Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klitschko-Haye in doubt yet again, Press conferences cancelled....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I don't believe a word that comes out of Haye's mouth and I don't see him retiring if he beats Wlad.

Holyfield was a cruiserweight too though, and did very well at heavyweight so it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

djhaxman wrote: »
    I don't believe a word that comes out of Haye's mouth and I don't see him retiring if he beats Wlad.

Holyfield was a cruiserweight too though, and did very well at heavyweight so it can be done.

Holyfield tested himself at heavyweight against other contenders and champs though in fairness at a time when the division was alot more deeper.

Being a fellow crusierweight is not enough to allow Haye draw comparisons with himself and the real deal. For a start Haye would need to clean out a very poor division of all of the other contenders and then be competitive with its top dogs.

And even if he did that its still not clearcut given how poor the division is today.

I think there are a number of contenders out there today who would give Haye a run for his money, namely Adamek, Chambers and Povetkin. I'd even give Chisora, Arreola and hell even Mike Perez a chance against Haye.

This talk of one punch knockout power in each hand at heavyweight level is rubbish too. He is an opportunistic, accumulation puncher at this weight.

For me, he hasnt even been tested as a Heavyweight. I know its the same old story to be thrown up but the guy has fought Tomasz Bonin, Monte Barrett, Nicolai Valuev, John Ruiz and Audley Harrison at heavyweight FFS.

One thing ill credit him for is being extremely fast and throws good combinations for a heavyweight. And he is a remarkable self promoter having practically talked his way to where he is now in the heavyweight division.

I'd actually hope he gets a lucky KO of Wlad just to see himself and Vitali fight because that wouldn't be pretty for Haye.
    All in all, I reckon he will get a severe shock when he feels that first jab of Wlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Brad Goodman

The way I see the fight going is similar to the Harrison fight with Haye waiting for an opportunity to pounce. Obviously Vlad will be throwing more than Harrison was but it will mostly be the jab. Around the 3rd or 4th round Haye will jump in letting his hands go. Now for me, 1 of 2 things will happen. Haye will either catch Vlad square on the chin and have him on queer street or walk into a straight right and be put instantly to sleep. My head goes with with Vlad, my heart would love to see a jelly legged Vlad being chased all over the ring by Haye as Manny Steward has a conniption in the corner!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Haye to win by ko in the 6th had a dream about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

djhaxman wrote: »

Yeah, but Haye doesn't have the advantage of dat dere bull shark testosterone that Evander was on.

Prime Holy KO 3 Haye

• Advertisement

How can Haye be tested when there's no-one out there worth fighting except the Klitschkos? By that I mean financially as well, much as we hate it, money is a massive part of all this.

I agree that Holyfield would beat Haye, but the heavyweight division is a lot weaker than it was back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

what ye reckon? Haye is such a knob jockey I hope Klitschko destroys him! Its such a pity it is mostly spoofing and for the money now :(...Still I'll pay my 20 euro and get all wrapped up in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Haye is just trying to get as many people off the fence as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

July 2nd? Balls. I thought it was next week.

Should be an interesting fight. Apollo Creed vs Ivan Drago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

really looking forward to this fight now after watching that.

hats off to haye, he is a brave man. totally slating klitchko to his face and the man is a monster! may seriously regret it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

Don't think its brave for Haye to challenge him/face him like he did...it's what they do. Fighters don't do bravado - they do inner belief.
    Ye don't get in there with a 6'6'' dude if ye don't think ye can take im :)

Its been said before in the thread, they both believe they've got each other's number. Time will tell.
    But like jayob says, Haye's combinations could tell....

That's my prediction. Haye, with speed n combinations.....assuming he's hacked Wlad's psyche..and the jab n hold strategy is lost for the 'lemme at im' tactic.

StevePH wrote: »
    Don't think its brave for Haye to challenge him/face him like he did...it's what they do. Fighters don't do bravado - they do inner belief.
    Ye don't get in there with a 6'6'' dude if ye don't think ye can take im :)

Its been said before in the thread, they both believe they've got each other's number. Time will tell.
    But like jayob says, Haye's combinations could tell....

That's my prediction. Haye, with speed n combinations.....assuming he's hacked Wlad's psyche..and the jab n hold strategy is lost for the 'lemme at im' tactic.

I mentioned Hayes speed and combinations as his main strengths. I think he will have to be very lucky to beat Wlad to be honest, cannot see it happening at all.
    Wlad is not Valuev who Haye will be able to dance around and potshot. Wlad is a superb athlete with a jab that will shake Haye and it will land.

ye know...I agree, Wlad is athletic. A supreme athlete, no. - cos we've never seen him against an equal (athletic Wlad-type) so we dunno how he'd cope against an equal.
    What I'm tryin to say is Wlad has never, in his career, had to fight. He's boxed, he's he's moved. He's never had to dig deep/face adversity/fight back (he's just buckled when faced with somethin better). I'm not sayin Haye will drag him into a brawl but Haye might show him something different from what he's used to....i'm hopin.

I'm hopin, for the sake of boxin, Haye makes him try to adapt to a different approach........and we get a FIGHT! :)

StevePH wrote: »
    ye know...I agree, Wlad is athletic. A supreme athlete, no. - cos we've never seen him against an equal (athletic Wlad-type) so we dunno how he'd cope against an equal.
    What I'm tryin to say is Wlad has never, in his career, had to fight. He's boxed, he's he's moved. He's never had to dig deep/face adversity/fight back (he's just buckled when faced with somethin better). I'm not sayin Haye will drag him into a brawl but Haye might show him something different from what he's used to....i'm hopin.

I'm hopin, for the sake of boxin, Haye makes him try to adapt to a different approach........and we get a FIGHT! :)

What makes you think Haye is even on the level of some of thes other so called "fat bums" Wlad has faced? (who happened to be ranked contenders but lets not let that get in the way of the Haye hype machine ;) )

We have not seen Wlad in with an equal in some time because is just that good right now, and the division is poor. His brother is the only fighter who is his equal.

Wlad has adpated his style, the gung ho approach has gone. And he is all the better for it.

There are tougher fights out there for Wlad than Haye i reckon. None are worth as much money though and this is credit to haye's promotion skills.

Haye would not have stood a chance if he had to clean out the division before getting a shot at either brother. I've mentioned in my above posts that I reckon there are at least 2-3 heavyweights who would take Haye if he took the chance.

Really annoys me when i hear him slate Wlad for fighting fat bums and saying how poor the division is, when he basques in his "legacy" as a heavyweight champ. And I genuinely think hes that deluded to believe he is a huge deal.

General UK punters are mugs of the highest order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jayob10 wrote: »
    What makes you think Haye is even on the level of some of thes other so called "fat bums" Wlad has faced? (who happened to be ranked contenders but lets not let that get in the way of the Haye hype machine ;) )

We have not seen Wlad in with an equal in some time because is just that good right now, and the division is poor. His brother is the only fighter who is his equal.

Wlad has adpoted his style, the gung ho approach has gone. And he is all the better for it.

There are tougher fights out there for Wlad than Haye i reckon. None are worth as much money though and this is credit to haye's promotion skills.

Haye would not have stood a chance if he had to clean out the division before getting a shot at either brother. I've mentioned in my above posts that I reckon there are at least 2-3 heavyweights who would take Haye if he took the chance.

Really annoys me when i hear him slate Wlad for fighting fat bums and saying how poor the division is, when he basques in his "legacy" as a heavyweight champ. And I genuinely think hes that deluded to believe he is a huge deal.

General UK punters are mugs of the highest order

Fully agreed, Haye's career is unremarkable, even him beating both Klitschkos wont make him a great, he'll be arguably a great at best if he manages to beat them before his pretty boy style retirement.

Dunno why ye are all getting wound up with what Haye says, it's all for the TV cameras anyway :confused:

I don't mind a bit of arrogance if you can back it up, we'll see in a couple of weeks if he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

What time will the fight be on at? 11?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Wlad is not Valuev who Haye will be able to dance around and potshot.
    ....a jab that will shake Haye and it will land.

I agree and disagree with ye there.
    Haye will dance around Wlad to a certain degree. Wlad's lateral movement is terrible.
    Haye's speed is, IMO, a better weapon than the power he undoubtedly has.
    Haye's movement coupled with a hook from outta nowwhere is what I think could be Wlad's downfall....should that happen.

However........the longer the fight goes on, I do believe Wlad's rangefinder of a jab will find the target sooner or later. Whether that happens before Wlad gets tagged is the clincher.....IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

I can see haye running around the ring trying to jump in and out with a couple of quick combo's, trying to tier out vlad.

vlad will be too strong and when haye gets a taste of that jab he will know all about it.

Vlad to win by ko in the middle rds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think Vlad on points, by a large margin. I think he can impose his style on Haye, who is likely to be unable to make much inroads through Vlad's jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If Klitschko stick to his usual style he should win this fight. Haye's movement has looked good against poor heavyweights, i just don't see him being able to get in and out without tasting Wlad's power. I believe he is actually going to be stunned by the power of Wlad. I hope for his sake he isn't made to look foolish by being stopped very early on, but it could well happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I want a proper answer as to why people think Haye is chinny.

He was completely weight drained when his corner threw in the towel against Carl Thompson. He was hit by great punches from Mormeck that knocked him and he proceeded to get up and KO Mormeck. He took a flush shot from Monte Barrett while sitting down after a slip and then got up directly after it to flatten Barrett.

I'm not saying he has a great chin capable of taking Wlads best shots but I'd like to see the evidence that he's going to get sparked out easily.

Wlad on the otherhand HAS a somewhat suspect chin and Haye is a very fast mover and big puncher. If Haye lands flush on Wlad its game over.

TBH, I'm really looking forward to this. It might be cagey but it won't be a grappling match, thats for sure

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I want a proper answer as to why people think Haye is chinny.

He was completely weight drained when his corner threw in the towel against Carl Thompson. He was hit by great punches from Mormeck that knocked him and he proceeded to get up and KO Mormeck. He took a flush shot from Monte Barrett while sitting down after a slip and then got up directly after it to flatten Barrett.

I'm not saying he has a great chin capable of taking Wlads best shots but I'd like to see the evidence that he's going to get sparked out easily.

Wlad on the otherhand HAS a somewhat suspect chin and Haye is a very fast mover and big puncher. If Haye lands flush on Wlad its game over.

TBH, I'm really looking forward to this. It might be cagey but it won't be a grappling match, thats for sure

Haye's power is overrated. Even if he lands on Wlad, its not game over at all. Haye couldn't KO Audrey Harrison, who simply fell down the first time in their fight after a barrage if punches and the ref stepped in then. His power is good, but he is nota 1 punch KO artist like people think.

Haye can't finish for ****. He had pensioner Ruiz dowb in Round 1 and it took him 8 more rounds to get him out. Even against Macarrinelli when he had him in the corner all he did was slip him, but then landed a nice shot. Haye slaps a lot. he had Barrett down like 4 times before the ref intervened.

When Wlad hits you, you stay down, thats HW power. none of this getting back up for another go rubbish.

About Haye's chin, he got KTFO by Jim Twight in the amateurs, and the video was on youtube until a few weeks ago when hayemaker promotions took offense. He's not as chinny as he's made out to be, but when an amateur light heavy is taking you out with 1 shot, Wladimir Klitschko's power will be more than sufficient.

Wlad KO 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Haye's power is overrated. Even if he lands on Wlad, its not game over at all. Haye couldn't KO Audrey Harrison, who simply fell down the first time in their fight after a barrage if punches and the ref stepped in then. His power is good, but he is nota 1 punch KO artist like people think.

Haye can't finish for ****. He had pensioner Ruiz dowb in Round 1 and it took him 8 more rounds to get him out. Even against Macarrinelli when he had him in the corner all he did was slip him, but then landed a nice shot. Haye slaps a lot. he had Barrett down like 4 times before the ref intervened.

When Wlad hits you, you stay down, thats HW power. none of this getting back up for another go rubbish.

About Haye's chin, he got KTFO by Jim Twight in the amateurs, and the video was on youtube until a few weeks ago when hayemaker promotions took offense. He's not as chinny as he's made out to be, but when an amateur light heavy is taking you out with 1 shot, Wladimir Klitschko's power will be more than sufficient.

Wlad KO 9

There again, amateur light heavyweight- haye was 12 and a half stone. Its the same as watching the old footage of Pacquiao getting KO'd and cross eyed with 1 punch by some unknown when he was 3 stone lighter, yet he wouldn't be called chinny now.

I fully agree with you that Wlad has serious stopping power but I also believe that Haye has the power to stop him. Whether he has the skill to do that is another thing though. I'd be leaning towards a late stoppage from Klitschko same as yourself but I would not be surprised to see Haye stop him either. I dont see Haye winning on points in any case, Wlad could easily just stick the jab out all night and coast to victory.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    There again, amateur light heavyweight- haye was 12 and a half stone. Its the same as watching the old footage of Pacquiao getting KO'd and cross eyed with 1 punch by some unknown when he was 3 stone lighter, yet he wouldn't be called chinny now.

I fully agree with you that Wlad has serious stopping power but I also believe that Haye has the power to stop him. Whether he has the skill to do that is another thing though. I'd be leaning towards a late stoppage from Klitschko same as yourself but I would not be surprised to see Haye stop him either. I dont see Haye winning on points in any case, Wlad could easily just stick the jab out all night and coast to victory.

Agreed. The onus is on Haye to be the aggressor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is this on Sky Box office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Any idea for a start time for this fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Boxers with a better chin than Haye have been sparked by Wlad. Recovering from a good punch by a cruiserweight is incomparable to overcoming a good shot from a heavy - handed heavyweight.
    Haye does have a chance of knocking out Wlad
    However being elusive and looking good against average and past it heavyweights is one thing, doing it against a fighter of the calibre of Wlad is another matter. Haye, I believe will get punished trying to land on Wlad, he may not be taken out as early as i suggested, eventually thought Wlad's power and strength will takes its toll. Haye best chance is if Wlad starts hesitantly and he manages to surprise him early.

bret69 wrote: »
    Any idea for a start time for this fight?

About 10.15pm Irish time

• Advertisement

Boxers with a better chin than Haye have been sparked by Wlad. Recovering from a good punch by a cruiserweight is incomparable to overcoming a good shot from a heavy - handed heavyweight.
    Haye does have a chance of knocking out Wlad
    However being elusive and looking good against average and past it heavyweights is one thing, doing it against a fighter of the calibre of Wlad is another matter. Haye, I believe will get punished trying to land on Wlad, he may not be taken out as early as i suggested, eventually thought Wlad's power and strength will takes its toll. Haye best chance is if Wlad starts hesitantly and he manages to surprise him early.

In fairness, I don't think Haye or Booth are idiots. Booth will have a game plan, it's just a question of how long Haye sticks to it before trying to unload. He cannot afford to be reckless.

I see an extremely cagey start by Haye, where he will try and avoid everything that Wlad throws. The only problem here is that Haye is not a counter puncher. He has to be the agressor, but its going to be tough against a fighter so much more powerful and defensive.

I think Wlads jab will seriously trouble Haye. And if he lands flush on Haye with a power shot its lights out.

Everyone seems to think its only a matter of time before Haye manages to catch Wlad with a big shot but its quite conceivable that Haye gets nowhere near Wlad. He will respect his power too much to be careless.

Don't forget that Haye only landed one power shot on Valuev who was a far less mobile fighter. And we all know Wlad has a dodgy chin but he has perfected the art of not leaving it exposed.

This is an extremely difficult fight for Haye. I expect Wlad to be patient as always. His jab will set up a mid round stoppage.

Haye can only win this if he catches Wlad cold in the first or second round. And its not beyond the realms of possibility either.

Advertisement