Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wildfires 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Homer, that is a most shocking image! Where exactly was that taken?

Definitely it is brilliant to see whole communities coming together. Although I did hear of a farmer in the Dungloe area refusing access to his land so that fire fighters could reach the fires :mad:
    If true, that farmer shouldn't have any say in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

lulubenny wrote: »
    Just to give you an idea of what its like over in Ardara

Got a bigger pic? Looks bad but its hard to make out anything in that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

byte wrote: »
    If true, that farmer shouldn't have any say in the matter.

They carried on anyway. He should be charged with obstructing the fire fighters in their line of duty.

Just heard a 10 yr old and a 15 yr old were arrested in the North over fires that were started near Omagh http://http://www.u.tv/News/Child-10-arrested-over-gorse-fires/98371e2c-1927-4968-9b63-d38ffa72c6da

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

This is the view from the back of my house looking towards Ardara area about a half an hour ago :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

muckish wrote: »
    I think it's probably in Tyrone, but can anyone cofirm?

It's very possible. There's a massive fire in/around the Gortin area.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Homer, that is a most shocking image! Where exactly was that taken?

About 2 miles out the Dungloe / letterkenny road , R252. just at the 2 bad corners as you go over the wee bridge

About 2 miles out the Dungloe / letterkenny road , R252. just at the 2 bad corners as you go over the wee bridge

Ah right, we came through that way on the way to Dungloe yesterday but the road was closed off with fires at the edge of the road on the way back.

It is absolutely shocking. There is so much wild deer around there

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lulubenny

Fires in the Ardara area have started up again - they had in contained up until midday when the winds just took hold of the fire and its now out of control again. They are spreading really fast from the Tullies and the wind seems to be pushing the fires towards the Loughfad/Ballykilduff areas - a lot of houses out there so hopefully they will get it back under control before it gets that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Taken from the facebook page of an Ardara resident....."I took my small Canon G12 camera with me today as I joined up on 200 people who fought the raging fires at Tullycleave/Tullymore/Sandfield and Kilclooneymore areas in what was the most frightening day the parish has probably ever experienced. These photos are taken in tribute to those who turned out and to the emergency services, Fire Brigade, Army, local Parishioners (and those from neighboring towns)and most importantly, the mighty men with their tractors and water tanks, who helped to save at least 7 homes in the area from ruin. Well done everyone..Maith Sibh.."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

That second picture is scary. How are the fires being dealt with; is it a case of removing dry vegetation from it's path and creating a break and letting the fire services putting them out?
    Very well done to everyone who turned up to do their bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Most fires were brought under control by this morning but it seems a lot have started up again throughout the day, theyre simply going to keep going until it rains. Supposed to rain tomorrow evening so it really cant come soon enough at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Please stay on topic. The ranting & raving forum is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

im a member of the local afs/civil, we were called out on sunday night at half nine to go to dunloe, the fire service were maxed out and getting tired, although i will say we were called out way to late, we were stood down monday morning but as of today thier are new fires in the inishowen area, one of them in the urris hills which according to the local wild life officer the fire is heading directly for a site of an eagles nest, the local chief fire officer woldnt allow him to go up and lift the nest so its safe to say the chicks fate is sealed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 me85

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Same thing every year now. Why are the farmers who start these not locked up and have rte key thrown away?

Sorry but who the h**l decided that farmers started these. There are so many farmers (my brothers included) out there with slurry tankers full of water, putting their lives at risk protecting their family's homes and the homes of others. How dare u write that crap up here. Farmers value their land and their homes and the homes of others. Who knows who did this except that they are scum who dont value human life. Dont go tarring brave hard working people with your opinions. Maybe you'd like to go out and join them, help out a little instead of insulting those who are. Mods I hope youve warned this poster

Glenman wrote: »
    Taken from the facebook page of an Ardara resident....."I took my small Canon G12 camera with me today as I joined up on 200 people who fought the raging fires at Tullycleave/Tullymore/Sandfield and Kilclooneymore areas in what was the most frightening day the parish has probably ever experienced. These photos are taken in tribute to those who turned out and to the emergency services, Fire Brigade, Army, local Parishioners (and those from neighboring towns)and most importantly, the mighty men with their tractors and water tanks, who helped to save at least 7 homes in the area from ruin. Well done everyone..Maith Sibh.."

Well done you are recognising the bravery of others, unlike some very ignorant posters on here.

They carried on anyway. He should be charged with obstructing the fire fighters in their line of duty.

Just heard a 10 yr old and a 15 yr old were arrested in the North over fires that were started near Omagh http://http://www.u.tv/News/Child-10-arrested-over-gorse-fires/98371e2c-1927-4968-9b63-d38ffa72c6da
    Oh so not farmers then????? Just some delinquents with no value for human life whose parents must be absolutely woeful to have instilled absolutely no morals in them.Some posters may need to eat their posts. Whoever has done this needs severe punishment from the law, and if its young people maybe we should ask ourselves just what has happened to society and the family unit????

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Heres 2 videos I recorded on my phone while fighting fires out in Tullybeg, Ardara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

me85 wrote: »
    There are so many farmers (my brothers included) out there with slurry tankers full of water, putting their lives at risk protecting their family's homes and the homes of others.

You're absolutely right, there are many very brave men & women out there doing anything possible to keep the fires from harming anyone or anything.

There are many possible causes for the fires, and although I'm reluctant to even care who's responsible, at some point something needs to be done to prevent future problems from arising. Whether that means greater regulation on brush/rubbish fires (done by farmers and residential home owners alike), or controlled fires to prevent uncontrolled outbreaks. It's a fact of life here that people burn stuff, and in conditions like this it's ridiculously easy for it to get out of hand.

Instead of pointing fingers & getting mad, what's needed now is to plan for future years and the possibility that this may happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

me85 wrote: »
    Mods I hope youve warned this poster
    Try to avoid the back seat modding and be careful with your own posts.

Read the forum charter please before you post again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Back down in Sligo, plenty of rain falling here. Hopefully some there as well and damping things down.

Well done to all involved trying to keep things under control, not just in Donegal but all over.

We had a good drop of rain this evening so hopefully that has dampened the ground sufficiently so that no other fires will be lit. It was great to see the fire engines parked up in the station this evening. It's been a long few days for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Visitor2011

I've just looked at the wildfire pics on the Ardara website. Shocking but amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

This is a quote from Highland Radio news yesterday suggesting that some of the fires may have been started by farmers:
    Posted: 5/May 15:57
    Last Updated: 5/May 15:59

The Friends of the Enviroment has suggested that farmers, allbeit not intentionally, may have been responsible for starting some of the gorse fires which raged across Donegal in recent days.

The group says their is an economic incentive encouraging farmers to burn scrub land so as to maximise their income under the Single Payments Scheme.

Only ‘utilisable areas’ of land are eligible for payment with the Friends of the Enviroment claiming this is leading to farmers burning off scrub and that some of these fires went out of control.

Tony Lowes is a spokesperson for Friends of the Irish Environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Glenman wrote: »

Pic 2 is at the back of a neighbour of mines house, few of us nearly got caught in the smoke around that time, scary times, from Sunday to Tuesday evening i never went to bed slept in the jeep an hour here and there, came from the Tullyard forest to near my house passing the in laws house and ending up at me ma's house 4#5 miles away at a shocking pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

rightyabe wrote: »
    Heres 2 videos I recorded on my phone while fighting fires out in Tullybeg, Ardara.

Hmmm 'Francis' by any chance........

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

its very sad about all the wildlife lost in these fires , i heard alot of Red Deer were lost in the forests round glenties and ardara they tried to get out of the forests but with so many people round the forests trying to put out the fire the deer just ran back in again and then got trapped

its very sad about all the wildlife lost in these fires , i heard alot of Red Deer were lost in the forests round glenties and ardara they tried to get out of the forests but with so many people round the forests trying to put out the fire the deer just ran back in again and then got trapped

Would you rather they were hunted?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Penfailed wrote: »
    Would you rather they were hunted?

Lets just not go there, attack the post not the poster, no more warnings for anyone. The topic is wildfires 2011 lets keep to that please.

• Advertisement

Lets just not go there, attack the post not the poster, no more warnings for anyone. The topic is wildfires 2011 lets keep to that please.

Apologies. I made the mistake of linking the username to the content of the post and finding it a bit ironic :D

The rain this past few days has put paid to any likely outbreaks of wildfires for at least a few weeks. Knockalla and Urris are blackened landscapes. It'll be quite a few years before they return to the way they were. I can still make out the area scorched by a wildfire on another section of the Urris hills about eight or nine years ago. There's no evidence of any ash or charred remains but it's all new growth rather than old weathered gorse/heather. The cycle of life.

Advertisement