Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on very first build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The PSU is terrible but I think that the system could be hard to sell with technology two generations old.

I would go for a AMD for the cheaper builds. Amazon.co.uk has poor prices for whole systems, so consider scan.co.uk or hardwareversand.de to get some of the lowest prices for whole systems.

Is there a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

What psu would you recommend? harwareversand was only barely cheaper on certain items and I've heard horror stories about their shipping. scan.co.uk seem to have a very poor selection. Plus amazon.co.uk have free shipping which is a plus

Really as cheap as possible for a reasonably powerful computer, definitely sub €300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

any thoughts on my original plan Crosáidí?

157157.PNG

~€260 incl delivery.
    I presume €300 didn't include HDD and GPU. There's cheaper boards there but that one was on off and a little new in specs...

• Advertisement

wow monotype I'm impressed! That build would be much easier upgrade in the future wouldn't it be? I might just go ahead with most of that build thanks!

Note that the items are picked using the "today only" page. These will be gone at... mid day Monday, I think. You can still get similar stuff but it might be £10-£15 dearer. The best deals are definitely at the weekend, when they seem to have processors and PSUs.

The board is certainly upgradable - it should support all the current AMD processors.
    It doesn't have luxuries such as USB 3 as in Crosáidí's build, but it is decent enough with features such as firewire, eSATA and a decent soundchip which you might find missing in some of the cheaper boards. It also has ATI 4250 graphics which is actually decent enough for light games and HD videos (and comes with a selection of ports to use it).

Most important is the inclusion of a good, efficient PSU! - OK, it's completely more than you'd need but it would have loads of room for upgrade to most GPUs around today.

I actually forgot about the DVD drive so grab one of those if you need it.

Cheers Monotype, i'm going to order more or less that exact build pretty soon now! Any other things i will need for actually putting it all together? Thermal paste should already be applied shouldn't it?

Yeah, you would get some on the heatsink.
    I suppose you should have a quick search to see if gigabyte boards of that range have enough SATA cables, some boards only come with one.

Advertisement