Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to download so much

• 30-04-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Long story short. I am not the billpayer in my household. The billpayer is in fact becoming a bit of a pain in the side. I want to know how not to download as much as I do because apparently we are gone over our limit already.

There's 3 computers in the house. A netbook, a laptop and a PC.

Netbook is used sparingly

The laptop is owned by a 17 yr old girl so its not up to much bar MSN, Facebook and the odd song download.

The PC(mine) is owned by a 20 yr old male so is most likely the culprit here. That said, I'v given up downloading torrents or in fact.. anything large since I got my original warning. For the past month the only downloads the PC could have amounted are from watching Youtube videos, MSN ..etc.

Help me cut down. Please, if you need to know more to help me - do ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You could try turning off graphics on your browsers, then you'll only see text, I've my graphics turned off for most sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

There must be better ways than that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd suggest installing a traffic usage monitor and get a real number on your bandwidth usage. For all you know the laptop could be trojaned to hell and back and be spamming constantly. Or since music is being downloaded, it's client could be left uploading.

That's cool. I'm going to install a traffic monitor on both the PC and Laptop at the beginning of next month and at the end we'll see who the culprit is.

How would I check for trojans on the laptop? It's got Norton on it so I thought that would be taken care of, no?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's cool. I'm going to install a traffic monitor on both the PC and Laptop at the beginning of next month and at the end we'll see who the culprit is.

How would I check for trojans on the laptop? It's got Norton on it so I thought that would be taken care of, no?

Plenty of advice here for trojan checking:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

MalwareBytes has proven popular for a good while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

There could be more users than you think.

I am the only person in my household, with a monthly 30GB limit on my Eircom package. A few months ago, I got a surprise, on receiving my bill, to be charged extra for going over this limit.

I use the internet quite a bit, but my browsing sounds like your restricted version - youtube, hotmail, general research and reading, occasional downloads.

On phoning Eircom I realised that at least one of my neighbours was hacking into my wireless connection. (the Eircom assistant was able to advise that there were two computers accessing the modem at that moment).

This was despite the fact that my modem was password protected. I was then advised that the security on the older Eircom modems (mine is 2007) was not great. They then updated the security settings, and we changed the password, which has resolved the problem.

Also, if your household is using Eircom, you should download their "usage meter" which allows you to monitor the usage throughout the month. I don't think though that this can be done for each computer individually. It will show the usage for the account as a whole. However, it would give your household a much better ability to track usage, and check the impact if, say, you were away for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    On phoning Eircom I realised that at least one of my neighbours was hacking into my wireless connection. This was despite the fact that my modem was password protected. I was then advised that the security on the older Eircom modems (mine is 2007) was not great. They then updated the security settings, and we changed the password, which has resolved the problem.

'Not great' is a bit of an understatement, those older models very easy to get around. I remember a program going around a couple of years ago written by someone out in UCD, could get you the password for any Eircom modem (up until they upgraded them of course...).

I cant find where to download this eircom usage meter.. help please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ArdRi79

Its probably the P2P. Ive found the upload and download usage are combined to calculate your monthly usage on 3mobile broadband. I fell asleep one night with Bittorrent running and woke up to an 80 euro penalty from sharing...

Nasty. To avoid that scenario either avoid it completely (my eye) or be a leecher until you find a proper internet service provider. Im stuck half way through an 18 month contract with 3 (I got a free modem woohoo) and thats what Im doing.

• Advertisement

Its not P2P. I havent downloaded any torrents since the billpayer came down hard on me. The 17 yr old laptop user uses youtube to MP3 converters to download her music.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ArdRi79

That could be it too depending on the amount of mp3's. You know yourself it involves downloading a much larger video file only to convert it to a small mp3. Youd probably get a whole album for the price of 1 video... if its whole albums your sis might be better off with p2p so long as she watches the sharing.

Tryin telling your sis something though. Mine would bury me and smear my face with jam hehe

I have tried explaining to her why torrent files would be better than using youtube converters. I know full well that what she is doing is taking up a whole load of bandwidth but she'll have none of it. "I don't want the whole album I just want THAT song!," :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

It's around 20MB to watch the average 3 or 4 min vid on youtube at 360p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm calling porkies on the bill payer. what ISP are you with? most of them have a cap of around 20gb, which is easily enough for your current usage. find out your actual cap, and definitely install a bandwidth monitoring tool.

If I recall correctly, I was told our cap is 20gb and we've already used 30gb. Ill confirm that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Three people will go through 20GB pretty quickly, especially if getting music off Youtube is a common occurrence.

Switch up to a product with a higher allowance. Pay the difference yourself in order to keep the bill payer happy.

Total allowance - 10gb

You have reached 13% of your monthly usage allowance.

That's what the eircom bandwidth monitor is telling me. Remember today is the first day of the month. That's 13% in one day. Christ almighty.

Total allowance - 10gb

You have reached 13% of your monthly usage allowance.

That's what the eircom bandwidth monitor is telling me. Remember today is the first day of the month. That's 13% in one day. Christ almighty.

10gb limit? Is that the lowest Eircom package? That's €46.79 a month normally. For €49.75 on UPC you get a 30meg package and a 250gb limit.

I just checked with UPC. It says that broadband isnt available at my address.

• Advertisement

I just checked with UPC. It says that broadband isnt available at my address.

Are you in a rural area? If so you may be out of luck.

If you're in an urban area other phone based providers may be of use then.

Smart Telecom:

http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband.aspx

€39.95 gets you 10meg and a 170gb cap.

Ah, I wasnt too sure what 'traffic included' meant. The billpayer at the moment is more open to a switch but doesnt like the prices Im quoting. They are currently paying 40 odd on a once every two months bill. Everything Im showing them is 40 odd every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you're stuck with eircom then you're probably better upgrading to the package with the 30 GB allowance as you'll probably be paying the extra anyway with penalties.

However if you can get an alternative it would be better to go with that. Almost anything is better than eircom price-wise.

Ah, I wasnt too sure what 'traffic included' meant. The billpayer at the moment is more open to a switch but doesnt like the prices Im quoting. They are currently paying 40 odd on a once every two months bill. Everything Im showing them is 40 odd every month.

That sounds a bit odd, are you sure they're not including the line rental? I can't find any Eircom package, even their crappiest packages don't approach €20 a month.

Ill get the exact details of the billing tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Getting back to your original question for a moment...
    Some practical suggestions would be:

Avoid repeat downloading. i.e. download it and then look at it as often as you like without adding to your traffic. This isn't always user-friendly though. It would be particularly helpful with videos. Often, videos will stream and each time you replay it, it'll download again; it doesn't save to your hard drive.

Use Opera with Opera Turbo enabled. With Opera Turbo, data is sent through Opera servers and compressed before it gets to you, so the amount of data you receive is less, but you still get all the content. It's the same as using a normal browser. Not sure exactly how much of a saving this would produce, but it might be worth a try. It's really meant for people on slow connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Hey OP,

Suggest the billpayer takes a look at this

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/productdetails.jsp?productid=381057&producttypetab=HOMEPHONEBROANDBAND&categorytab=subcategory_1&perlicoid=115017

We switched to them and have have a great service and with 120GB limit you will be sweet. No surprise bills and we also have 3 computers in the house(2labtops and one desktop). We would be online for a total of maybe 20-40hours a day doing various things but never come close to going over the limits. That bill includes all free calls to landline also and 200 to vodafone mobiles with decent speed if available. (they can at least match your current Eircom speed as far as I know

The €52 a month bill is just too high for the billpayer Im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

The €52 a month bill is just too high for the billpayer Im afraid.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/productdetails.jsp?productid=381054&producttypetab=HOMEPHONEBROANDBAND&categorytab=subcategory_1&perlicoid=115007

This one is €40 but with 4 times your current limmits, maybe better suited. Thats about all I know on the subject anyway...change providers as I have no idea of how to reduce/restrict downloads but seems you have got good advice there from the others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Line rental alone is €25 a month, so it's not possible to be paying €40 every two months for phone and broadband, unless they're not paying line rental due to disability benefit or pension. If that's the case, then you can discount the line rental off any of the prices you see on the other options. So subtract €25 off any of the monthly prices quoted.

Either that or they are reading their bill wrongly.

Advertisement