Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots issue - age rather than fit.

Options
  • 30-04-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have a pair of Meindl Borneo boots that I bought years ago. I've used them a fair bit over the years but lately I've been heading out every weekend and they are hurting.

I bought them about 10 or 11 years ago in Great Outdoors, I had them fitted correctly and the issue isn't fit.

The problem is that on longer walks the balls of my feet become sore. I never used to happen. I'm just in from a day in the Galtees and they really were killing me twords the end of the day. Changing to my runners to come home relieved the pain greatly.

My question is would replacing the insoles be an option or is it that, like running shoes of a certain age, the bounce is gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could try a pair of good gel insoles, but maybe it's time for a new pair of boots . . .

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

jamfer wrote: »
    I have a pair of Meindl Borneo boots that I bought years ago. I've used them a fair bit over the years but lately I've been heading out every weekend and they are hurting.

I bought them about 10 or 11 years ago in Great Outdoors, I had them fitted correctly and the issue isn't fit.

The problem is that on longer walks the balls of my feet become sore. I never used to happen. I'm just in from a day in the Galtees and they really were killing me twords the end of the day. Changing to my runners to come home relieved the pain greatly.

My question is would replacing the insoles be an option or is it that, like running shoes of a certain age, the bounce is gone?

10 years old ?? get a new pair

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Go out and get new pair of boots, Make sure you buy a light pair .Meindl boots can be hevey, then as was said get gel insoles, and make sure you brake them in ware then in the house and out to the shops a few times before useing them. Most important is Light boots that will help your feet and good insoles will give you more pading. A good make of boots would be salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I have been given Superfeet insoles to try - one green, one blue - to see if this resolves the issue.

I take your points on the age but the boots, while old, are in exceptional condition so I am loath to throw them away. From looking in the shop yesterday replacing them is going to be the thick end of €180 or more. It isn't as if the ones I have are a no name cheapo boot.

I'm off up to Glendalough today to see how I get on. I've a full day planned for next weekend too so if I haven't found a resolution then I will accept that I have to replace with new ones.

well best of luck. hope the insoles sort it for ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

Thanks for the feedback so far. OK, so the insoles aren't going to fix the issue. 4 hours this morning and the pain is there again.

So what boot would you recommend fellow boardsies? I'm due to climb Kilimanjaro later in the year so in recommending a boot please bear that in mind.

I had a look at Salmon - do they do an all leather boot? Or is the Quest 4d GTX a suitable boot?

ya they dont do an all leather boot, Quest 4D GTX looks like a good boot i have the Explorer GTX and used it in the swiss alaps and it was epic so that quest is mod up so id say its deffo a good boot to get Only other type of boot maby to look at would be Mammut, i only know basecamp in dublin that stocks them and they have some good range of boots as well.(and some in leather) if thats what you looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I climbed Kilimanjaro in a pair of Brashers Supalites. Think that's what they're called. Very lightweight, require little breaking in, fabulously ugly boots but really comfortable. They were fine up Kili although we had dry weather and very little snow on top. I've since worn them out an have switched over to a stiff soled Meindl Makalus coz I need a heavier crampon-ready boot for a Himalayan expedition.

Brashers rock. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Salomons tend to have a narrower fit than Meindl from what I remember so chance are if you found the Meindl very comfortable the Salomons may not suit you, that said they make some pretty nice boots so definetly give them a try.

I'd recommend Superfeet, I work on my feet nine hours a day and swear by them, really worth the money.

You might be able to resole the Borneo's, I know Great Outdoors used to sell replacements soles for Meindl boots, but chances are if they are ten years old the leather itself is fairly worn too so you're better off investing in another pair of boots. Look at it this way 180 euro over ten years is only 18 euro a year- not too expensive.

Advertisement