Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield Horse Fair

Options
  • 01-05-2011 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Wonder if they're finally Callin a halt to it. Live in Stoneybatter and guards have roads closed around it. Guess if it really is for the horse fair they're goin all out not to let them near Smithfield Market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is it on in the morning? Must have a nose and see what the fuss is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

First Sunday of every month for the last age, they had rights because it was a horsefair there years ago,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It should be up in Grangegorman in my opinion. That is still very central

A market in a square with cobble stones is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just because all access roads are closed off does not mean that the horse fair will not take place. . . .

I'm sure it will be a lot smaller though.

"The road is closed. Please move along."

Way to circumvent an ancient law . . .

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Yes it is on today. It will only be stopped once the government change the law to stop it in its current location. Until then the fair will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Heard on the news that there is a huge garda presence there today and only 6 horses for sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

It is on today.
    Gardai enforsing laws (at last) around public order (drinking), traffic (illegal parking) and animal welfare (horses need to be tagged and passport-ed).

Place is not being destroyed today and you don't feel like your in danger. If it is like this every month I might review my objection to having it in Smithfield n

Are you serious? Most of town used to be cobble stones. Markets are around a lot longer than the paving that is there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Walking home today at half seven and the guards were out early! There were small groups of them at every access point. Seems to be quieter today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Went past Smithfield Plaza about half three, didn't see any sign of the fair.

They'd presumably finished up and moved off at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It should be up in Grangegorman in my opinion. That is still very central

cobblestones are there for the horses hooves to get a good grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A large presence of coppers enforcing laws is like garlic to a vampire for the fine upstanding citizens that the fair attracts

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

cobblestones are there for the horses hooves to get a good grip!

yup, cobble stones are pretty much designed for horses

Advertisement