Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc addresses

Options
  • 30-04-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Anyone happen to know if the ip addresses you get from upc are in a row?

As in your normally get 3? Are they side by side (eg .20,.21,.22)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

No system i know issues them in a row.

Issues them as they become available in the pool as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Umm you only get one IP adress at a time from upc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

wolfric wrote: »
    As in your normally get 3?
    I didn't know there was a specific allocation of 3, do you have a source for that? IPs that UPC allocate come from a DHCP pool, rather than being static IPs - so you can't rely on them to not change, even less for them to be in a row.
    Umm you only get one IP adress at a time from upc
    Try plugging multiple computers in via a switch (not a router) - if you're not NATed, you get public facing IPs. I just don't know if that's through accident or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I have tried it with a switch .....I could only get one pc to get an IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

snappieT wrote: »
    Try plugging multiple computers in via a switch (not a router) - if you're not NATed, you get public facing IPs. I just don't know if that's through accident or not!

That's a bit odd. Can you really confirm this? - I'm not with UPC myself but with the shortage of IPv4 addresses, I'd imagine they'd want you to be NAT'd to private addresses on your side. Plus it's the WAN interface on your modem that will get the public IP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Webmonkey wrote: »
    That's a bit odd. Can you really confirm this? - I'm not with UPC myself but with the shortage of IPv4 addresses, I'd imagine they'd want you to be NAT'd to private addresses on your side. Plus it's the WAN interface on your modem that will get the public IP?

As far as i am aware this is called PPPOE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_Ethernet) and allows devices other than the router to get public IP's.

Not unusual. Most internet providers allow it.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I must get back into networking again, I'm forgetting everything! :(

Cheers.

Advertisement