Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HEARING LOSS/ HEARING TESTS

• 30-04-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi,
    soon enough i have an important hearing test.

in relation to my own hearing, i have had hearing tests before, and my most recent one when i was 17 years old (a couple of years back) it wasnt too great, i think im h3 or something. i can notice my self that my hearing in my right ear is not as good as my left. the test also reflected that. overall i dont have great hearing. especially for someone my age.

what im wondering is does anybody know is there any ways by which i could make my hearing more sensitive before the test, or just in general give me all the relative information/advice when it comes to hearing loss, short term hearing loss, hearing recovery, and hearing tests.

also i apologize if this is the wrong forum that this should be posted on, im new to boards, and couldnt actually find a relative forum so i figured mens health would be the best shout. also if anyone knows of a better forum area where i should post this please let me know. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You want to know if there's a way you could make your hearing more sensitive before you have a hearing test...why?

There is no point in going in and getting an inaccurate result, walking out happy because of it and the next day being deaf as a post. It's feedback, just like eyesight tests. Sure, I get a bit disappointed to know my eyesight deteriorated over the last two years but it's better than wandering in with some super-secret contacts or eye solution and coming out with the wrong prescription for two years. Hearing/eyesight tests are not the NCT, you cannot 'fail' them so don't cheat yourself :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can't fix bad hearing. The issue is that the hairs within your ear end up being permenantly compressed, as opposed to being flexible... (most simple way I can explain it...)

for an anology.. it's like walking with 1 leg and no crutch...

Only way around it, is with an implant or aid, that amplifies the sounds you are trying to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hearing levels are a one way street, you can't (re)gain whats gone without artificial assistance. Just the fact of the matter.

On vision, some reckon you can do exercises to improve distance focus/sharpness but thats for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

what im wondering is does anybody know is there any ways by which i could make my hearing more sensitive before the test, or just in general give me all the relative information/advice when it comes to hearing loss, short term hearing loss, hearing recovery, and hearing tests.
    Are you asking for a job (Defence Forces) or to see how bad your hearing is?

Either way, listen to no loud noise, no loud music, etc, the days coming upto the test or the day of the test. If the DF, meh, it could go either way. If just a test, you'll want the outcome to be correct. Not good. Correct.

AND DON'T CLICK IF YOU CAN'T HEAR. It'll just screw up your results.

Advertisement