Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wildfires 2011

Options
  • 01-05-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Knockalla Mountain 30/04/11, as seen from letterkenny area. Milford town in the distance.5674687019_cd8eda17ed.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Just heard was it malicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

still going, kicked off again about 12.00 and looks massive even fron the top of Golan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Massive one around Dungloe as well, couldnt see a thing this morning with the smoke and I'm miles from it

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yeah the 1 in leitirmacawaird is massive it started in doochery and is on the outskirts of dungloe now it travelled some miles, was down lastnight watching it, and to be honest the fire crews we doing nothing they could have easily stopped it from crossing the road, they had hours to dampen areas.

Also i was at the doochery crossroads earlier and people were walking close to the fire and then running from it, tryin to put it out. It really is a sight to see!!!!

Army helicopters have been drafted in to try and bring it under control, black smoke coming from it now which cant be a good sign

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0501/donegal.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Cant see any helicoptors from here, on the phone to a friend there whos watching it, houses on the glenties side of dungloe being evucated now the fires is meters from the houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Same thing every year now. Why are the farmers who start these not locked up and have rte key thrown away?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

thanks for the pic, muckish

Im out of the country, reading about it on the news, and looking for videos and pics.
    can anyone help me out? (rte is all i found so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

a few hours ago I noticed the smoke cloud had traveled as far as Ballybofey, the cloud had covered the whole area in a kind of a haze

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Harps wrote: »
    Army helicopters have been drafted in to try and bring it under control, black smoke coming from it now which cant be a good sign

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0501/donegal.html

Have heard a few helicopters down here this evening (outside donegal town), assume they're heading from Finner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

The forestry around Ballyshannon (The Knather/Cavangarden/Cashelard) is all ablaze. I can see it from my top hill and it's terrifying. A big thank you is due to all the brave men & women out there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

retalivity wrote: »
    thanks for the pic, muckish

Im out of the country, reading about it on the news, and looking for videos and pics.
    can anyone help me out? (rte is all i found so far)

I'll have a few photos to put up in about 1/2 an hour...

We were down near dungloe this afternoon for a run and thought we would take a nosey to see, im still in shock. the fires have burned pretty much everything from Glendowan - dungloe - letermacaward.

there was a real good community feeling out there with seemingly every man and his dog out with shovels ect trying to put it out, but i must say fair play to Tony Kelly (used to own honda / merc in letterkenny) he was out with his helicopter with the bucket under scooping water and dumping it on the fire, kodos to the man, him and the army helicopter were going a long ways towards dealing with the blaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Undercover_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Ayla wrote: »
    The forestry around Ballyshannon (The Knather/Cavangarden/Cashelard) is all ablaze. I can see it from my top hill and it's terrifying. A big thank you is due to all the brave men & women out there tonight.

I saw that tonight and it is indeed a massive blaze. Looks very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Some great pics....hope nobody loses their homes. Those buckets they use to put out the fires are actually made where I am now. (in Vancouver)

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?2011121/crefl1_143.A2011121110500-2011121111000.250m.jpg

A good satellite pic with the fires clearly visible

Its gotten worse here as the day's gone on, visibility was down to a couple of hundred metres by sunset and I'm about 10 miles from the fire. The whole area is just thick with smoke and we can't open windows with the smell

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Same thing every year now. Why are the farmers who start these not locked up and have rte key thrown away?
    I doubt if it's the farmers who are solely responsible for these fires.

It's usually some yobs who have nothing better to do.

Its gotten worse here as the day's gone on, visibility was down to a couple of hundred metres by sunset and I'm about 10 miles from the fire. The whole area is just thick with smoke and we can't open windows with the smell
    I was going in to Letterkenny just before 7 this evening and there was a large amount of smoke coming from somewhere in the general direction of the Ramelton road/Ballyraine area. As I was going up past the fire station there was a tender just on its way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

Its scary how these fires. I hope that there are no casualites. Good link Harps. Mad to see the amount of smoke that the fires are generating. Don't know why but I'm only getting wedding pics on the facebook link.

Here a few of my photos, not the best but they give you an idea of the scale of the thing...

5677111045_aac186ab89_z.jpg

5677113763_e04405d202_z.jpg

5677677720_b728104e47_z.jpg

• Advertisement

5677132901_86a1e3078e_z.jpg

5677709128_0236053e93_z.jpg

5677722158_bfc388fb9e_z.jpg

You can click on the photos themselves to view larger or click here for the full set on flickr. the photos dont really do justice to the scale of the thing and the effort being made to stop it from spreading further, it really is Quite scary, not what o was expecting at all.

There was only one damaged property reported so far in the Dungloe area and that was "just" a shed attached to a house, massive effort being put in around residential areas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

its really frightening, ballyshannon was covered in smoke today just heard tonight that 2 houses are ablaze and more homes have been evacuated, they are appealing for help from the public! i dont know if this is a rumour or not but im hoping its not true! well done to those out fighting to get this fire under control.

5677132901_86a1e3078e_z.jpg

5677709128_0236053e93_z.jpg

5677722158_bfc388fb9e_z.jpg

You can click on the photos themselves to view larger or click here for the full set on flickr. the photos dont really do justice to the scale of the thing and the effort being made to stop it from spreading further, it really is Quite scary, not what o was expecting at all.

There was only one damaged property reported so far in the Dungloe area and that was "just" a shed attached to a house, massive effort being put in around residential areas!

Great pics, particularly like the Man 1 and 2, really shows the task in hand to go at that amount of flames with a shovel! Hopefully the night will calm it and not make it worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great pics, particularly like the Man 1 and 2, really shows the task in hand to go at that amount of flames with a shovel! Hopefully the night will calm it and not make it worse now.

Hopefully. Although efforts are being called off for the night.

Just for clarity I took a screen grab of the relevant part

wild_fires.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Photos of Knockalla taken looking across the Swilly from Inishowen -

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Betsy18 wrote: »
    they are appealing for help from the public!

Has the local authority activated the Civil Defence yet do you know?

There are hundreds of Auxillary Fire Service members available from across the country to help combat gorse fires, but in recent years the authorities seem to be slow in activating them for whatever reason I do not know - they are specifically trained to provide support for the Fire Brigade in these sort of situations.

Has the local authority activated the Civil Defence yet do you know?

There are hundreds of Auxillary Fire Service members available from across the country to help combat gorse fires, but in recent years the authorities seem to be slow in activating them for whatever reason I do not know - they are specifically trained to provide support for the Fire Brigade in these sort of situations.

Someone actually mentioned that today, said they seen every kind of response crew except the civil defense, maybe they were there along with the firemen / in fire gear, because i'll be honest i didn't think there were as many firemen in Donegal as i seen today, and that was on a small area of the fire, and there were other fires too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

muffler wrote: »
    I was going in to Letterkenny just before 7 this evening and there was a large amount of smoke coming from somewhere in the general direction of the Ramelton road/Ballyraine area. As I was going up past the fire station there was a tender just on its way out.
    Yeah. I live near there, couldn't go outside for the smell!

Dont think it was anything to do with the gorse fires tho...

Advertisement