Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klitschko-Haye in doubt yet again, Press conferences cancelled....

• 01-05-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

From the Guardian.
    David Haye and Wladimir Klitschko have cancelled press conferences in Hamburg and London next week because "there are still issues to be resolved" – although a Haye source says the world heavyweight unification fight set for 2 July is "not in jeopardy".

Texts from Hayemaker Promotions late on Saturday afternoon to Sky and their own operatives advising of the cancellation spread mild panic in the business, given the tortuous history between the two champions.

Adam Booth, Haye's trainer and manager, did not return calls but the fighter's press officer, Elliott Worsell, said he doubted the contest would be called off.

The fighters, who genuinely loathe each other, attended a press conference in New York on Tuesday and there were hints that the biggest heavyweight fight in nearly a decade still relied on a lot of mutual goodwill.

Klitschko, who holds the WBO and IBF versions of the title, said: "He signed the contract ... again," said Klitschko – a reference to Haye's withdrawing through injury from their first scheduled encounter nearly 18 months ago. "I will not believe the fight will happen until I see David Haye in the corner across from me. Thank God he's coming into the ring first."

Haye, the WBA champion, then criticized Klitschko for twice pulling out of defences against Dereck Chisora. "I'm as worried about whether he's going to show up as he is about whether I'm going to show up," Haye said.

But there was no indication that this amounted to anything more than pre-fight hype. A layer of mystery has been added to the melodrama now, whatever the assurances of the Haye camp.

Knew this fight was too good to be true, David Haye is such a fag seriously.

How long will the Haye-Klitschkos fight go IYO? 43 votes

1-3 rounds
    0% 0 votes
    4-6 rounds
    13% 6 votes
    7-9 rounds
    30% 13 votes
    10-11 rounds
    41% 18 votes
    Until the 12th round
    2% 1 vote
    The full distance
    11% 5 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

From David Hayes twitter 3 hours ago -

david haye (@mrdavidhaye)
    30/04/2011 22:23
    The press conferences "pencilled" in for this week are now "penned" in for next week!!! - the fight is 100% ON!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It will go ahead. Too much money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

I think this is over ticket allocation now. It's def one of these fights I won't believe it will happen until both reach the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

It's happening folks.

Haye pulled out last time so the fight would be more hyped this time I think. Anyone else going?

WAR WLAD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

what a press conference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think it will be some fight. I've a feeling some people think Wladimir will be KO'd by the great David Haye, he has a weak chin and has fought weak opposition, has not proved himself, etc.

But I think the 2 fighters will really test each other and it will be the flip of a coin to decide the winner. Both 2 good fighters at their peaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Off topic but i didnt want to start a new thread...

Would you reckon david haye drinks alcohol or not?

Random question i know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Off topic but i didnt want to start a new thread...

Would you reckon david haye drinks alcohol or not?

Random question i know!

Out of training camps Id say he has a drink, doubt he's a heavy drinker though, ps. This is not a 50-50 fight, Haye was scared to go at Harrison! so what will he be like with wlad, punchers chance is all I give him.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This is one of them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

cowzerp wrote: »
    Out of training camps Id say he has a drink, doubt he's a heavy drinker though, ps. This is not a 50-50 fight, Haye was scared to go at Harrison! so what will he be like with wlad, punchers chance is all I give him.

Ill put a sneaky 20 on a Haye knockout with ya Paul... well?

• Advertisement

Ill put a sneaky 20 on a Haye knockout with ya Paul... well?

Done, and ya better pay up!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This is a real hard one to call but there's decent odds on Haye to win by K.O(2/1) and Wlad to win on points (10/3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

klitchko was entertaining in that clip of the press conference!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Haye really thought he was a fraud, I think he would have been more disrespectful when Wlad was interacting with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

cowzerp wrote: »

I heard him say before that he's a teetotaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Christ, Haye isn't half as brash when Wladimir is in his face is he?

That press conference was quite strange, this isn't the version of Wlad that Haye had built up in his head, witty, cocky, and dying to take the piss out of him.

Haye was hoping for the cold approach by Wlad, and already Haye looks a little rattled going by that display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Klitschko is great in these press conferences, can see him just jabbing all night and stopping him late on.

Anyone else think that Wlad looks like a complete tool in these, he hasn't a funny bone in his body. He's like an embarrassing Dad when he tries to be funny.
    I'm not saying Haye is funny but watching Wlad is pretty cringy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Boooourns wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Wlad looks like a complete tool in these, he hasn't a funny bone in his body. He's like an embarrassing Dad when he tries to be funny.
    I'm not saying Haye is funny but watching Wlad is pretty cringy.

I actually find him fairly entertaining, I like how relaxed he comes across and I think it's getting to haye that he's not getting wound up. He knows that once he steps foot in the ring, the rubbish talked before won't matter. He has said Haye is a talented boxer and will be training like he's fighting a top fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm just waiting for Haye to hurt his back or one of his hands in training.

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    I actually find him fairly entertaining, I like how relaxed he comes across and I think it's getting to haye that he's not getting wound up. He knows that once he steps foot in the ring, the rubbish talked before won't matter. He has said Haye is a talented boxer and will be training like he's fighting a top fighter

Yeah i'm always entertained by him but in a car crash television kind of way. Was it Wlad that had the entrance with the footage of himself and Ali before his last fight? and then you have the woeful rock bands that play music for them.
    The Klitchkos are pure entertainment for me but for the wrong reason, they're the boxing version of the Eurovision contest, although i wouldn't say it to their face. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

colly10 wrote: »

Yes he's far too wise to let Haye's mind games unsettle him. As you say Klitschko seems the more naturally of ease of the two.
    I think Haye hopes by trying to wind up Klitschko, about being boring, that he'll abandon his usual fighting style. Perhaps, for all the trash talk, Haye knows deep down if Klitschko fights in the usual way that he's really up against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for Haye to hurt his back or one of his hands in training.

The same. I won't believe this fight is really happening till the two of them are actually in the ring.

IMO Wladimir has come across very well in these press conferences. He's actually pretty funny and comes across as a very likeable guy in a lot of these new interviews. It's also pretty clear that he's a gentleman who respects his opponents and doesn't feel the need to slur them prior to fights, unlike Haye.

Wlad has broken up with his girlfriend, Hayden Panetteire, citing that it was too hard to maintain a long distance relationship as the reason. Apparently they remain friends. Hopefully this won't affect Wlad's performance.

Wlad KO9 Haye

So far Wlad totally owns Haye!!

His iq is just on a different level..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Haye is playing the bad guy, and Wlad, the good guy, and Wlad IMO is pulling it off better. He seems the more calm and confident guy. Haye is just trying too hard I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Haye is an absolute tool, slagging Wlad saying he sounds like Borat on ringside.:rolleyes: How many languages can you speak Haye. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see Haye get sparked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Klitschko seems very relaxed and enjoying the build up to the fight,"Shake the magic hand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

press conference was sh**ty him self at that press conference, I hope Klitschko does some damage to him, he is like a machine when hes fighting now stop attack attack.

he is by far the most Down to Earth Boxer i ever seen, but you dont want to f((k with him i say he kill you with 1 punch

• Advertisement

Hopefully Wlad shatters Haye's fragile mandible in devastating fashion.

Advertisement