Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Firearms Pass

Options
  • 30-04-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Lads,

whats the procedure for applying for one?

Is there an application form?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I got mine during the week, you need a photograph and they take a copy of your licence. mine took two weeks to be processed.

dr6.5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are free and available in your local station.

Simply go in, with your firearm certs for the guns you want on it, fill it it, provide a photo (bring two just incase), the FO does his/her bit. He/she then gives it up to the Super to sign and its done. Depending on whether the Super is in the station and how quick your FO works you can get it back then and there or it can take a few days/weeks.

I dropped off copies of my licenses (front and back), with my photos one evening and collected the next evening after a call from my FO to tell me it was done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What is the advantage of having one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ordinarily they come with a 500 rounds minimum limit, plus if you travel abroad for competitions, etc and want to bring your guns you will need one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Traumadoc wrote: »
    What is the advantage of having one?

It is required to bring your firearms to other EU countries.

Most countries only require the Europass.

Ireland, Northern Ireland & Britain which require a local license aswell as the Europass.

Isle of Man required a local license but does not recognise the Euro pass as it is not in the EU.

Sweden required a local permit but bases it on the Euro Pass.

There are others.

Bottom line is that to travel to another country in the EU you need one - either on its own or in order to get the relevant local permit.

Beauty of the Europass is it is for "you" and contains all of your firearms - rather than being for the firearm so requiring many of them.

Usually good for 5 years - I've only had to renew mine once (and get it updated when the pistol licenses got "re-issued") I've just added each license as I got them.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just because you may have "500 rounds" of ammo on your Euro pass it does not entitle you to carry that amount of ammo.

The ammo limit for the country you are visiting will be shown on the visitors permit you get for that country.

And that goes for this country as well. If your license show your max ammo limit to be say 100 rounds, just because you may have 500 rounds on the Euro pass it does not mean you may now buy, carry, own 500 rounds.

Just to be clear - if your europass allows for 500 rounds then in most of the EU you may have 500 rounds

However, in the few countries which override the European system by having their own permit system - the local permits details override the Europass - obviously - only while in that particular jurisdiction

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

So only if I want to go to mainland Europe is it of any use?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    So only if I want to go to mainland Europe is it of any use?

Well the Europass is free so there's no harm in having it anyway.

You will need a europass to travel to Northern Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales aswell

more specifically you will need one to appply for the local permit

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

About that 500 rounds - has anyone checked their europass recently and found the 500 rounds on it anywhere?
    IRLConor mentioned a while back that he's not got it on his and I don't recall seeing it on mine last time I looked either.

My previous one had 500 on each gun

My current one has the same as my Irish Permits for each gun.

B'Man

PS: My PSNI Permits match the Europass so used to have 500 but now have the lower number also.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bananaman wrote: »
    My previous one had 500 on each gun

My current one has the same as my Irish Permits for each gun.

B'Man

PS: My PSNI Permits match the Europass so used to have 500 but now have the lower number also.

Neither my current or old Europass has any ammo numbers on it. Where on the pass do they normally put it?

Europass Page 5 under the Observation heading. I see the same number of rounds that are on my current licenses is shown.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Ah, right. That section's always been left blank on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads,

Do I still need a European Firearms Pass, to go to Africa, I understand I need visitors permits on the other side.

J

You probably should because you're leaving from an EU country, even if you don't stop over in another EU country along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Sparks wrote: »
    You probably should because you're leaving from an EU country, even if you don't stop over in another EU country along the way.

And I'll be coming back to one too!!!

That's assuming the trip goes well :D

Always handy to have one in case you need to travel between airports if diverted

B'Man

• Advertisement
Advertisement