Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentaries

Options
  • 30-04-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

All my life I heard the classic cliches about how playing too many video games will turn you into a mindless killer and so on and so forth. I know a lot of research has been done regarding this, and how addictive games can or cannot be. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for another thread full of Games Are Evil Vs Games Are Art. No, instead I'm wondering are there any good documantaries covering these topics that I could be on the look out for? I remember seeing one a few months ago on BBC which was quite interesting, and I'd quite like to see more like it, especially ones covering video game violence and it's side effect on the human mind, because I've always found both sides of this argument fascinating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There wount be many proper documentaries. Usually they are done to back up gamehaters side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do you consider fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) violent?

Would it therefore follow that all FG players are violent, sadistic bastards looking to do nothing but hurt you?

If you think "YES", more fool you. :)

I Got Next (short cut)
    King of Chinatown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Don't get me wrong, I'm not backing the "playing video games makes you violent" idea. I spent my youth playing Street Fighter, Doom, Duke Nukem, and (my personal favourite) Mortal Kombat, exposing me to high levels of violence left, right, and center, and I still game like a mad man today, yet I'm far from being a violent person. However, as I mentioned in my original post, I find the idea of it very interesting, and would love to see more documentaries on it. I know which side of the fence I stand on, and I've no intention on moving from it, I just like to see the other side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If you want to see an utterly biased piece, watch Panorama's documentary. Pretty sure it's uploaded to YouTube and should be linked on a thread here too.

There are better balanced documentaries out there.....

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I just remember that supernanny one doing a study,
    a child who playred a violent video game for 1 hour was more likley to be oblivious to a pencil case falling and also might be less mannerily...

big woop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not what OP is looking for but King of Kong is worth seeing for entertainment.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not what OP is looking for but King of Kong is worth seeing for entertainment.

Yes, I've seen this one. I thought it was fantastic stuff. I'll give the Panarama one a rumble, and see if it's good. Keep'em coming, guys :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

again not what your looking for, but TETRIS: FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is well worth a watch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6600940307313929454#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Doubt there'd be many or ANY documentaries about it since there's no direct connection between games and violence. I've been in many physical fights and I never started any of them, and evey one of my enemies has been a meat headed thug who couldn't handle a game of mobile phone snake, let alone a full feaure game. Honestly, take one look at the prison population and tell me any of them are gaming nerds.

Anyone whose violent is going to be violent regardless if he/she plays some GTA or not. The media love to hype stories of violent people expressing it was games that gave em the push to be violent... then ya do less than a minute of google a find that the person grew up with abusive/no parents and from a rough area... but that has nothing to do with it... surely it was all that gunplay in Devil May Cry and fire casting in Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Charlie Brookers Gameswipe is worth a look very good piece

Edit Lol don't type drunk couldn't even spell Game !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's a busload of free ones to be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDNetworks#p/u

Quite an interesting series, was abandoned a fair while back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

just watched the Tetris one...its great!

Excellent stuff, lads. they'll all get checked out in the next few days. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

There was also that episode of Penn and Teller: Bulls*it that criticized the idea that violent video games cause people to kill in real life. I recommend giving it a watch.

There was also that episode of Penn and Teller: Bulls*it that criticized the idea that violent video games cause people to kill in real life. I recommend giving it a watch.

Oooh, now that defo sounds interesting. Even though Penn and Teller are a comic act, I defo reckon I'll watch this one.

Also, Retro (I think) posted a youtube link a few days ago showing a heated debate about violence in video games. Would have been great if only it was a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

deathrider wrote: »
    Oooh, now that defo sounds interesting. Even though Penn and Teller are a comic act, I defo reckon I'll watch this one.
    Kinda off topic, but who the hell says defo? Sounds like something the D4's would say.
    deathrider wrote: »
    Also, Retro (I think) posted a youtube link a few days ago showing a heated debate about violence in video games. Would have been great if only it was a bit longer.
    I think there was that one with Alan Titchmarsh in a debate against that dude from CVG.com. You know that you don't know video gaming when you say "Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare" right off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Penn and Teller one is good too.

Kinda off topic, but who the hell says defo? Sounds like something the D4's would say.

Yeah, it's not a phrase I'd say out load, but I can never remember the spelling of the word definite (even when it's right, it still looks wrong to me).

Just watched that Penn and Teller one, and it was very enjoyable. I remeber watching those guys on Channel 4 on friday or saturday nights when my folks were out when I was a kid, but I honestly don't remember Penn being so foul mouthed... Still, he made me chuckle. Some fantastic points raised in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

lol its deffo and no its not a D4 thing , its been going for years, guess its just not reached Claire yet :p

Advertisement