Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmithing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

newby.204 wrote: »
    ............ Realistically the only qualification you need is to be a fitter turner, or mechanically minded and have a lathe.

I have read for years on other forums and books what goes into truing/blueprinting an action, it is my intention someday to buy a piece of sh!t remmy, scope it, shoot it, re-work it and shoot it again to see if i can do it, with my own rifle.

If i make a **** of it its my loss and ill have some fun explaining it to get another rifle but sure the only way to learn how to do things like this is to do it, the laws in Ireland just make it that much harder.

Went back over this thread and saw the above. Remove too much metal and you will not be around to give any explanation. :rolleyes:
    Paraphrasing your own words, 'Realistically the only qualification you need to be a F1 driver is to have a competition licence, or be mechanically minded and have a car.' Sorta puts it in perspective, dont ya think?
    P.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Which were made in their heyday in or around 1960's in Birr.Which did bring up the whole legislation of the 1968 proof marking act,specific to the Fenian guns.It fell apare that while we did have a proof house[still do in Dublin Castle somwhere] we never employed a master gun proover[?][ Is there such a word?],and apprently the barrels were UK /Spanish[?]imports.So a proof house became redundant..

Grizz,
    Responsibility for proofing activity in Ireland is now buried somewhere in Enterprise Ireland, never was in the Castle. The guys in CREST (mentioned in my post earlier) would be far more qualified than many in the UK Proof houses, and as seriously qualified metallurgists would be more than capable of signing off on proof. If a maker started up again in Ireland, it would make sense to import barrels, proofed, in the white, - for example, all the Spanish makers today, from AyA to Zabala, outsource barrelmaking.
    Rs
    P
    PS Love the Gun name, Fenian, brings to mind my renegade ggguncle, whiskers and all, described as such in the Freeman's Journal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    More like;
    "We make them right as best as possible as we are selling them to the most litagatious society on planet Earth.However seeing that it is a mechanical device it can be prone to fault or mis construction. I]Especially if it is assembled in a plant somwhere where a mud floor is more common than a concrete one,because the bean counters say it is cheaper to do this[/I.Somthing just might give.So going and blowing them up with over charging mightnt be a good idea either,and isnt going to do much to make them any safer either. Thats why product liability attorneys are very rich in the USA.":D

Do you know the story of the ford edsel then grizz ? When they actually sat down and weighed up the cost of reworking a terrible car against what they'd have to pay out to the families of people who burned to death. Thats why public safety shouldn't be in the hands of private
    interests , including gun barrel proofing.
    Anyway if the op wants an accurate rifle then the money he would spend on the engineering/gunsmithing tools , his own time , electricity etc would buy a decent rifle or action to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Went back over this thread and saw the above. Remove too much metal and you will not be around to give any explanation. :rolleyes:
    Paraphrasing your own words, 'Realistically the only qualification you need to be a F1 driver is to have a competition licence, or be mechanically minded and have a car.' Sorta puts it in perspective, dont ya think?
    P.

Well if your a qualified fitter/turner or a mech eng, and you remove too much metal you deserve what ya get imo, thats what dials and gauges were made for.

The fact of the matter is some people have made custom work out to be voodoo and it quite frankly isn't! Im not saying its baking a cake mind you but its a process with steps and turning is turning, be it internal or external or thread chasing.

If someone did it themselves and wished to sell on the rifle, as long as they had it reproofed in birmingham etc i dont see what the problem is really. Especially if they had got the rifle from an MOA rifle to s sub-moa rifle, although if you did that yourself i dont know why you'd sell it on but thats my opinion.

newby.204 wrote: »
    ......If someone did it themselves and wished to sell on the rifle, as long as they had it reproofed in birmingham etc i dont see what the problem is really.

Does that make sense? Do you really believe that someone who has modified an action would go to the expense of sending it to Birmingham to be reproofed? (Particularly if they were selling the gun AND if they made a pig's michael of it!) You have your answers, not much point in dragging this out.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

There is a difference between a toolmaker, a fitter and a turner.
    I worked in a factory where there were all three trades and all had their own skills.

The highest skilled were the tool makers. (and the highest paid in that factory)
    I did my share of lathe work in my time, and milling.

I would never chance or advise anyone who was not highly skilled to go at an action.
    Especially if you live in Ireland where spare actions are not common if you make a dogs dinner of it.
    If you want accuracy buy a new barrel, what difference the action makes is mimimial in comparison to the Barrel.

Many serious competition shooters out there out shooting Custom actions with Remington actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Does that make sense? Do you really believe that someone who has modified an action would go to the expense of sending it to Birmingham to be reproofed? (Particularly if they were selling the gun AND if they made a pig's michael of it!) You have your answers, not much point in dragging this out.
    P.

to be fair i wasn't looking for opinions, i wasn't even posting the videos to say "hey look, this is what im going to do", i simply posted it for the same reasons the guy who made the video did, to let people see what goes into truing an action.

people then went on to discuss the legalities/practicalities and their scepticism and reluctance to do this type of work themselves, rather to send it to someone "qualified", and then i expressed an interest in doing this myself someday, for my own educational interests really, if i make a bollox of it i make a bollox of it!! I wasn't asking any questions in my OP, therefore i wasn't seeking any answers.......

**Seeing as it has turned into a discussion on the practicalities of custom work what exactly makes the established riflesmiths in ireland qualified to carry out their work exactly?, an rfd licence?, experience?, success?, trial and error? or papers of some degree, as tack said, fitter/turner/tool makers?, mechanical engineers?

**it should be noted before response that this statement is by no means an attack on the established riflesmiths in this country, I am well aware of their quality work and it is simply a matter for discussion

Advertisement