.

At the end of the day you reported it to the esb, you done your bit. There's thousands of these throughout the country, they must leak from time to time. You never hear of major issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah I think it is supplying just the surrounding GAA pitches for their flood lighting if I remember correctly. If an issue could only arise when it is under load then I would imagine there wouldn't be a big issue considering the lights are not used as often these days as the evenings get longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Stay well away from it. That oil could contain PCBs which are toxic and carcinogenic! Old transformers contained quite nasty coolant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The oil is needed as the insulator in the transformer as well as for cooling id say. It might not last too long if it is losing oil on one of them pole traffo`s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The stuff on the pole would be creosote, its like black tar that the poles are treated with to preserve them. The oil from the trafo wouldn't be as thick so you would notice the difference. It could short out if it was losing oil, but might just blow fuses back the line rather than the trafo going pop. Looks fairly new, shouldn't really be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The transformer was only installed two or so years ago Davy. I'm certain it's oil, it's very pure and not thick if you get what I mean. How much oil would be in these transformers anyway? Seems to be a very steady drip.

Wouldn't know how many litres, but it would be completely full of oil. I know they can withstand losing a lot of oil, and still operate. I have heard stories where they were nearly empty and didnt blow. The windings inside would have insulation like paper or otherwise so why they dont blow straight away.

If it's a new transformer you're safe enough it won't contain PCBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Thats a pretty new 3 phase transformer in the picture. It is very unlikely that its leaking. Transformers do leak but usually due to corrosion from the outside-in.

Some old types do contain PCBs but they are few and far between these days as most were removed during the network overhaul a few years ago.

I would say that the substance in the picture is the preservative weeping from the pole. This is very common during hot weather and usually from newer poles which have more 'wet' preservative stored in the wood.

Fatswaldo wrote: »

I would say that the substance in the picture is the preservative weeping from the pole. This is very common during hot weather and usually from newer poles which have more 'wet' preservative stored in the wood.

But would the pole still be weeping at night time when there is no sun? The "leaking" seemed to be the same at day or night - and it seems to be continuing even now that the weather is gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement

I just checked up on this today, it still seems to be steadily leaking transformer oil. I am more convinced now than ever that the pole is not weeping - its not even sunny nor warm today and there is a steady drip drip no matter the weather nor the time of day.

The ESB didn't even inspect the transformer after I reported it. I got a phone call from an engineer who insisted it was just the pole weeping - fair enough it was a bank holiday weekend when I rang . . . but all the same I feel this should be inspected in person.

I use my tractor mower to dump my cut grass under that transformer and I do not fancy getting transformer oil dripping all over me every time I do so.

So, what is to be done? We are going on four months since I first noticed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you're saying they haven't inspected the transformer-are you sure?

i dunno if these things leak

but i wouldn't be happy if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ummmm its been leaking 4 months, I'm no expert but would it have that much oil in it?

When they tell us how many litres a dripping tap will leak in an hour/day, I would of thought there'd be no oil left in it, but again i'm no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're prob right

the trafo is prob ok

but they should pay a visit-if they haven't

Ummmm its been leaking 4 months, I'm no expert but would it have that much oil in it?

When they tell us how many litres a dripping tap will leak in an hour/day, I would of thought there'd be no oil left in it, but again i'm no expert.

I'm no expert either, far far from it! All the same, there are four identical power poles on my land all treated with creosote and all are as exposed as the next yet it is only the pole with the mounted transformer which has this issue.

Wouldn't that alone indicate that the transformer is to blame?

It could leak more on times of high load which might be just evening or whatever the local setup is so might not be 4 months constant. Switch it out, and the leak could stop, same thing can happen cables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Munster64

You are the landowner, I suggest you write to the ESB, and seek a written response from them.

If you are concerned, call your county council's environmental health office.

Failing that, contact the EPA www.epa.ie

Leaking transformer oil is potentially an environmental hazard and should be taken seriously by ESB.

Just thought Id let you all know that this transformer exploded earlier on today, causing some significant damage to the ESB infrastructure in the area according to responding technicians.

Just don't understand how this wasn't acted upon after being reported a number of times . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Just thought Id let you all know that this transformer exploded earlier on today, causing some significant damage to the ESB infrastructure in the area according to responding technicians.

Just don't understand how this wasn't acted upon after being reported a number of times . . .
    For some strange reason I was wondering only yesterday if anything came of this story.
    Amazing no one called out for a look even.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote: »
    For some strange reason I was wondering only yesterday if anything came of this story.
    Amazing no one called out for a look even.

Well the area engineer did ring me back pretty quickly when I initially reported it - but said it was likely nothing to be concerned about and he would check on it within a few days. I suspect that the fact I rang on a bank holiday Monday may have had something to do with that, it was logged as an emergency call afterall. Not entirely sure if it was actually physically inspected, but nonetheless it is clear now that it was transformer oil leaking all this time.

Also, just goes to show how long these things can leak for before any damage is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Shocking.

The whole thing would be full of oil, so must have been a pretty slow seep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

As said earlier in the thread, they wont last long without their oil.

Samich wrote: »
    The whole thing would be full of oil, so must have been a pretty slow seep.

Indeed - although I am guessing maybe the oil drained out a while back, and that the damage might have only been done when it was placed under load?

Afterall it is used to provide floodlighting . . . and floodlights have only been needed now for the last two or three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would write to the EPA and log a complaint that the ground has been contaminated by used Transformer oil.
    This has to be taken seriously by the ESB.
    Sue the ESB for polluting your land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The lack of response to this is disappointing-it was obvious oil leakage, and should have been changed at the first opportunity. One wonders if the site was actually visited at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would write to the EPA and log a complaint that the ground has been contaminated by used Transformer oil.
    This has to be taken seriously by the ESB.
    Sue the ESB for polluting your land.

IS this not a bad extreme? nuts & sledgehammers spring to mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

IS this not a bad extreme? nuts & sledgehammers spring to mind ?
    Yes, maybe, but how much oil has soaked into the soil and is the landowner liable for any pollution that may arise in the future? not to mention the possibility of severe rainfall this time of year to wash it further along. Contaminated soil is very expensive to dispose of and the penalty is severe too.

Ill drop a general inquiry to the ESB anyway to see if they have any policies to ensure the cleanup of any sites should it be actually necessary. Would have thought assessing the environmental impacts of such incidents would be a condition for holding an EPA license anyways, so they may follow up on it by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ill drop a general inquiry to the ESB anyway to see if they have any policies to ensure the cleanup of any sites should it be actually necessary. Would have thought assessing the environmental impacts of such incidents would be a condition for holding an EPA license anyways, so they may follow up on it by default.
    Wise move considering how long it took them to react to the initial report of a leak. Also no harm to keep a record of your dealings with them. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Advertisement