Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you become a vegetarian?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

13spanner wrote: »
    purity wrote: »
    I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    Sure we all like animals :rolleyes: not enough of a reason to become a veggie though! I'd never stop eating meat, firstly because it's the tastiest stuff going, and I'd imagine it'd lead to some awkward moments visiting family/friends when they go to the bother of doing a lovely roast etc. and you wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion anyway.
    13spanner

It's difficult at times as vegetarians are a minority and most eat meat. It was tasty especially country style sausages and white pudding but I don't miss them, my diet is boring and basic and sometimes I wonder am I receiving enough nutrients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Irishchick wrote: »
    No. I find the majority of vegetarians are stupid. They dont eat meat because they "love animals" but are happy to wear leather and eat products containing gelatin.

I'm not a vegetarian myself, but that's quite the statement!
    Irishchick wrote:
    If an animal has its needs met during its life and is slaughtered humanley then im happy to eat it.

Agree with you on that one. It's when things like the following happen that put me off my meat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

It's difficult at times as vegetarians are a minority and most eat meat. It was tasty especially country style sausages and white pudding but I don't miss them, my diet is boring and basic and sometimes I wonder am I receiving enough nutrients.

All because of some misguided view of morality

This isn't a dress rehearsal, food is one of lifes great pleasures and forcing yourself to have a boring diet is absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just a thought - what sort of death do you think animals will have if we stop farming and eating them? Is it the method of their death, or the quality of their lives which matters? Just something I've always thought about when considering vegetarianism...

Priori wrote: »

Agree with you on that one. It's when things like the following happen that put me off my meat..

has there been any documentaries like that on cruelty in the Irish meat industry? people forget that most of those films are made on different continents and the practices here are extremely humane and ethical and by opting out of the meat industry in this country you are actually harming the people who go to the effort of not treating the animals like they do in those videos while having absolutely zero impact on the people who do treat them like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Cant find the actual paper right now but with a quick google I was able to find this brief summary although admittedly I have no idea what this website is really about http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cholesterol_myth_1.html

I understand that cholesterol plays a very important function in the body and we need to ingest/consume x amount daily to maintain a healthy body and mind. But I'm still not convinced that excess cholesterol is solely down to your genes. Look at the phenomenon kids who reach obesity in before their teens. Many are the children of perfectly healthy parents who have no family history of cholesterol but the children are reading off the charts.
    I only scanned through the linked document, I have stated before I’m not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind so I stand to be corrected, but the references for this article would worry me. Knowledge has moved on a bit since then.

References:
    J W Gofman, et al. The role of lipids and lipoproteins in atherosclerosis . Science. 1950; 111: 166.
    J P Strong, H C McGill jr. The natural history of coronary atherosclerosis. Am J Pathol. 1962; 40: 37.
    W F Enos, R H Holmes, J Beyer. Coronary disease among United States soldiers killed in action in Korea. Preliminary report. JAMA 1953; 152: 1090.

All because of some misguided view of morality

This isn't a dress rehearsal, food is one of lifes great pleasures and forcing yourself to have a boring diet is absolutely ridiculous

Point taken yes I chose vegetarian diet and now I face consequences but I feel better in myself being one. I meant my diet is bland in regards to fancy cuisine most contain meat but I opt for quorn which is tasty and a substitute for meat. I can eat veg and fruit and dairy as a vegan diet is ludicrous to me

Darkginger wrote: »
    Just a thought - what sort of death do you think animals will have if we stop farming and eating them? Is it the method of their death, or the quality of their lives which matters? Just something I've always thought about when considering vegetarianism...

There is no natural predator to kill the farm animals thankfully so they'd die with age however the quality of their live is short and sad and their diet consists of grass and hay whereas in the states their fed corn so really it's a boring life. The method of their death under european law is that the animal is stunned and then bled to death.
    However in other countries the animal is killed horrifically and some meat is imported.

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I understand that cholesterol plays a very important function in the body and we need to ingest/consume x amount daily to maintain a healthy body and mind. But I'm still not convinced that excess cholesterol is solely down to your genes.

it isn't solely diet can make around a 20% difference
    Look at the phenomenon kids who reach obesity in before their teens. Many are the children of perfectly healthy parents who have no family history of cholesterol but the children are reading off the charts.

cholesterol and obesity are two completely separate things though, my father for example is pretty much exactly in the right weight region for his height and if anything would be considered skinny, yet he has high cholesterol.
    I only scanned through the linked document, I have stated before I’m not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind so I stand to be corrected, but the references for this article would worry me. Knowledge has moved on a bit since then.

References:
    J W Gofman, et al. The role of lipids and lipoproteins in atherosclerosis . Science. 1950; 111: 166.
    J P Strong, H C McGill jr. The natural history of coronary atherosclerosis. Am J Pathol. 1962; 40: 37.
    W F Enos, R H Holmes, J Beyer. Coronary disease among United States soldiers killed in action in Korea. Preliminary report. JAMA 1953; 152: 1090.

Yep I agree thats why I said I am not sure about that website but the summary I quoted is roughly the exact same conclusion that I had read from much more recent studies but I cant find them from a google. I am not having a go at you or anything I am just saying that the science says otherwise.

• Advertisement

There is no natural predator to kill the farm animals thankfully so they'd die with age

emm no they wouldn't, the second they do not become economicly viable to the farmers they would be killed and the land used for crops. thinking that the farmers will pay for the animals upkeep and maintenance if they could not sell them is exceptionally naieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Darkginger wrote: »

Well if everybody went vegetarian then we would have to convert almost all of the grassland to arable crops. Especially in Ireland where most of the natural habitats are hedgerows, we would end up wiping out a lot of the wildlife.

Domesticated animals should be able to go feral and survive, but obviously only in very limited numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

it isn't solely diet can make around a 20% difference

cholesterol and obesity are two completely separate things though, my father for example is pretty much exactly in the right weight region for his height and if anything would be considered skinny, yet he has high cholesterol.

Yep I agree thats why I said I am not sure about that website but the summary I quoted is roughly the exact same conclusion that I had read from much more recent studies but I cant find them from a google. I am not having a go at you or anything I am just saying that the science says otherwise.

No worries I respect your argument/views but I don't buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

has there been any documentaries like that on cruelty in the Irish meat industry? people forget that most of those films are made on different continents and the practices here are extremely humane and ethical and by opting out of the meat industry in this country you are actually harming the people who go to the effort of not treating the animals like they do in those videos while having absolutely zero impact on the people who do treat them like that

I've often wondered about this myself. I'm a meat eater who's trying to cut down on meat (largely for environmental/sustainability reasons - oh, and budgetary reasons too) and I think many vegetarians sometimes hinder the cause by citing the ravages of the meat industry citing, usually, large-scale industrial 'farms' found in the US. I don't live in the countryside but relatives of mine are farmers and, from what I see of their work, the animals *seem* to lead contented lives.
    By the way, OP, what's with bemoaning your 'boring' diet? You need to head on over to the Vegetarian forum for a few recipe ideas...

I've often wondered about this myself. I'm a meat eater who's trying to cut down on meat (largely for environmental/sustainability reasons - oh, and budgetary reasons too) and I think many vegetarians sometimes hinder the cause by citing the ravages of the meat industry citing, usually, large-scale industrial 'farms' found in the US. I don't live in the countryside but relatives of mine are farmers and, from what I see of their work, the animals *seem* to lead contented lives.
    By the way, OP, what's with bemoaning your 'boring' diet? You need to head on over to the Vegetarian forum for a few recipe ideas...

Well not really boring I make a nice quorn tikka masala:D
    I meant compared to a meat eater it's boring as many famous food chains don't cater to a vegetarian as well as they would to a meat eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I was a vegetarian for a few years but have been eating meat again for the past 4 years or so. I would like to go back to not eating meat but I've got too used to it now and don't think I could go without it!

That said, I don't eat it everyday and I still have a soft spot for quorn products and the like, especially the sausages :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've been a vegetarian for about four years. I had made another attempt to become a vegetarian about ten years ago but I missed Southern fried chicken. After seeing a few programmes about how chickens are treated I find it easier not to eat it now.

I'd like to be a vegan but soya milk is disgusting. Also I eat Quorn which contains milk and eggs.

Have you tried Quorn Chicken Style burgers? They taste a lot like real chicken burgers. You can also get Quorn Chicken Style Pieces which you can cook with a jar of curry sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I'm setting myself a challenge, to see if I can go without meat for a week. Not so much for ethical reasons, just to see if I have the willpower.

But would it be cheating to eat fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No way!

I like to chomp down on beef burrito

EmilyO wrote: »
    I'm setting myself a challenge, to see if I can go without meat for a week. Not so much for ethical reasons, just to see if I have the willpower.

But would it be cheating to eat fish?

No I think you can eat fish but you'd be classified as a different type of vegetarian. I hate fish wish I could eat it as it's so healthy:(

I've been a vegetarian for about four years. I had made another attempt to become a vegetarian about ten years ago but I missed Southern fried chicken. After seeing a few programmes about how chickens are treated I find it easier not to eat it now.

I'd like to be a vegan but soya milk is disgusting. Also I eat Quorn which contains milk and eggs.

Have you tried Quorn Chicken Style burgers? They taste a lot like real chicken burgers. You can also get Quorn Chicken Style Pieces which you can cook with a jar of curry sauce.

I loved southern fried chicken:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

So meat really is essential in our diet? I will admit there is lots of variety but does one need to eat meat to be healthy. Well as a newbie vegetarian I avoid meat at all costs however chicken was hard to give up but I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    So whats your opinion on this? Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Became one about 3 years ago, I had always meant to but never could keep it up for more than a few months. Then I met my now husband, who had been vegetarian for several decades, and after moving in together I gradually stopped eating meat. I never cooked it at home, since I always cooked for both of us. And I eventually stopped eating it at restaurants, since I realised that this was the place where the quality of the meat and the concern about the animal's welfare while alive probably wasn't really considered that much.

I can't say I'm missing it. I did in the begining, badly sometimes. But these days, the thought of it can occasionally make me feel rather sick, tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I couldnt be a vegetarian.
    My brother did it for awhile because the girl he was seeing at the time was vegan, so he decided to meet halfway and go veggie, so I attempted it with him. I lasted 4 days. I am an animal lover, but no. Just no.

No I think you can eat fish but you'd be classified as a different type of vegetarian. I hate fish wish I could eat it as it's so healthy:(

If you eat fish but not other meat you're a pescetarian.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Became one about 3 years ago, I had always meant to but never could keep it up for more than a few months. Then I met my now husband, who had been vegetarian for several decades, and after moving in together I gradually stopped eating meat. I never cooked it at home, since I always cooked for both of us. And I eventually stopped eating it at restaurants, since I realised that this was the place where the quality of the meat and the concern about the animal's welfare while alive probably wasn't really considered that much.

I can't say I'm missing it. I did in the begining, badly sometimes. But these days, the thought of it can occasionally make me feel rather sick, tbh...

True it helps if your partner is a vegetarian too, Restaurants buy the cheapest meat so I'd hate to think how they animal met it's fate before making it's way to the table.
    I found it hard as my family and friends ate meat and going to kfc and burgerking was impossible as the vegetarian options were bad they all should cater for vegetarians there is a good market for them

I loved it too but unfortunately chickens are among the most badly treated animals, especially where fast food is concerned. I saw a programme where they squeezed chicks to get the faeces out of them and then threw them in a bin. There was a man doing this to hundreds of chicks and it didn't bother him in the slightest.

True it helps if your partner is a vegetarian too, Restaurants buy the cheapest meat so I'd hate to think how they animal met it's fate before making it's way to the table.
    I found it hard as my family and friends ate meat and going to kfc and burgerking was impossible as the vegetarian options were bad they all should cater for vegetarians there is a good market for them

I know what you mean, the times I had tried before, the biggest reason why I failed to keep it up was because I was still living at home, and my mother will actually eat meat 3 times a day. It's difficult finding out about vegetarian cooking in those surroundings.
    I have to say that as I started thinking about how and what to cook, I came up with fantastic recipes and ideas. The problem I think most people have when trying to live as vegetarian is that they simply try to leave meat out of meals. And as a result they of course start missing it badly. The trick, I find, is to do meals that where never designed to have meat in them. So nothing is missing, and you still enjoy eating.

I do find it kind of sad that fast food places simply don't cater for vegetarians. It would be easy enough to put a falafel kebab on the menu in Abrakebabra, or some sort of quorn burger in KFC or McD. Burgerking does a veggie burger, but I have to say I don't like them.
    Thank goodness there's SubWays, they're veggie patties are fantastic :D

I loved it too but unfortunately chickens are among the most badly treated animals, especially where fast food is concerned. I saw a programme where they squeezed chicks to get the faeces out of them and then threw them in a bin. There was a man doing this to hundreds of chicks and it didn't bother him in the slightest.

Sick b**tard really..how don't they have guilt or feelings towards the animals and I also saw a video where the chicks were put into a mincer whilst still alive. People who that sort of thing are inhuman and absolutely horrific.

I know what you mean, the times I had tried before, the biggest reason why I failed to keep it up was because I was still living at home, and my mother will actually eat meat 3 times a day. It's difficult finding out about vegetarian cooking in those surroundings.
    I have to say that as I started thinking about how and what to cook, I came up with fantastic recipes and ideas. The problem I think most people have when trying to live as vegetarian is that they simply try to leave meat out of meals. And as a result they of course start missing it badly. The trick, I find, is to do meals that where never designed to have meat in them. So nothing is missing, and you still enjoy eating.

I do find it kind of sad that fast food places simply don't cater for vegetarians. It would be easy enough to put a falafel kebab on the menu in Abrakebabra, or some sort of quorn burger in KFC or McD. Burgerking does a veggie burger, but I have to say I don't like them.
    Thank goodness there's SubWays, they're veggie patties are fantastic :D

I agree the bk veggie burgers are rotten tried them before. Why in this day and age are the vegetarians still a minority? Money is to be made big time in facilitating a menu for vegetarians quorn is delicious.
    Never tried the veggie pate in sub way? It's meant to be calorific ha imagine something healthy yet so fattening.
    I like the veggie Mcdonald wraps tasty..
    I have absolutely zero friends that are vegetarian so it's going to be a struggle however I plan to progress and carry out a vegetarian diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was a vegetarian for 2 years (from age 19 to 21) - my diet is healthier with meat in it tbh. I still enjoy good vegetarian food though.

I agree the bk veggie burgers are rotten tried them before. Why in this day and age are the vegetarians still a minority? Money is to be made big time in facilitating a menu for vegetarians quorn is delicious.
    Never tried the veggie pate in sub way? It's meant to be calorific ha imagine something healthy yet so fattening.
    I like the veggie Mcdonald wraps tasty..
    I have absolutely zero friends that are vegetarian so it's going to be a struggle however I plan to progress and carry out a vegetarian diet

I think the best kind of advise I can give you is to cook as much as you can. Don't go for ready-made meals, but try to cook most of what you eat yourself.
    It's easiest to start off with curries and stir-fries, there are tons of recipes out there. Pasta with different kinds of veg sauces is good as well.
    The more things you find you like without meat, the less you'll miss it.

• Advertisement

I was a veggie for a year but I love meat too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I'm not a veggie, but I eat meat very rarely.

Save the planet and all that.

Try this :

Take button mushrooms, remove the stems.
    Mix some flour with salt, pepper and if you like it spicey, a little chili, put it on a deep plate
    Take an egg, scramble it in a second deep plate, and add a little milk
    Put breadcrumbs in the third deep plate.

Heat oil in a frying pan, make sure it's hot but not too hot by dropping a drop of egg in it, it should fry but not turn dark too fast.

Cover the mushrooms in the flour mixture, then turn them in the eggs, then in the breadcrumbs.
    Fry them until golden brown.

They'll be a little like garlic mushrooms, but a bit more like Southern Fried Chicken ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was a veggie for a year but I love meat too much

Thats what she...

Oh never mind

Try this :

Take button mushrooms, remove the stems.
    Mix some flour with salt, pepper and if you like it spicey, a little chili, put it on a deep plate
    Take an egg, scramble it in a second deep plate, and add a little milk
    Put breadcrumbs in the third deep plate.

Heat oil in a frying pan, make sure it's hot but not too hot by dropping a drop of egg in it, it should fry but not turn dark too fast.

Cover the mushrooms in the flour mixture, then turn them in the eggs, then in the breadcrumbs.
    Fry them until golden brown.

They'll be a little like garlic mushrooms, but a bit more like Southern Fried Chicken ;)

Thanks will try not the best cook but I will try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Priori wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian myself, but that's quite the statement!

And thats why everyone should know where their meat comes from. The meat I eat comes from the farmer who lives across the road from my partner and is slaughtered at the local slaughter house to which I have been to and know they slaughter the animals humanley.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spunge wrote: »
    Where else am i gonna get my protein
    Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Lettuce and blowjob day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

The meat I eat comes from the farmer who lives across the road from my partner and is slaughtered at the local slaughter house to which I have been to and know they slaughter the animals humanley.

How can you be so sure that they slaughter all their animals humanely? For all you know the minute no-one is around they do whatever they want :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No. I find the majority of vegetarians are stupid. They dont eat meat because they "love animals" but are happy to wear leather and eat products containing gelatin.
    there are many reasons not to eat meat besides it being trendy or "love animals"

Take that logic further and I'd have to ask how you can sleep at night when you could save lives by donating to charity or by being politcally active against the many injustices in this world.

It is human nature to eat meat.
    for much of history meat was a rare delicacy for most people, in general only the rich and powerful had it on a daily basis. look at the spice trade to see how expensive meat was, if meat was cheap there wouldn't be as much interest in hiding the taste of tainted meat.
    Our brains grew to the size they are because of meat protein.
    link please , I guessing that essential oils were just as important if not more

also have a look at the demand for salt in the past another meat preservative, compare it to demand from vegetarian tribes in amazon / india
    We dont have a developed ceacum and therefore are not built to digest large amounts of vegetable protein.
    how about high energy stuff like fruit / seeds / nuts instead of stuff that takes longer to digest like green vegetables

Life is a cyle. There is no life without death and no death without life.
    life isn't a cycle , the Permian extinction wiped out 98% of terresterial vertebrate species - very close to game over
    it's only a cycle in the short term or if you look at the atoms involved and off topic at present man made processes are bigger than natural ones in the Nitrogen cycle

yes you can have death without life eg: falling into a Volcano :eek:
    and there are immortal jellyfish :D

If an animal has its needs met during its life and is slaughtered humanley then im happy to eat it.

rant over.
    have a read of Fast Food Nation sometime, ;)
    IIRC in the UK Chickens housed in a windowless warehouse with the equilivant space of an A4 sheet of paper each are considered free range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I thought about it before but I'm terribly anemic and need lots of iron. I do eat meat but not a lot of red meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Been a veggie for about six years now, first couple of months was the worst and found myself craving really awful meat products such as cheap burgers. (?!) It's fine really and taking a bit of time to think about your diet means that you don't have to be deficiant in nutrients. Same goes for people who eat meat.

For those that saying that eating meat is unnatural, the issue really isn't the eating of it, but the rearing of animals in squalid condiitons. There is nothing natural about a chicken that spends the one year of its life pulling out its own feathers, being s**t on by other chickens, unable to stand because it's forced to feed 23 hours a day and it has no leg muscles, and potentially being cannibalised by other chickens.

And that's just your eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sister was vegetarian for about 15 years until she got a kebab with meat in it on holidays...she couldn't believe what she was missing and wasn't long dropping her morals then :D
    I think over the next 6 months she ate more meat in that time than me in about 5 years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Spunge wrote: »
    Where else am i gonna get my protein

Google it. We break down protein to get amino acids which can be sourced directly from various non-meat foods.

Try meat substitutes first. Quorn was originally brought out as a health food but adopted by vegetarians. High in protein,high in fibre but low in in saturated fat.

You.are.full.of.****.
    Someone who's been at it 24 years probably isn't going to admit that they have been unhealthy though are they? Everyone is different and vegetarianism won't suit everyone.

If you consume all the daily nutrient requirements, then yes it is. Because of globalisation meat based diets have become notoriously unhealthy.
    I think you can be healthy without meat (very healthy in fact but not any healthier) but I would never become a vegetarian as there are no legitimate arguments for it as long as you are ethical in your sourcing of meat, which I am.

You can be healthier. A healthy vegetarian diet is healthier than your average meat based diet. And there are legitimate arguments. 'Ethical sourcing' is subjective. Picking your favourite form of killing...kinda like picking your favourite nazi.
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I would die without a regular supply of beef and chicken.

Only if you were stupid enough not to replace the nutrion you get from them.

Just take a look at professional athletes who are vegan or vegetarian. There are UFC fighters, weight lifters, body builders, runners, swimmers etc. If you want links i'd be happy to provide them,but i'm in college and the connection is slow.

Eating meat is a choice. Meat based and non-meat based diets can be healthy or unhealthy. With meat based diets there are alot of things we must break down to get the nutrients we require. With non-meat based diets we generally consumer the nutrients in more direct way.

Meat was often the most accessible way of consuming a high number of calories and certain nutrients in previous times. this is not the case now. It now an ethical/enviornmental choice.

Having said that, we are socially conditioned to eat meat (this thread is proof). Therefore I never bring up beign a vegetarian to friends who are not. It's not my concern what they eat. But meat eaters love to come up with the same set of 'arguments' that they got anecdotally from someone else and then cannot reply to my argument....

God this thread is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

vegetarians are an odd breed , in my experience people either become vegetarians from birth if their parents were, start it in their teens to rebel against their parents or a lot of women do it as an excuse to eat less, there are people who are vegetarians for ethical reasons but i find they are very often ill informed mostly by the utter lies and propoganda that organisations like peta manufacture for shock value.

there are 3 types of vegetarian

1. the person who doesnt eat meat, thats it, they just dont eat meat and go quietly about their day

2. the person who doesnt eat meat and wont cook you meat or allow meat in their house and insists on going to veggie resteraunts or kicking up a fuss asking if animal fat is used to cook etc....

3. the person who judges you for eating meat, complains, tells you your a bad person and uses lies and propoganda to force their opinion on you , usually these people have really low self esteem and hate themselves so try to adhere to stereotypes to fit in.

in my view no.1 is acceptable and I would keep aquaintences like this, i choose to keep my distance from 2 and 3 , if i cant I piss them off as much as possible. basically the only acceptable vegetarian is the one you dont know is a veggy till after a few meals of seeing what they eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Meat is too good to give up.
    Agree with the post above, avoid type 2 and 3.

• Advertisement

vegetarians are an odd breed , in my experience people either become vegetarians from birth if their parents were, start it in their teens to rebel against their parents or a lot of women do it as an excuse to eat less, there are people who are vegetarians for ethical reasons but i find they are very often ill informed mostly by the utter lies and propoganda that organisations like peta manufacture for shock value.

there are 3 types of vegetarian

1. the person who doesnt eat meat, thats it, they just dont eat meat and go quietly about their day

2. the person who doesnt eat meat and wont cook you meat or allow meat in their house and insists on going to veggie resteraunts or kicking up a fuss asking if animal fat is used to cook etc....

3. the person who judges you for eating meat, complains, tells you your a bad person and uses lies and propoganda to force their opinion on you , usually these people have really low self esteem and hate themselves so try to adhere to stereotypes to fit in.

in my view no.1 is acceptable and I would keep aquaintences like this, i choose to keep my distance from 2 and 3 , if i cant I piss them off as much as possible

Meat eaters are an odd breed , in my experience people either become meat eaters from birth if their parents were. There are those who point blank refuse to try anything other than meat and two veg and think eating the most meat makes you some how more manly. there are people who are meat eaters who say they are ethical but i find they are very often ill informed mostly by the utter lies and propoganda that the media and food companys conjure up.

there are 3 types of meat eaters

1. the person who eats meat, thats it, they just eat meat and go quietly about their day

2. the person who eats meat and wont cook anything without meat or allow others to quietly not eat meat in their house and insists on going to avoiding veggie resteraunts or kicking up a fuss asking if served a dish without meat etc....

3. the person who judges you for not eating meat, complains, tells you your a hippy and uses lies and propoganda to force their opinion on you , usually these people have really low self esteem and hate themselves so try to adhere to stereotypes to fit in.

in my view no.1 is acceptable and I would keep aquaintences like this, i choose to keep my distance from 2 and 3 , if i cant I piss them off as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BickNarry wrote: »
    Meat eaters are an odd breed , in my experience people either become meat eaters from birth if their parents were. There are those who point blank refuse to try anything other than meat and two veg and think eating the most meat makes you some how more manly. there are people who are meat eaters who say they are ethical but i find they are very often ill informed mostly by the utter lies and propoganda that the media and food companys conjure up.

there are 3 types of meat eaters

1. the person who eats meat, thats it, they just eat meat and go quietly about their day

2. the person who eats meat and wont cook anything without meat or allow others to quietly not eat meat in their house and insists on going to avoiding veggie resteraunts or kicking up a fuss asking if served a dish without meat etc....

3. the person who judges you for not eating meat, complains, tells you your a hippy and uses lies and propoganda to force their opinion on you , usually these people have really low self esteem and hate themselves so try to adhere to stereotypes to fit in.

in my view no.1 is acceptable and I would keep aquaintences like this, i choose to keep my distance from 2 and 3 , if i cant I piss them off as much as possible.

atleast I treat all food equally , your a food racist :D
    2. the person who eats meat and wont cook anything without meat or allow others to quietly not eat meat in their house
    i have never met anyone like this ?
    uses lies and propoganda to force their opinion on you , usually these people have really low self esteem and hate themselves so try to adhere to stereotypes to fit in.
    im sure the vast majority of the world are all upset and listen to lies from an industry as old as civilisation itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no way on earth. i love meat too much

atleast I treat all food equally , your a food racist :D

Yeah....that's a fairly **** joke.
    i have never met anyone like this ?

You just don't get it.....
    im sure the vast majority of the world are all upset and listen to lies from an industry as old as civilisation itself

I'm not even going to bother.

First point: If animals aren't meant to be eaten, why are they made out of meat?
    Second point: Vegetarians are laughing in the face of every starving person in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement