Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemistry q-answer asap

• 30-04-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

why a solution of ethanoic acid would not have been suitable for this experiment----water of crystallisation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

ayumi wrote: »
    why a solution of ethanoic acid would not have been suitable for this experiment----water of crystallisation

Because it's not a crystal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Not sure as I'd have to read the entire question but I think its something along the lines of the ethanoic acid reaction with the water, but I could be a mile wrong, think I got it wrong in Pre :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Is it because ethanoic acid is a weak acid, so it doesn't readily dissociate H+ ions... So when the neutralization takes place you can't accurately know how many H+ ions have reacted, sooo basically your result will be inaccurate!..? I think that might be it!

If you're unsure about a question like that, think 'Will it affect the accuracy of my result?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

It's a strong acid (HCl) vs. strong base (Na2CO3) experiment.

So using Ethanoic acid(weak acid as all organic acids are!) would require an excessive amount to indicate the end point(colour change) and therefore make the result inaccurate.
    hope that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As the above poster said, ethanoic acid is a weak acid. You'd need too much of it to make it reach the end point.

Also, a weak acid wouldn't fully dissociate, releasing it's H+ ions. HCl dissociates completely. Therefore, even if you know the molarity of your ethanoic acid, you cannot be assured you'll get that molarity of H+ ions...

Would I be correct in saying that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

its a weak acid so you wont be able to get accurate titre results - hence, sh1t results :-) the marking schemes are online for a reason mate ;)

Advertisement