Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you become a vegetarian?

• 01-05-2011 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

So meat really is essential in our diet? I will admit there is lots of variety but does one need to eat meat to be healthy. Well as a newbie vegetarian I avoid meat at all costs however chicken was hard to give up but I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    So whats your opinion on this? Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian? 325 votes

No way I like meat way too much
    0% 0 votes
    I like meat but would consider it
    66% 216 votes
    I am vegetarian
    18% 59 votes
    I will never eat meat again
    15% 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, I'd eat people if the animals ran out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I considered it before because I like animals too. Then I realised I like them because they are delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Danbo! wrote: »
    I considered it before because I like animals too. Then I realised I like them because they are delicious.

Ha KFC yum pity:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I just don't really care about the welfare of a snackbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

If they made animals so they wouldn't taste good anymore then I would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Never in a million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I enjoy my beef, pork and chicken but if it was banned in the morning I wouldn't mourn it too much.

I could eat spuds and veg every day of the week. Shame they're such a pain to prepare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

purity wrote: »
    Well as a semi vegetarian I avoid meat at all costs however chicken is hard to give up but I'm on my way to becoming a full vegetarian because I like animals.

You are a semi vegetarian? Stop kidding yourself. You eat meat so you are not a vegetarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Id say there has been a lot of "meat and 2 veg" in ya alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Nope. I couldn't give up bacon and sausages. And increasingly, salami. Or steak. Or fried chicken.. Or chicken curries. Or burgers. The odd bit of lamb is nice. The drunken chicken pakora kebab! Taco mince chip. Good old ham sandwich.

Er.. No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Vegetarianism is relatively easy. Unfortunately i lack the conviction to go Vegan.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You are a semi vegetarian? Stop kidding yourself. You eat meat so you are not a vegetarian.

Well yes I am really:D and I'm not kidding myself why would I joke to myself you don't know me or what I am so you really have no opinion on me.
    I DON'T EAT MEAT and have given up chicken of recent so I think that makes one vegetarian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The thought of never eating meat again fills me horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Vegetarion??? God no i enjoy watching some fine swedish lesbians but i could never become one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Where else am i gonna get my protein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No, I'd eat people if the animals ran out.

I love the way the signature of the poster underneath you is: Could you surviuve a zombie apocalypse?!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd consider it if e.g. I had a girlfriend who knew how to do it safely. I'd be concerned about malnutrition, missing essential vitamins etc. I don't trust my nutritional expertise on this topic: I'd be going against thousands of years of evolutionary adaptation, so it could go very wrong. She would also need to be the kind of vegetarian who would not freak out if I decided I wanted a steak on rare (?) occasions. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Don't really like meat, only eat chicken every now and then so it wouldnt be a big step for me to go veggie :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, I love my half-pounders too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Haven't eaten meat since 1987:eek: Thats probably longer than you young bucks and buckesses have been around!

• Advertisement

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Don't really like meat, only eat chicken every now and then so it wouldnt be a big step for me to go veggie :)

Ya I had given up red meat years ago but found chicken hard not because I like the taste but going out for dinner was really hard because the veggie options were awful but now I have cut chicken out well this year and am doing well,

Haven't eaten meat since 1987:eek: Thats probably longer than you young bucks and buckesses have been around!

Wow well done and how has your health been? does meat need to be part of a diet to be healthy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

No, human beings are the only animals who've signed the social contract, so everything else is fair game on the being killed and eaten front.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

I made a boo boo there what I meant was I'm off red meat years and only gave up chicken this year seeing as I'm only off it two months I called myself semi but now I realise I must be a vegetarian because I don't eat any meat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Wow well done and how has your health been? does meat need to be part of a diet to be healthy

No need for meat IMO - never felt under the weather, never really been sick, never felt like I was hungry after a meal - just normal really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Ya I had given up red meat years ago but found chicken hard not because I like the taste but going out for dinner was really hard because the veggie options were awful but now I have cut chicken out well this year and am doing well,

Yeah same here, the veggie options are always the same. I also find it difficult to get enough protein so I tend to make myself eat chicken...I find I can only eat it when it’s smothered in some sort of sauce or breaded.

No need for meat IMO - never felt under the weather, never really been sick, never felt like I was hungry after a meal - just normal really!

That's good news for me as it's something I've wanted to do as I love animals I am a vegetarian now after years of consideration and hope it doesn't go against me but seeing as your healthy after 24 years it must be a good thing:)

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Yeah same here, the veggie options are always the same. I also find it difficult to get enough protein so I tend to make myself eat chicken...I find I can only eat it when it’s smothered in some sort of sauce or breaded.

They think automatically that vegetarians= salad that seems to be the only option for vegetarians and notice how many popular food chains don't cater for vegetarians.
    I get protein from eggs and peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's good news for me as it's something I've wanted to do as I love animals I am a vegetarian now after years of consideration and hope it doesn't go against me but seeing as your healthy after 24 years it must be a good thing:)

Someone who's been at it 24 years probably isn't going to admit that they have been unhealthy though are they? Everyone is different and vegetarianism won't suit everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

No. I find the majority of vegetarians are stupid. They dont eat meat because they "love animals" but are happy to wear leather and eat products containing gelatin.

It is human nature to eat meat. Our brains grew to the size they are because of meat protein. We dont have a developed ceacum and therefore are not built to digest large amounts of vegetable protein.

Life is a cyle. There is no life without death and no death without life. If an animal has its needs met during its life and is slaughtered humanley then im happy to eat it.

rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I think you can be healthy without meat (very healthy in fact but not any healthier) but I would never become a vegetarian as there are no legitimate arguments for it as long as you are ethical in your sourcing of meat, which I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

it's something I've wanted to do as I love animals I am a vegetarian now after years of consideration

Do you wear leather? I love meeting vegetarians who proclaim themselves as such while wearing leather shoes - peeling animals is ok, but eating the insides is a big no no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I made a boo boo there what I meant was I'm off red meat years and only gave up chicken this year seeing as I'm only off it two months I called myself semi but now I realise I must be a vegetarian because I don't eat any meat now.

what is your cholesterol level? Not poking fun - I've heard that many vegetarians and vegans suffer from high cholesterol.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do you wear leather? I love meeting vegetarians who proclaim themselves as such while wearing leather shoes - peeling animals is ok, but eating the insides is a big no no!

And what of the question of consuming the the nucleus of their (animals) unborn, eg an egg?

LK_Dave wrote: »
    what is your cholesterol level? Not poking fun - I've heard that many vegetarians and vegans suffer from high cholesterol.

Cholesterol is hereditary not diet related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Lettuce and blowjob day doesn't really have the same ring to it as Steak and blowjob day.

So, no. I wouldn't consider becoming a vegetarian.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Cholesterol is hereditary not diet related

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that hereditary is not the only factor in high cholesterol levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Well as a newbie vegetarian I avoid meat at all costs however chicken was hard to give up but I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    So whats your opinion on this?

I love animals too. Tastey delicious animals. Seriously we're meant to eat meat.its natural.no more to it.

No I actually hate leather the smell and look of it makes me sick. I will admit I eat jellies but have cut them down massively as they're made of gelatin. Look I'm not an in your face vegetarian I have only practised it for the first time this year cutting out all meat and seeked advice from people. Some vegetarians are silly but I'm not an extreme I just hope the animals are treated with dignity and killed humanely as many videos online will show you that unfortunately the people performing the slaughter have no compassion for the animals and they die in immense pain.
    I like animals simple as:)

And what of the question of consuming the the nucleus of their (animals) unborn, eg an egg?

An egg is general not an unborn chicken - it is unfertilised

• Advertisement

Good question must get it checked;) Haven't a clue all I know is my iron and proteins levels are normal

An egg is general not an unborn chicken - it is unfertilised

Ok, point taken and well put but it is still the nucleus of the unfertilized animal.

No I actually hate leather the smell and look of it makes me sick. I will admit I eat jellies but have cut them down massively as they're made of gelatin. Look I'm not an in your face vegetarian I have only practised it for the first time this year cutting out all meat and seeked advice from people. Some vegetarians are silly but I'm not an extreme I just hope the animals are treated with dignity and killed humanely as many videos online will show you that unfortunately the people performing the slaughter have no compassion for the animals and they die in immense pain.
    I like animals simple as:)

Just out of interest have you managed to avoid buying leather shoes then!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I would die without a regular supply of beef and chicken.

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that hereditary is not the only factor in high cholesterol levels.
    Because of the propaganda, you can be forgiven for thinking that cholesterol is a harmful alien substance that should be avoided at all costs. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. Cholesterol is an essential component in the body. It is found in all the cells of the body, particularly in the brain and nerve cells. Body cells are continually dying and new ones being made. Cholesterol is a major building block from which cell walls are made. Cholesterol is also used to make a number of other important substances: hormones (including the sex hormones), bile acids and, in conjunction with sunlight on the skin, vitamin D 3 . The body uses large quantities of cholesterol every day and the substance is so important that, with the exception of brain cells, every body cell has the ability to make it.

Cholesterol may be ingested in animal products, but less than twenty percent of your body's cholesterol needs will be supplied in this way. Your body then makes up the difference. If you eat less cholesterol, your body merely compensates by making more. Although the media and food companies still warn against cholesterol in diet, it has been repeatedly demonstrated that the level of cholesterol in your blood is affected very little by the amount of cholesterol you eat.

Cant find the actual paper right now but with a quick google I was able to find this brief summary although admittedly I have no idea what this website is really about http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cholesterol_myth_1.html

Just out of interest have you managed to avoid buying leather shoes then!?

Yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Eating dead animals is the highlight of my day

Good question must get it checked;) Haven't a clue all I know is my iron and proteins levels are normal

When you do get it checked could you let us know how it reads - normal, above, below? Would be interested to hear real facts rather than those banded about by both sides of the debate.

When you do get it checked could you let us know how it reads - normal, above, below? Would be interested to hear real facts rather than those banded about by both sides of the debate.

I guess so but never heard of cholesterol problems linked to vegetarianism? But I'd be happy to let ya know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    Sure we all like animals :rolleyes: not enough of a reason to become a veggie though! I'd never stop eating meat, firstly because it's the tastiest stuff going, and I'd imagine it'd lead to some awkward moments visiting family/friends when they go to the bother of doing a lovely roast etc. and you wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion anyway.
    13spanner

• Advertisement
Advertisement