Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Debate

Options
  • 30-04-2011 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Are acts of assistance to distant strangers a matter of justice or charity?
    :)

Have to approach this topic for a 2500 word essay and amn't sure where to start! Would appreciate hearing some thoughts and arguments!

Thank-you in advance :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Are acts of assistance to distant strangers a matter of justice or charity?
    :)

Have to approach this topic for a 2500 word essay and amn't sure where to start! Would appreciate hearing some thoughts and arguments!

Thank-you in advance :pac:

This type of stuff is why I did sciences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

You could check out Luc Boltanski - Distant Suffering: Media, Morality and Politics, Lilie Chouliaraki - The Spectatorship of Suffering, Susan Sontag - Regarding the Pain of Others, Peter Singer - Famine, Affluence and Morality or Stanley Cohen - Knowing About Atrocities and Suffering.

I'd pick one of those and use them, Singer's is probably the easiest, shortest and most relevant piece. You could contrast it with Living on a Lifeboat by Garrett Hardin.

If you wanted to drag it back to practical examples and individual responses, you could look at adverts/campaigns by people like Oxfam, Amnesty, and MSF, and examine them in terms of moral choices/actions both in terms of what they ask and, probably more importantly how they represent those choices/how they represent the people in them and the people 'consuming' the adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greenlunchbox

You could check out Luc Boltanski - Distant Suffering: Media, Morality and Politics, Lilie Chouliaraki - The Spectatorship of Suffering, Susan Sontag - Regarding the Pain of Others, Peter Singer - Famine, Affluence and Morality or Stanley Cohen - Knowing About Atrocities and Suffering.

I'd pick one of those and use them, Singer's is probably the easiest, shortest and most relevant piece. You could contrast it with Living on a Lifeboat by Garrett Hardin.

If you wanted to drag it back to practical examples and individual responses, you could look at adverts/campaigns by people like Oxfam, Amnesty, and MSF, and examine them in terms of moral choices/actions both in terms of what they ask and, probably more importantly how they represent those choices/how they represent the people in them and the people 'consuming' the adverts.

I will look up these texts, thank-you! As for the adverts, do these charities and organisations tend to take a "charity" or "justice" based stance when it comes to aiding distant others, or is it not that black and white? Missed out on a lot of material as I was sick most of this semester so am finding it difficult to piece together even the fundamental material - please excuse my ignorance and thank you for any thoughts/advice/answers from anyone!:)

Advertisement