Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved my cat... he is not happy

• 30-04-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hi there:

So I had to move my cat to where I spend most of my time and he s been here all day and he is very scared and stressed still.
    He is in a room all to himself with food water a bed and a litter box, but earlier I had him in another room 9 I know a mistake.. but its done :( )
    Any other advice , what can I do to put him at ease?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Do you mean you moved him to a different house or a different room? :confused:

If you mean you moved him to a different house it will take time for him to come out of his shell and relax. Keep him confined to one room and don't make a fuss of him, leave him be, if he wedges himself under something or climbs up to the highest part of the room leave him there (so long as he's not in danger), you will probably find he will start exploring a bit tonight when your asleep and everything is quiet. If you haven't already bring a few of his things from home, his favorite blanket/bed, his food dishes, litter tray and his favorite toys. If he hasn't already got a hiding place, make one for him, tip a washing basket on it's side or a large box in a quiet corner.

When I moved my cat to a new apartment she wedged herself in the tiny space under the wardrobe for most of the evening, she eventually progressed to inside my wardrobe (with all my clothes in it so she could hide behind them all and feel well hidden), then when I was asleep in the middle of the night she crawled up to my bed to sleep for a while, by about 5 or 6am she was bouncing off the walls (and me :rolleyes:) to get me to open the bedroom door so she could go exploring. And I would classify her as a particularly scardey cat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭SomeUnusedName

He is much better today, he was certaintly bored in his room, so i let him wonder around the house and now hes on the bed... :) still a bit wary but much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you tried Feliway?

When I moved over to Ireland, I bought a diffuser as well as the spray. Although not cheap, it really does help to relax the cat, and get him used to the new surroundings.

I also brought over his unwashed blankets so that he had something familiar to comfort him, and had a few little hidey-holes so that he could tuck himself away if he felt too stressed. He settled very quickly and after a month of keeping him in, he decided to explore as he was fed up looking at four walls!:D

Advertisement