Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and unemployment

Options
  • 30-04-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently researching an article on changing attitudes towards unemployment over the past two years or so and I'm particularly interested in hearing about womens' experiences of being unemployed due to the downturn.

Were you made redundant recently? Maybe you're just out of school / college and have found it impossible to get a job?

Whatever your circumstances, I'd love to hear your perspective on how it feels to be an unemployed woman in Ireland today and how you think society views you.

I'd love people to get in touch for a chat about their own personal situations but I also think this is an important thread for discussion in its own rite.

I know, as a mother, I've been in a situation where I've been unemployed and people have said things to me like "ah but sure it must be lovely to be able to spend time at home with the kids...". Hmmm.... well yes, if you can also afford to feed and clothe your children without a job! Has anyone else encountered this kind of attitude?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Sheensie wrote: »

I know, as a mother, I've been in a situation where I've been unemployed and people have said things to me like "ah but sure it must be lovely to be able to spend time at home with the kids...". Hmmm.... well yes, if you can also afford to feed and clothe your children without a job! Has anyone else encountered this kind of attitude?

im not unemployed, although sometimes i think i may as well be the little hours they give me,but i have to say i sometimes much prefer to get a break at work than stay at home all day with the little one! i have every respect for stay at home mums!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sheensie it's frowned upon signing up just to use Boards as a resource which judging by the subject matter of your ten posts is what you're doing. A long time user who has contributed to the community can be fine, but they always check with either the Boards head office or the relevant forum mods. Good manners and all. Some random newbie looking to datamine the members without putting anything in? No thank you. Don't start another thread like this in here again please or you will be banned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement