Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunger pangs - obey or not?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am 11 wks pregnant and I reckon I am eating properly but I seem to be plagued by hunger pangs at any time of the day and night. Am I supposed to eat every time this happens or is it OK to ignore once in a while?
    I don't want to deny the baby food but on the other hand by eating every time I feel hunger I think I am just training my body to get into the habit of wanting more and more. Is anyone in the same boat or can anyone advise here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I'd quite often have a glass of milk when I had a hunger pain, especially in the middle of the night. It'll be great if and when you start getting heartburn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Your baby is not the one sending the hunger pains. Your body is, in reaction to all the calories it's burning in building a baby.

Your baby needs very little in the way of calories/food at this point - I seem to remember reading that preg woman only needs an additional 200 calories per day to sustain the extra effort & "mouth."

Eat when you want, don't feel guilty when you don't. It's most important *what* you eat, not when/how often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I agree with the other two.

Also, your brain can't differentiate between "hungry" and "thirsty" signals, so it could be that you need fluids and not food. Make sure you drink plenty of water (I second milk at night, helps with insomnia and heartburn) and see if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Naineen

tell me about it - 11 weeks (almost 12) as well, and eating everything that's in sight and not hiding quick enough...

I figure as long as it's relatively healthy, it's ok (I eat loads of fruit and veg at the moment, we're talking kilograms of grapes n apples...). As long as it's not tons of cr*p food, I'd say you're alright ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

It not good to starve yourself any way let alone while your pregnant, you dont want to faint now. Snack when you need to and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I'm at 8 weeks and I'm the same. But I'm finding I'm only eating little bits, but more often. On average I would say I eat at least once an hour. But again, it's mostly fruit (weird food aversions - I no longer like crap food...). I make sure and eat a good breakfast, lunch and dinner (without overdoing on bread and stuff) so I think I'm ok. And when I get hungry, I get really hungry and I absolutly have to eat. So I'm not fighting it. And considering I'm eating less at lunch and dinner than before I'm not going to panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Naineen wrote: »
    tell me about it - 11 weeks (almost 12) as well, and eating everything that's in sight and not hiding quick enough...

I figure as long as it's relatively healthy, it's ok (I eat loads of fruit and veg at the moment, we're talking kilograms of grapes n apples...). As long as it's not tons of cr*p food, I'd say you're alright ;-)

Sorry to intrude in an area I certainly don't belong in! But I just wanted to mention something quickly here. A relative of mine craved grapes during her pregnancy, but they are very high in natural sugars, she ended up being diagnosed with gestational diabetes and the doctor said the grapes would have been a big factor in that. Now she was eating LOTS of them, but as people think of fruit as healthy (it is but has lots of natural sugar) they wouldn't consider that you can overdo it on the fruit.

*skulks back out of Parenting* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

As fatr as i know u oy need an axtra 2-300 cals per day when ypur pregnant so all thst stuff about eating for two is rubbish! I mean i would just eat when your hungry but for example you have just eaten your dinner and are full afterwards, but half an hour later you feel hungry again, you should know your not actually hungry as ypu just had your main meal so eat a healthy snack like fruit or some tortilla chips and salsa - which is very low in calories. also try drinking something when you get hunger pangs, milk or juice. Drink plenty of water too. And dnt think your denyinhg your baby food if you dont have a big meal every time u feel hungry. Eat breakfast,lunch and dinner and themn healthy snacks. or Maybe even eating smaller meals more regurlarly would better satisfy ypur appetite right now? It will amount to the same as 3mrals, but say have 6 and just divide them up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

An extra 200 calories is about all you need, and it's not going to harm your baby if you don't eat every time you feel hungry. When you have morning sickness or can't eat due to indigestion or heartburn, baby gets the best of what you have.
    Drink more as sometimes hunger pangs can be dehydration. And your kidney's will thank you . . :D
    Mostly dizziness is caused by the growth of the uterus pressing on blood vessels that restrict blood flow to the brain. You should lie down and rest if this happens. ( http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week-19.aspx )

Fruit is high in sugar but not as high as a chocolate bar :D i crave fruit at the moment but it doesn't fill me.. so i resist sometimes and have a piece of toast or a few crackers. . As long as you're not going hours and hours without food you should be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Naineen

@Spadina: can't thank you yet, havent got enough posts...

anyway, of course, you're right - but as cbyrd said, better natural sugars from fruit than refined/processed sugars from chocolate bars and other sweeties. I guess as long as it's all in moderation (my kilos were slightly exaggreated ;-)) it's all good. (that said, I started a funny craving for sour sweets - fizzy cola bottles, sour snakes and the likes...dear oh dear...:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi again,
    some really good advice here, thanks a million :)

Advertisement