Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor: The Game

Options
  • 30-04-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I know it was expected but needless to say: AVOID!

Terrible graphics, I mean, really terrible. I'm talking launch PS2 graphics. Terrible voice acting, repetitive fighting and it's generally just no fun at all.

Not a massive shock considering Segas attempts with Iron Man 1 and 2, but this game makes Iron Man look like Bayonetta! Does not bode well for Captain America and next years inevitable Avengers game. Such a shame, as a good comic game (step forward, Batman: AA) can really push a franchise. It's a shame Marvel sees fit to give their games a 3rd rate development team when they are going quite well with their movies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah this arrived during the week and i stuck it into the xbox yesterday. can't think of anything positive to say from the hour i managed to force myself to play of it

and here was me thinking that movie tie-ins had been improving lately

sega don't really seem to bother with quality control for games any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

chrislad wrote: »
    I know it was expected but needless to say: AVOID!

Terrible graphics, I mean, really terrible. I'm talking launch PS2 graphics. Terrible voice acting, repetitive fighting and it's generally just no fun at all.

Not a massive shock considering Segas attempts with Iron Man 1 and 2, but this game makes Iron Man look like Bayonetta! Does not bode well for Captain America and next years inevitable Avengers game. Such a shame, as a good comic game (step forward, Batman: AA) can really push a franchise. It's a shame Marvel sees fit to give their games a 3rd rate development team when they are going quite well with their movies.

Movie type games are cash ins , i cant remember which developer said before in a interview that developers who are giving the task try to make the game good but they are always fighting against time to bring the game out before the movie comes out. Thankfully batman wasant the case cause it was made a gane of its own though while batman was a great game i dont think its going to get the same critical aclaim as the first by the reviwers cause it was the first game that was actually well presented to the batman fans. Sega team are well capable of making great games though but its just a cash in game to get kids excited bout the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I suppose the big question is- Can it be worse than the recent Iron Man games? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bayonetta was not bad game...

As for movie games... Shocker...

I wount even bother watching that movie as a found idea stupid. Thor game... Lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

deathrider wrote: »
    I suppose the big question is- Can it be worse than the recent Iron Man games? :pac:

Yes. A rather surprising yeas, but a yes nonetheless. I managed to finish both Iron Man games. I doubt I will be able to do that with Thor.

• Advertisement

This is dissapointing to say the least. It's not like comic to game conversions don't work. The afore mention Batman AA was superb, Spider-Man 2 (back in the last gen) was a total gem, Spidey's Shattered Dimensions was also a lot for fun last year. And let us not forget the fantastically fun Hulk Ultimate Destruction. It saddens me to see cheap knock off games like the Iron Man ones, and, by the looks of things, this new Thor... And Ghost Rider *shudder*

Comic books should fit perfectly into games. Big, booming, and over the top is what both genres are all about, so they should work a treat.

Don't compare games out of movies about comics and games out of comics.

I really don't understand people who think that movie games will be good now... They were allways ****.

Batman AA was an exeption. It wasn't even movie game it was properly developed game with batman comics idea, not dark night or batman begins idea.

Spider-Man 2 (not Enter Electro) was based on the second movie, and was a great game. Also the Wolverine Origins game was good harmless fun, even though the movie was muck.

Don't compare games out of movies about comics and games out of comics.

I really don't understand people who think that movie games will be good now... They were allways ****.

Batman AA was an exeption. It wasn't even movie game it was properly developed game with batman comics idea, not dark night or batman begins idea.

Dude i wouldnt say they have always been ****e , there have being a good few ones on the sega mega drive

Terminator
    Robocop
    Tazmania
    Aladdin
    Lion king
    Earth worm jim
    Teenage mutant ninja turtle

I know afew i named where tv shows but ya catch my drift. No matter how bad a movie based game is you are garunteed your product will sale cause of the movie

there had been a marked improvement on movie tie ins lately too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, there are some gems out there like Spiderman 2 (why won't they remake this for ps3!!!!) and Bladerunner for PC, The Warriors for PS2 and of course Goldeneye.

Seems to be if the devs are told to create a new story within that movies universe, they can come out with quality but they lose creativity when told to make levels the same as movies and given tight deadlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The The Chronicles of Riddick game was savage too.

RichieC wrote: »
    The The Chronicles of Riddick game was savage too.

That was class on PC. I saw the PS3 version dirt cheap in Gamestop, is it worth the money even though I played Butcher Bay before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

PC gamer myself, not too sure how it translates to the ps3. cant imagine first person shooters with a controller :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well at least the DS game will be good since it's being handled by Wayforward.

RichieC wrote: »
    PC gamer myself, not too sure how it translates to the ps3. cant imagine first person shooters with a controller :o

Ah I was the exact same till my friends all went online with ps3 so had to force myself to change :) The mouse and KB will always be the best method but for me, the console is a much more comfortable setup now.

Reas reading a Q&A with CEO of Splash Damage today and he was saying he is baffled why people make these movie-tie ins, saying they will turn out rubbish, bomb in the charts and have so many restrictions. All very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have to confess to playing the Rango game recently and enjoying it :o

Played Thor on a new gamer tag so as not to soil mine earlier, think of the worst movie tie in you have played , folks mentioned Ironman already........... Thor makes Ironman look like assassins call of gears of theft auto in comparison :D

Edit: I see spider man on ps2 got a mention and deservedly so, but web of shadows on 360 was pretty good too I thought, better than anything that came after for sure.

They say any publicity is good publicity, and I think they might be right, because now I actually want to play Thor just to see how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why the flip are they letting Sega do the games have they a contract or something cos surely they'd have learned after ironman 2 !!

Why the flip are they letting Sega do the games have they a contract or something cos surely they'd have learned after ironman 2 !!

sega would have bid for the rights to publish the games, won and gotten the license, then theyd have farmed it out to developers and released the game

• Advertisement

What's to learn? They probably made a ton of cash from parents buying it for their kids following the big hit movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I didn't expect this to be anything but muck. I kind of hope the Captain Amerca game is good, though. Seeing it played before made it look a bit like Arkham Asylum, so I was hoping it might tide me over until the next game comes out.

I enjoyed the toy story game that came out few months ago, i would recommend it to anybody who has a child

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Whats to learn ? Well how about the tonnes of fans that would buy these games too if they were good, I can't see how they can do the likes of Ultimate Alliance and Shattered Dimensions and then when they get a chance to really market something they make a balls of it, But then again if you think of the last Transformers Movie game was terrible, but they learned there lesson and brought out War for Cybertron afterwards which was a huge improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There are plenty of movie/comic tie ins that are good/great.

To name, and probably repeat, a few

Spider-Man 2 (PS2, Xbox)
    Spider-Man 3 (PS3, 360)
    Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
    Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
    Toy Story 3
    Batman: AA (obviously!)

I can weather bad games, especially bad games based on IPs I like (hey, I 1ked Superman Returns for chrissake!!!), but this in on a whole other level of bad.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah I was the exact same till my friends all went online with ps3 so had to force myself to change :) The mouse and KB will always be the best method but for me, the console is a much more comfortable setup now.

Reas reading a Q&A with CEO of Splash Damage today and he was saying he is baffled why people make these movie-tie ins, saying they will turn out rubbish, bomb in the charts and have so many restrictions. All very true

So agree on pc and console fps debate.

I would find myself hc pc gamer, but I spent most of my time on xbox now. Most of games fps too. Keyboard and mouse setup will be allways superior, but controller after long day at work is just better for me these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Flash game: Better than the home console version :pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dude i wouldnt say they have always been ****e , there have being a good few ones on the sega mega drive

Terminator
    Robocop
    Tazmania
    Aladdin
    Lion king
    Earth worm jim
    Teenage mutant ninja turtle

I know afew i named where tv shows but ya catch my drift. No matter how bad a movie based game is you are garunteed your product will sale cause of the movie

The Earthworm Jim TV show was based on the videogame, not the other way around :p

Terminator on the Megadrive is terrible.
    Robocop 3 on the Megadrive is also terrible.

(Maybe you're thinking about Robocop Versus The Terminator, which rules!) (get back in your box Retr0!)

Tazmania is pretty mediocre.

The Megadrive Disney film based games were great. They're a good example of when movie tie ins could be a good thing.

I wouldn't dream of buying a modern movie based game. It just reeks of easy cash in/rush to get it out at the same time as the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

I thought that X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a particularly good/fun game.
    For once, a game that surpassed the movie it was based on.

• Advertisement

Thor on the ds got a 8/10 from ign , not bad to say the least

Advertisement