Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving apartment, flatmate is not

Options
  • 30-04-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello all! Please bear with me, I'm still a boards.ie novice! Just a quick rundown on the details of my situation:
    • Living currently in a 2 bedroom shared apartment with a classmate (we're both from the States, here doing medicine)
    • Lease (in my name only, though we're both registered with PTSB) ends June 26th
    • My landlord knows I plan to leave when the lease is up, and that my flatmate wants to stay on. She will have to sign a new lease with her name on it
    • She is planning to find another flatmate to fill my spot, though not actively doing so as we're in the middle of exams. She likely won't have a new tenant in until September or so.
    • As a result, she'll likely be paying double rent over the summer while she's back in the States.. but is fairly loose with cash and doesn't mind too much

My concern here is getting my deposit back (€750!!). I would rather not just use my deposit as my last month's rent. Is my only option to seek the deposit amount from the new tenant once my flatmate has found a replacement? I'm not sure how it would work with the landlord coming in for an inspection when only one of us has moved out. I haven't spoken yet with our letting agent (he's our go-to guy, rather than the landlord) about the situation, but would like advice before contacting him about it.

:confused::confused:
    Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

If you're leaving at the end of your lease then you are entitled to get the deposit back from the letting agent. There is no reason why you should have to get it back from another tenant AFAIK.
    What your flatmate does is not your problem once your lease is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You both finish lease, you get your deposits back.

Your flatmate stays on, gets new lease, not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Make sure your name is removed from the lease, or any new lease doesn't mention you in any way. Then you should get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ShadyLane

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm relieved to hear that I'll likely not have too much hassle getting my deposit back since she's starting up a new lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Don't expect the landlord give the deposit back without you returning full vacant possession. The landlord may do this, but they are under no obligation to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement