Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lease conditions

Options
  • 01-05-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm moving into a new house there fairly soon and have received the contract. Seems like a fairly standard cut and paste one and i am happy with all the conditions and the landlord seems totally trustworthy & sound out but i just wanted to query a few of them as its so long since i leased a place.

1) The tenant agrees to insure under seperate cover all tenants property and tenants liability to the public - this is detailed further down the contract as follows:
    The tenant shall put in place and maintain full and adaqute insurance in respect of all the tenants property on or in the premises and all persons in the premises with the tenants consent and shall indemnify the landlord from all claims whatsoever in respect of loss, damage or injury to such property or persons

I understand the bit about my contents but what's this about liability to the public? I probably wouldnt bother insuring my stuff as theres nothing too expensive there.

2)In the last month of the tenancy i allow the landlord to show prospective tenants the property with prior arrangement.

Is this normal?

3)Tenant shall be responsible to maintain, service and repair any machine, article or instrument the property of the landlord of which he has use during the tenancy, except in the case of fair wear and tear.

So if the washing machine goes tits up does that mean i have to fix it or would that fall under wear and tear

Thanks guys for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

1. It's basically that you are responsible if your property injurs someone- for example if you keep a potted plant on the balcony and it falls down and hits someone.

2. Yes. The minimum is that they give you 24 hours notice, and it has to be at your convenience- ie you can refuse a showing. Most people give a couple of hours a week (say, Tuesday evening 6-7.30pm and Saturday 2-3pm), so the landlord can schedule easily and the tenant knows when the flat has to be presentable.

3. That seems unusual, unless something is clearly your fault- ie washing machine breaks because you put coins in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

It's is normal to allow the LL to show the property towards the end of the lease however it should be done at times that suit you. Legally you can refuse but if the LL has been decent and is willing to only show the property at times you allow then there shouldn't be any issues.

If the washing dies due to a fault with the machine then its the LL job to fix/replace it but if it dies due to the tenant breaking it like say overloading it then it's the tenants job to pay for repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

silja wrote: »
    1. It's basically that you are responsible if your property injurs someone- for example if you keep a potted plant on the balcony and it falls down and hits someone.
    From my reading it also makes you responsible if a visitor gets injured and it's not your fault -- for example if the flat has faulty wiring, the landlord doesn't fix it, and a guest gets an electric shock, this lease makes it so that you are the one who is responsible. Hardly fair, I wouldn't sign this.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Ok so

1) insurance - do you get public liability insurance with just a contents only policy? Presumably this would cover the things mentioned at the tope of the post. Anyone recommend a good place - as i say its not really the contents i need cover for - more just the public liability

2) viewing - thats grand so obviously a normal stipulation

3) Damage to washing machines etc - ill prob just put in the disclaimer that if the damage is due to my misuse then its my liability otherwise it's not

Advertisement