Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A place of my own

Options
  • 30-04-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

It has been a week since I have come to Ireland. I found a room in a house through daft.ie. Everything goes well here but in a contract, my landlord says that any of my visitors will cost some charge per night. I love the location, atmosphere and everything but I really don't like this condition. I want every friend of mine can visit me anytime they and I want. If I want a place of my own, without anyone's restriction, what kind of accommodation will suit for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Accommodation & Property with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Belgian wrote: »
    It has been a week since I have come to Ireland. I found a room in a house through daft.ie. Everything goes well here but in a contract, my landlord says that any of my visitors will cost some charge per night. I love the location, atmosphere and everything but I really don't like this condition. I want every friend of mine can visit me anytime they and I want. If I want a place of my own, without anyone's restriction, what kind of accommodation will suit for me?

Tell your landlord to take a hike. He/she can't prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is this a room rental, or are you renting the whole place?

if it were just a room he might be thinking that you'd be having friends over all the time, and doesnt want them to end up effectively staying with you permanently for free (maybe this happened in previous experiences he had renting a room)

if you're renting the whole place yourself, that condition is total BS. you can have whoever you want over, as long as you're prepared to take 100% responsibility for their actions.

either way I'd go elsewhere, there's an abundance of places to rent, and you'll easily find one who doesnt apply such strange conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Belgian

It is just a room rental. That's why the landlord has this condition because this is his house. So I want to move out after a few months but I don't know which accommodation would suit for me. A flat or a studio? What makes difference between a room, a flat or a studio rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

A room is one bedroom for yourself in a shared flat -- sharing the flat's kitchen/living room/bathroom with other people.

A studio (also known as a bedsit) is a flat with a combined living room/bedroom -- you don't have to share with other people and it's your own place so you can do what you want, but it's a bit cramped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Belgian wrote: »
    It is just a room rental. That's why the landlord has this condition because this is his house. So I want to move out after a few months but I don't know which accommodation would suit for me. A flat or a studio? What makes difference between a room, a flat or a studio rent?

So you're living with your landlord? That would make such a condition very common...the landlord decides to rent a room to someone they think they can live with, they don't want all kinds of strangers to be coming to stay.

Advertisement