Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my chihuahua full breed?

• 30-04-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all!!!:D
    i recently brought a chihuahua without papers (didnt see the point in paying for them at the time when i could view the parents) but now i think thats starting to back fire. she weighs extremly heavy and is more of a jack russel size then a chihuahua size with an incredibly round belly, she eats like a dog twice her size but i do only feed her by measuring cup for her age. also her tail is very straight compared to other chihuahuas ,and when shes done somethimng wrong she holds and curls it under herself between her legs which ive read on sites day do not do. shes a long haired breed with a corse-ish coat.

also tho this may seem cruel shes the most dumbest dog iv ever owned or known shes now 7 1/2 mounths and still untrainable toilet wise its really frustrating as other owners have always claimed their chihuahuas where so inteligent and easy to train. i have owned a chihuahua for a short time before, it was much smaller with the curled tail and Very easily trained!!

any advise??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

rainbowsky wrote: »

Yes: you get what you pay for.

If you want a Chihuahua, research the breed and then go to a reputable breeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well without the papers there's no proof as such that your dog is in fact pure bred, or a product of the dogs you viewed.

If the dog seems to have a distended stomach / eating too much I would advise going to your vet to check for worms etc. Whilst at the vet you could ask them if they reckon your dog is a mix or not, that might explain the lack of stereotypical traits.
    Not all dogs are stereotypical of the breed also, some have their own little quirks.

With the toilet training, some dogs do just take longer than others, you just need to have patience and persevere with the routine & getting them to go outside.
    Some dogs (doesn't matter the breed of it) will cower when given out to, and will pull their tail in between their legs. I know a friend of mine had a King Charles who did this regularly, not out of fear but more that it was an overly submissive dog.

Also as EGAR said above, if you're looking for a stereotypical example of a breed, you need to really put in the effort of research and finding the right breeder who has parents with the traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

rainbowsky wrote: »
    hi all!!!:D
    i recently brought a chihuahua without papers (didnt see the point in paying for them at the time when i could view the parents) but now i think thats starting to back fire. she weighs extremly heavy and is more of a jack russel size then a chihuahua size with an incredibly round belly, she eats like a dog twice her size but i do only feed her by measuring cup for her age. also her tail is very straight compared to other chihuahuas ,and when shes done somethimng wrong she holds and curls it under herself between her legs which ive read on sites day do not do. shes a long haired breed with a corse-ish coat.

also tho this may seem cruel shes the most dumbest dog iv ever owned or known shes now 7 1/2 mounths and still untrainable toilet wise its really frustrating as other owners have always claimed their chihuahuas where so inteligent and easy to train. i have owned a chihuahua for a short time before, it was much smaller with the curled tail and Very easily trained!!

Dogs are living creatures that do not come programmable or toilet trained unfortunately!. Someone a long time ago had to toilet train you or you would be going around now doing it whereever too:D
    what I have discovered with toilet training our dogs is the nicer you are the easier it will be. If you get frustrated or lose the head or scare them when they do the wrong thing then forget it.
    Pick the place where it is ok for her to go (ie in our place it is not on the lawn but in the field) and bring her there every few hours. When she goes make a massive fuss the same way whoever toilet trained you had to! the more you tell her how great she is the more she wants to please you.....that I think is hardwired into dogs, they desparately want to please you. Eventually you will get ot a point that she will fly off to "the spot" by herself and come back like she has done a great thing.

Toilet training is not down to breed it is down to the person doing it and the nature of the dog ie if she is scared or not!

She curls her tail under her legs because she is scared of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

First off buying a Chihuahua without doing research and buying from a reputable breeder is crazy imo. Chihuahua's can suffer from a condition called hydrocephalus or water on the brain when badly bred due to their domed skulls, not only can this condition cause brain swelling it can also cause their eyes to bulge out too far for their eyelids to close properly meaning you will have to add drops to their eyes for the rest of their lives to stop them drying out.
    Chihuahua's are also the only breed to have a fontanelle or soft spot like a human baby so please watch that this closes by around a year old as in badly bred Chihuahuas this doesn't happen and can be dangerous if dog gets a bang on the head.
    The Chihuahua breed standard calls for a dog no heavier than 6lbs so by the sounds of it if your dog is a purebred she is way out of standard, however as she is only meant to be a pet this doesn't really matter. The rounded belly sounds like she could be full of worms though as you say she eats alot so this could also be due to overfeeding, do you feed extra bits throughout the day besides her daily meals, treats, tidbits etc. if I never stopped feeding my Chihuahua she would never stop eating so they can have a huge appetite for a small dog.
    How often is she walked, alot of people don't think Chihuahuas need much exercise so they are often carried everywhere, my girl will do an hour around the park each day no problems, she has four legs so I let her use them ;)
    My Chihuahua has a half moon shaped tail, your dog's straight tail could just be due to poor breeding, this is why showing a dog should be done before breeding so any flaws (like a wrongly held tail) can be seen before breeding, only dogs conforming to the breed standard should be bred. Again though as she is only a pet this is no big deal. As for tucking her tail between her legs my girls does this if scared or nervous so this is a typical behaviour.
    Again her coat being coarse is out of breed standard it should be soft to the touch but again as she is a pet this won't matter.
    Chihuahua's are notoriously hard to toilet train, they don't like the cold and they don't like to leave their people so they don't like going outside to go to the toilet. Now that it's warm out though it would be the best time to toilet train, bring her out every half hour and stay with her until she goes to the toilet then add lots of praise (don't over do it as Chihuahua's can sometimes be nervous of too much noise or excitment!!) or a small food treat. The key is consistancy and patience, she will soon get the idea then you can lengthen the times between bringing her out :)
    All in all I would say your dog is either not a full breed or is very badly bred. You have her now so there is nothing you can do but give her a good life, just remember for the next time (and pass onto friends) the importance of getting your dog from a good breeder. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

after having this dog now for so long does it really matter what his breed is? i know if it was my dog i would be thinking" right i might have been done but the dog is here now and is a part of my family " i think if you cant accept the dog for who or what it is then maybe you and certainely the dog would be better of if you find him another home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

'coarse' coat and very round belly sounds like she could gave a bad dose of worms. Buy a broad spectrum wormer from your vet and dose her as per their instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Issues like toilet training are completely down to you as an owner.

Sounds like you need to spend more time with the pup both in terms of training and giving her affection as it sounds to me like she's scared of you.

It's sad that you describe her as dumb, every dog has great potential, they just need the right owners to bring it out in them. And comparing her to "other owners" of the breed who claim their dogs are so intelligent and easily trained...well that's just a little immature IMO

Put the effort in with your pup and both of you will reap the benefits!

Good luck:)

Advertisement