Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle Grinder Problem

• 01-05-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong section, ye can move it if it is.
    To my problem, i want to change the disc on my AG but i cant get the locking nut off, the spanner i have, the pins that fit into the holes on the nut are bent and twisted from trying to open and keeps slipping on me.
    So im stuck at the moment, can i buy a new spanner does anyone know or would someone have ideas for me?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

try a stillson or pipegrips on it,
    all else fails you may get a small chisel or a punch to one of the holes and tap it in the anticlockwise direction to shock it loose.
    not the easiest thing to do as you have to keep the rotation lock on at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Use something like a centre punch and a hammer and tap it off using the punch on one of the holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Probably better to use a big old flat screwdriver and tap it open, probably you will need somebody to hold the lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely tap it off with chisel and hammer..

Also remember that a disc only needs to be hand tight when installing.. If you tighten with the spanner and then use over a period of time you end up as you are now...

Probably not the most useful hint right now..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thanks for the advice, can spanners be bought?, as the one i have is banjaxed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

STIG83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, can spanners be bought?, as the one i have is banjaxed

1) Grip the circular nut in a vice, rotate the angle grinder until you get the lock engaged, then rotate to loosen the nut.

2) Buy a pipe grips which will do the job just as well but is useful for a whole host of other things. As someone has mentioned, you don't need to tighten with a pin key in the first place

3) Use the disc it self to loosen the nut (which is also how you use to tighten the nut without a key). Lock the spindle, grasp the disc with a leather gloved /rag-protected hand, applying an unlocking rotation by pressing the heel of your hand hard against the edge of the disc (hence the glove/rag) and pushing in the unlock direction. The disc tending to turn in turn turns the nut which holds it tight - and comes loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I have an old Angle Grinder with the same problem. Infact I don't have the key at all. What I do is use a small pinch nose pliars, I open this out, place it in two of the holes, then grip it with a vice grips and turn. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I got the locking nut off, a guy near me done it, hammer and a chisel and tapped it loose i can get back to what i was dismantling again :)

Advertisement