Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Information on getting a Visa to Live and work in Hawaii

• 30-04-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering would anyone be able to help me. I'm hoping to move to Hawaii to live and work permanently. I'm a qualified Electrician, and I have an online business selling electrical products online.

I'm just wondering whats the best way of going about getting a Visa to move over there. I will be getting roughly enough to live through my business but I want to be able to work over there if need be.

Ive done a lot of searching on the internet but with no success. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of someone that could help me with Visa information and so on.

Id really appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Thanks

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Assuming you have no family who can petition you for a visa, it is going to be extremely difficult. There is no "living there but not working" type visa, and to get a work visa, you need a US employer to sponsor you and be highly skilled, which I don't think an electrician qualifies for, unless you have some specialty skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

robbie.dub - by all means, go for it. Outside of the cost-of-living in Hawaii, I continually hear wonderful things about Hawaii and its people.

That said, as I sit here in Wisconsin this May 2nd and realize my heat is still turned on (as it has been for the past 6 months), I did chuckle to myself when I initially saw your post. If surveyed today, I would suspect well over 80% of Wisconsinites would love to live and work in Hawaii right about now!

Fun Fact: what two US states have the lowest "Record High" temperatures?

On June 14, 1969 Anchorage, Alaska boiled all the way up to a prostrating 84 degrees Fahrenheit (28 C) to set their all time record high for any month. Honolulu, Hawaii didn't do a whole lot better on September 19th, 1995 when it cracked 95 F (35 C) for the first time in history. These were "official" temperatures gathered from the Western Regional Climate center.

Alaska I could see, but I was surprised by Hawaii's low "record high" temp. I realize one of the main attractions to Hawaii is its small variation in climate (its weather is always 'just right'), but never getting above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 C) was surprising to me.

Good luck. Hopefully you are a Malihini (newcomer to the islands) soon!

Advertisement