Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to download so much

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

jor el wrote: »
    Line rental alone is €25 a month, so it's not possible to be paying €40 every two months for phone and broadband, unless they're not paying line rental due to disability benefit or pension. If that's the case, then you can discount the line rental off any of the prices you see on the other options. So subtract €25 off any of the monthly prices quoted.

Either that or they are reading their bill wrongly.

+1

No way a bi-monthly bill can be €40 without the government paying your line rental. If they do now and you switch, the same will apply with your new provider. Take the €40 p/m package I showed you. Take off the €25 for line rental and you get €15. Multiply that by two = €30 every two months. Ask the billpayer about it because I know for a fact that you cannot dodge line rental unless its because of a benefit of some kind. Not sure about other companies but just ask them do they get it covered. I know Vodafone do accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

With a 10 gig limit and payment of €20/month sounds like they are using some sort of mobile broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

It's not mobile broadband. It's a modem. The billpayer got onto eircom earlier today. The man on the other end of the phone was able to tell us that the last time someone was connected to our internet was between 6 and 630am. Everyone in our house at the time would have been asleep. It's now been established that someone else is connecting to our broadband wirelessly. We've been upgraded to a 30gb cap and told not to download anything that isn't totally necessary for the next 3 days and to keep an eye on the bandwidth we clock.

I think the fella she was on to has all but convinced her to upgrade to the 30gb package. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

It's not mobile broadband. It's a modem. The billpayer got onto eircom earlier today. The man on the other end of the phone was able to tell us that the last time someone was connected to our internet was between 6 and 630am. Everyone in our house at the time would have been asleep. It's now been established that someone else is connecting to our broadband wirelessly. We've been upgraded to a 30gb cap and told not to download anything that isn't totally necessary for the next 3 days and to keep an eye on the bandwidth we clock.

I think the fella she was on to has all but convinced her to upgrade to the 30gb package. Happy days.
    aarg I assume the eircom support changed your WEP password to a real encription, ie WPA2?

did you have to enter a new password to use the internet today?

She said they went through 101 steps over the phone before he told her that what they were doing wasn't going to work. He then walked her through another load of steps before telling her that he's switched her from WEP to WAP. Yes, we had to enter a new password today - one which she made up upon his request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

She said they went through 101 steps over the phone before he told her that what they were doing wasn't going to work. He then walked her through another load of steps before telling her that he's switched her from WEP to WAP. Yes, we had to enter a new password today - one which she made up upon his request.
    Eircom are an incompetant bunch of monkeys. whatever 101 steps he put her through was completely unnessisary im sure of it. all that needed to be fixed was the WEP password, which isnt a password at all, since it was cracked over 3 years ago!

i would have suggested changing the WEP password yourself, but i didnt think about it because i didnt think you were actually with eircom or using WEP (the low price and 10gb cap put me off)

you should be all clear anyway. unless the hacker got into your router itself (likely if they werent feeling lazy, but im sure hope to god that the Eircon guys got the billpayer to change that password too.
    We've been upgraded to a 30gb cap and told not to download anything that isn't totally necessary for the next 3 days and to keep an eye on the bandwidth we clock.

dont worry about that bull****, you can use the internet freely again. dont be afraid to go on facebook or whatever :)

EDIT: on second thought, knowing eircom, ask your billpayer if she got the router password changed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

The billpayer got onto eircom earlier today. The man on the other end of the phone was able to tell us that the last time someone was connected to our internet was between 6 and 630am. Everyone in our house at the time would have been asleep. It's now been established that someone else is connecting to our broadband wirelessly. We've been upgraded to a 30gb cap and told not to download anything that isn't totally necessary for the next 3 days and to keep an eye on the bandwidth we clock.

I knew it!! This is exactly what I suspected, from my own experience, and highlighted in post seven.

The Eircom modems issued from 2004 to 2008 seem to have had very weak security - this is even acknowledged on their website. However, it shouldn't have that much work to upgrade the settings. In my case, this was done very quickly.

To be honest, I'd say you may not need a 30gb package. I personally have a 20gb package. Now, I am the only user in my house at present, but, with a usage pattern similar to what you described, I usually only use 4-5GB per month. In the months before I realised what was going on, my beautiful neighbours had driven it to well above the 20gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Im the only user of internet in my house and I use a dongle from three..I cannot use the internet during the day time due to "congestion" so I do all my downloading late at night. I easily use up 30GB per month, dont ask me how I manage it but I do :p . If you are watching youtube a lot then that will eat into your allowance, I suggest never watching in HD and if you are only browsing videos then watch them in 240p .

Also if you are running out of GB towards the end of the month always leave 500MB because if you log on to check your email, microsoft update could start downloading in the background or whatever and if you are too close to your cap then that could end up being a costly update.

Disable torrent clients also as you dont want them doing anything in the background and if you can avoid clearing your temp internet files, cookies, cache etc then that will help save Mb's too by having information about a specific web site already on your pc for faster loading.

The above tips are for the heavy internet user and if you watch your downloading, streaming etc then you shouldnt have to rely on them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

What was the outcome & are you permanently upgraded to 30gb a month?

PS I love that you call your mother the bill payer :-). I hope my kids afford me the same respect online in 15 years time :-)

I thought I'd covered up the fact that she was my Mother pretty well. It would appear I was wrong :pac:

Well, we are 9 months into this month and have used 23% of our allowance(30gb) I do think she will permanently upgrade at the end of this month, especially since I am going to offer to make up the difference should we go over the limit in future.

• Advertisement

I thought I'd covered up the fact that she was my Mother pretty well. It would appear I was wrong :pac:

Well, we are 9 months into this month and have used 23% of our allowance(30gb) I do think she will permanently upgrade at the end of this month, especially since I am going to offer to make up the difference should we go over the limit in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I have tried explaining to her why torrent files would be better than using youtube converters. I know full well that what she is doing is taking up a whole load of bandwidth but she'll have none of it. "I don't want the whole album I just want THAT song!," :o

show her how to check the song she wants :P

await reply of that's way to complicated :rolleyes:

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    show her how to check the song she wants :P

await reply of that's way to complicated :rolleyes:

Jesus. I completely forget you could do that :o

I'v just pulled up the usage meter to have a nose at what percentage of our allowance we have used up. It's not there - Instead, it's now saying that our Total Product Allowance = Unlimited.

I'v consulted the bill payer about this and she does not know why we've gone from 30gb to unlimited. Any insight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I'v consulted the bill payer about this and she does not know why we've gone from 30gb to unlimited. Any insight?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056264241

So, what exactly are we going to be charged now when the bill arrives?

Advertisement