Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you become a vegetarian?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if everyone in the world became a vegetarian tomorrow farmers would go out of business and all the cattle sheep chicken etc etc would probably end up just being culled so there'd be none left anywhere...

isn't that worse OP??? you'd have no cows or chickens to like anymore because they'd all be gone...

as for just letting them roam free with I'm sure some one will metion - well farmers aren't going to let cattle and sheep wander round their land when they start growing crops to maintain a living for themselves are they...

kind of ironic isn't it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Who ever invented the pig should have statues of them in every city and town in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BickNarry wrote: »
    Yeah....that's a fairly **** joke.

You just don't get it.....

I'm not even going to bother.

no , i think you dont get it , if you dont eat meat you dont eat meat, all youve done is argue with everyone saying they dont need to eat meat, ive never said what i do or what other people should do , if you reffer to my earlier post i believe you are a type 3 vegetarian ,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I stopped eating meat at the end of February, and was surprised at how easy it was. I don't particularly miss it, I've just replaced meat with nuts in stir-fries and that sort of thing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Second point: Vegetarians are laughing in the face of every starving person in the world.

I don't really get the point you're making here. How is it laughing in their faces that I have chosen to not eat meat? I'm simply eating other things instead. I am in a position where I am able to make such choices, and in fact being a vegetarian is in many ways a more ethical choice because it uses less resources.

Fishie wrote: »
    I don't really get the point you're making here. How is it laughing in their faces that I have chosen to not eat meat? I'm simply eating other things instead. I am in a position where I am able to make such choices, and in fact being a vegetarian is in many ways a more ethical choice because it uses less resources.
    Yea, I guess I just feel bad for all the people dying of no food while other people have the choice to not eat meat... It was probably if not definitely too harsh a statement I made in the first place.

Fishie wrote: »

crop spraying
    gm crops
    monsanto seeds
    fertilizers
    pesticides

you are mad if you think that being a vegetarian is more ethical , atleast i dont have to pump a pig full of chemicals to keep it alive or keep it the right colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

I nearly did after watching this, horrific stuff

http://youtu.be/iBbYUdvGWk0

manlad wrote: »
    warning : Below is a link to a video that is based on practises not legal or common inside the EU and has a vendetta against the meat industry from the start, believing the contents of this video to be factual may indicate larger problems in your life than what your eating.

http://youtu.be/iBbYUdvGWk0

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I didn't vote coz there's no vegan option.

Tbh I hate the veggie/meat eater debate. The constant questions and then "but then why are animals made out of meat hur hur hur" type replies :rolleyes: just a waste of time for myself and the person asking.

It's like the atheist and christian (or any religion) debate. It's what people are born into/grew up with and is therefore carried out without question (not by all).
    Some people question these ingrained behaviours and make changes, some people question them and find they are happy the way they are.

If someone wants to eat meat then, although I don't agree with it, it's their choice. Arguing about who's right or wrong gets everyone precisely: nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Had some fantastic steak today.Tonight, bringing wife and kids to the cinema, it'll be either kebabs or KFC afterwards. I'm not going to apologise to anyone because to us, they taste so bloody good. I won't preach to non meat eaters that they should eat it, but i won't take crap from anyone who tries to preach to me that i should give it up.:)

This thread is making me hungry,think ill get a large meat feast pizza tonight :)

This thread is making me hungry,think ill get a large meat feast pizza tonight :)

Your user name sounds so beautiful.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

I tried it before, but later had a realisation that everything that is part of a biosphere lives off of everything else. bacteria live off of me, even a house-cat would if I gave it the chance by dying in front of it. My body will be recycled into the ecosystem when I am dead; it's even being recycled while I'm living.

I live off of cows and chickens and smoked rashers (wherever they come from, heaven i think). I try to buy meat that is free range because I like the idea that the cow/chicken had a decent life before it died and wasn't abused (I feel the abuse and disrespect of nature is demeans us all), I would like to see slaughter methods change (e.g. using a mixture of nitrogen and other inert gasses to induce hypoxia which is much less distressing to the animal), I choose not to eat too much fish because I believe we are destroying the sea by overfishing it.

However, fish is food, deer is food, antelope is food, cows are food, wolves and lions see these things as food, why is it wrong that we see them as food? it's how we've evolved, we evolved from meat eating relatives of the dinosaurs, to insectivorous animals that lived in the trees into omnivorous apelike creatures and then into humans and a whole host of intermediate forms; all the whilst living off of every other species and every other species living off of us when it had the chance.

It's what we are. it's not "nice" but what is? Also if you think of it from a different perspective, by farming the food you're eating, and being a vegetarian, you've wiped out tonnes of forest, destroyed large groups of animals habitats, in transporting the food you've killed a load of animals. how many poor badgers, rabbits, hedgehogs and foxes are killed on the road every day just by using cars, you may not have done it but you still use the car without guilt.

I love animals, but if we didn't eat cows, other animals would, not only would they, they would have to in order to keep the ecosystem in equilibrium. I still believe that all animals have a place in this world and all species the right to survive and evolve. At the end of the day, I think that we should be stewards and caretakers of the natural world, rather than having dominion over it, but I also recognise that we are part of the natural world.

TL;DR being vegetarian just doesn't make sense to me.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Your user name sounds so beautiful.:)

And I will be getting loads of it on the pizza :D

Chese gives me migranes, so i usually remove it, or order one with little or none on it. I usually add meat of some sort and chillies to it. Rashers are a fantastic addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Mmm, am partial to the Meat Madness myself by Goodfellas, but only when it's been reduced to €3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

no , i think you dont get it , if you dont eat meat you dont eat meat, all youve done is argue with everyone saying they dont need to eat meat, ive never said what i do or what other people should do , if you reffer to my earlier post i believe you are a type 3 vegetarian ,

I'm a 'type 3 vegetarian'. Where is your research paper on vegetarians that classes them.....or are you talking ****?

I was applying your post about classing vegetarians based on one's you have 'met' to meat eaters. And you recognised the theory was absurd. Because it is.

As I already said I don;t enter into debates about my diet unless someone berrates me about it, or starts sprouting nonsense like in this thread.
    First point: If animals aren't meant to be eaten, why are they made out of meat?

O.k, lets follow the premise of your argument

''If pedophilia is wrong then why are children so sexy?"

Basically, that's a 'ooh ohh he he, i'm being clever'.

You're not.
    Second point: Vegetarians are laughing in the face of every starving person in the world.

Sooo,my choice not to eat meat...means..that.....what exactly?
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    if everyone in the world became a vegetarian tomorrow farmers would go out of business and all the cattle sheep chicken etc etc would probably end up just being culled so there'd be none left anywhere...

isn't that worse OP??? you'd have no cows or chickens to like anymore because they'd all be gone...

as for just letting them roam free with I'm sure some one will metion - well farmers aren't going to let cattle and sheep wander round their land when they start growing crops to maintain a living for themselves are they...

kind of ironic isn't it...

We have created the meat industry, which is unatural. The world is never going to magically become vegetarian so it's not even worth worrying about what would happen. If vegetarianism was to become more prominent then supply and demand would change. The meat market would react to elss people buying and therefore reduce the amount of animals they are forcing to reproduce. Would not happen over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

purity wrote: »
    So meat really is essential in our diet? I will admit there is lots of variety but does one need to eat meat to be healthy.
    Of course not.
    Well as a newbie vegetarian I avoid meat at all costs however chicken was hard to give up but I'm now full vegetarian because I like animals.
    By not eating our prey you are in essence dooming the species that we eat to extinction. They're completely domesticated and dependant on us eating them, it's never a good idea to eliminate the top predator from any environment not least the planets top predator. Eating cows is good for their species as can be shown by their numbers worldwide. Not eating them means they have no place in any ecosystem and will go the way of the dodo.
    So whats your opinion on this? Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?
    No I wouldn't I love animals, in every sense of the word and I accept my place in nature.

• Advertisement

We have created the meat industry, which is unatural.
    We didn't create the meat industry, the horrific abuse of animals by some people is unnatural, but it's not unnatural to protect a food source. we already ate meat before we began farming, we simply figured out that if we protected our animals by farming them, we could get more meat, and as happens that we trade food in this form of civilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We didn't create the meat industry, the horrific abuse of animals by some people is unnatural, but it's not unnatural to protect a food source. we already ate meat before we began farming, we simply figured out that if we protected our animals by farming them, we could get more meat, and as happens that we trade food in this form of civilisation.
    Plus people seem to think humans are some magical fairy placed on earth to live above nature. We're not, we are just as much a part of nature as any other living creature nothing we do is unnatural we are nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

ScumLord wrote: »
    Plus people seem to think humans are some magical fairy placed on earth to live above nature. We're not, we are just as much a part of nature as any other living creature nothing we do is unnatural we are nature.

To be honest I hate the word "natural" when used in the context of food and diet but I'll play along for the sake of this argument. Whether eating meat is natural or not in this day and age, torturing chickens by cutting their legs off, snapping their beaks, boiling them alive while often still conscious to de-feather them, cutting their throats, breaking their wings (all to deal with the overcrowding issue), overfeeding them so they cant even move, etc. - so they can be sold for €3 instead of €4 , cannot be argued to be correct in a civilized society.
    By not eating our prey you are in essence dooming the species that we eat to extinction. They're completely domesticated and dependant on us eating them, it's never a good idea to eliminate the top predator from any environment not least the planets top predator. Eating cows is good for their species as can be shown by their numbers worldwide. Not eating them means they have no place in any ecosystem and will go the way of the dodo.

That's complete nonsense anyway, having a species entirely dependent on another is actually ridiculous and most certainly does not aid their survival. We have screwed up species like cows and dogs so that if anything happens to humans, those species are also finished. How can you even argue something so ridiculous? Which species have better chance of survival now - wild lions, coyotes, ants, etc or the family dog?

And what's funny about your dodo comment is one of the reasons for their extinction was the mass-slaughtering of them for meat consumption by humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shelbourneTID

No Way is aoibhinn liom feoil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I can't remember the last day I went without meat. Can't see it happening, sorry :pac:

g_moriarty wrote: »
    To be honest I hate the word "natural" when used in the context of food and diet but I'll play along for the sake of this argument. Whether eating meat is natural or not in this day and age, torturing chickens by cutting their legs off, snapping their beaks, boiling them alive while often still conscious to de-feather them, cutting their throats, breaking their wings (all to deal with the overcrowding issue), overfeeding them so they cant even move, etc. - so they can be sold for €3 instead of €4 , cannot be argued to be correct in a civilized society.
    Yes, as horrific as that all is (and I agree that it is by the way) I was talking about protecting animals for food your own benefit. there are certain ants and termites that farm and protect fungus, there are also ants that farm and protect aphids, there are birds that farm and protect parasitic insects that live off of trees. they have done this for much longer than we have farmed food.

OK, lets take a look at animals that abuse other animals? take the friendly dolphin as an example, they are commonly known to kill porpoises for what seems like fun because a lot of the time they aren't even in direct competition for food and they are not being killed for food. Whales, eagles and other predatory animals Maim their prey to allow their young to practice on them?

I am not saying that the abuse of animals is excusable, but it certainly seems part of the natural world to me and I don't understand how you don't like to use the word natural to describe something that continuously happens in nature (that as scumlord pointed out we are all a part of)
    That's complete nonsense anyway, having a species entirely dependent on another is actually ridiculous and most certainly does not aid their survival. We have screwed up species like cows and dogs so that if anything happens to humans, those species are also finished. How can you even argue something so ridiculous? Which species have better chance of survival now - wild lions, coyotes, ants, etc or the family dog?

And what's funny about your dodo comment is one of the reasons for their extinction was the mass-slaughtering of them for meat consumption by humans.
    We are all dependent on fungus and bacteria. pick a plant species, you are dependent on it in some way. we are all interdependent. Cows would get along just fine as a species, perhaps some breeds of cow would die off, evolution would go right back to the way it was. with nothing to protect a cow it's herd mentality kicks in anyway.

And Actually a lot of evidence suggests that dogs as a species evolved along side humans, they scavenged and perhaps even hunted beside us by choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I eat very little meat anyway because I don't really like it but I probably will become a vegetarian for health reasons more than any love of fuzzy animals in the future.
    Most vegetarians annoy the **** out of me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I went through a veggie phase when I was like 15. Turned out I was allergic to quorn :p So that ended my phase. and the fact the Europeans don't understand the concept very much. I went to France every summer for 3 weeks. Ended up eating raw vegetables and cheese pizzas every time we went out for dinner. Not pleasant.

BUT, I dont agree with the animal cruelty in the farms. Its too horrific to watch. But as everyone says to me, the animals are gonna be killed either way. Not much we can do about it. So may as well eat the food being produced. I just wish they did it in a less horrible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think to be honest the whole vegetarian thing could be put to better use by creating new farming methods (like Temple Grandin, who isn't a vegetarian but invented all these amazing techniques for cattle ranches) as opposed to a rather insignificant boycott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

I'd rather eat meat than some processed quorn protein sh1te made from fungus

vetstu wrote: »
    Quorn sausages and breaded chicken pieces are pretty nice actually. the sausages are nicer than normal sausages i think, and i'm a meat eater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I don't think many people agree with this sort of thing... but there's lots of free range chickens and such that you can buy instead... get onto your local politician if you have worries about a certain abattoir's method's of killing animals... I can't say for certain but I'd imagine and hope that there's laws in place regarding humane killing of animals in Ireland so just buy Irish food.. if these laws aren't in place well then focus your energy on trying to get politicians and people aware to the inhuman way animals are killed

then at least you'd actually be helping the animals rather than just letting the torturing go ahead..

but from my experience most farmers in Ireland treat their animals well as it is but of course there's always going to be a few cúnts around as in any business... so if the animals are humanly killed I don't see why people are worried about animal cruelty at all

luckily we dont live in the US or china then. The EU has pretty good H&S standards to do with food and this is not how its really done in europe, the quality of meat in the US is terrible because of their methods of factory farming and killing, the controls are a lot stricter over here and done in ways far kinder to the animal

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I have been a vegetarian since the age of 6, when I discovered what meat actually was, and have no intention of turning back now. :D I used to crave bacon and a few other things, but now the thought of eating any animal just makes me sick tbh. I feel strongly that it's wrong to eat animals and treat them cruelly (I wouldn't eat in KFC if you paid me), but I don't generally shove my views down other peoples' throats unless they're being ignorant or c**tish about vegetarianism. :P

Violafy wrote: »
    I have been a vegetarian since the age of 6, when I discovered what meat actually was, and have no intention of turning back now. :DI used to crave bacon and a few other things, but now the thought of eating any animal just makes me sick tbh. I feel strongly that it's wrong to eat animals and treat them cruelly (I wouldn't eat in KFC if you paid me), but I don't generally shove my views down other peoples' throats unless they're being ignorant or c**tish about vegetarianism. :P

I feel for you I really do.

No need - I'm perfectly happy with my quorn bacon now (you should really try it...), and not even your username would tempt me. :p

they dont know what theyre missing out on

they dont know what theyre missing out on

That is absolutely revolting. I actually can't believe I watched that. Never have I been gladder not to eat meat. I've just died a little inside tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If ya were not meant to eat animals then why do they taste like meat??

scudzilla wrote: »

Well done

EDIT: I wish sarcasm came across in text

scudzilla wrote: »

What a profound insight.

• Advertisement

That is absolutely orgasmic. I actually can't believe I watched that without fapping. Never have I been sadder not to eat meat. I've just jizzed my pants.

good, im glad you liked it

The thread is about whether or not you'd consider vegetarianism. Yes or No with a little insight as to why or why not is the reply. No one gives a fuck what you and Mr Bacon are having for your dinner or how much you love meat.

Troll much

How hilarious and original. :p All of that meat has probably done something to your brain. *cooks quorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

You can be healthier. A healthy vegetarian diet is healthier than your average meat based diet. And there are legitimate arguments. 'Ethical sourcing' is subjective. Picking your favourite form of killing...kinda like picking your favourite nazi.

1. I was thinking of a hypothetical situation were two identical individuals were given separate diets, one the perfect omnivore diet and one the perfect vegetarian diet. i do not believe either one would be healthier.

2.Of course ethical sourcing is subjective, ethics and morals are subjective and inevitably change and evolve over time even though people like to believe that they are set in stone and anyone who thinks differently to them is unethical and immoral. i can't remember the exact quote but it goes something like this 'to be an ethical person one must simply act as if their every action has a consequence'. I believe killing animals for food in a humane way is totally fine, I know it has consequences, the animal dies if you don't think that is ok that is fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I live by what Maddox said:

"For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three"

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=bsitu_speciesism

Beat that, Vegetarians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vetstu wrote: »
    you'd be suprised how much fake meat there is these days

you'd be suprised how much fake meat there is these days

Correct. Most sausages are probably less than 50% meat, not to mention rubbish like chicken nuggets and whatever comes out of McDonalds.

Naikon wrote: »
    I live by what Maddox said:

"For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three"

Beat that, Vegetarians.

Have fun with your high cholesterol, obesity and future heart problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The great thing about life you see, is that nothing is certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

such utter ****e from both sides, the veggies do seem to be easier to wind up though

Advertisement