Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawnmower, oil in the air filter!

Options
  • 01-05-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I have a small basic lawnmower, briggs and stratton engine, The lawnmower has started spluttering and running badly, I opened the air filter and there was a lot of oil clogging it up, I rinsed it with petrol, allowed it to dry and put it back in. The mower ran fine for the first minute, but went back to the spluttering again. This mower is 3 years old, and cuts a very small lawn ( 3/4 of a box of grass)

Why would there be oil in the air filter, and is there any DIY quick fix for this, other than going for a service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

If you tilt it the wrong way ie with the filter facing down, the engine oil will flow into the filter and cylinder area so only tilt with the filter up or just tilt it by pressing down on the part of the handle that you hold when using the mower, that the spark plug is facing up in the sky.Try to do this and leave for a while, then clean the filter again and put it back on the ground. Leave for 30 sec and check the oil again.You might have to remove the plug and spin the engine aswell as clean the plug ad try again.

P.S I bet when it does run there is smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

jimmyw wrote: »
    If you tilt it the wrong way ie with the filter facing down, the engine oil will flow into the filter and cylinder area so only tilt with the filter up or just tilt it by pressing down on the part of the handle that you hold when using the mower, that the spark plug is facing up in the sky.Try to do this and leave for a while, then clean the filter again and put it back on the ground. Leave for 30 sec and check the oil again.You might have to remove the plug and spin the engine aswell as clean the plug ad try again.

P.S I bet when it does run there is smoke?

Ya, there was a few puffs of black smoke alright, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Maybe check the oil level. if the oil has been overfilled it will work its way up the crankcase breather and get into the filter and also cause it to splutter. Giving it an oil change also will do no harm. Also if its only rarely used the carburetor could be gummed up with stale petrol causing bad running.

Blue smoke = burning oil, check level,
    Black smoke = fuel problem, clean and reset carburettor

Now i know this isnt very helpful, but the biggest mistake you made here is buying a mower with a briggs + stratton motor. Never had any pleasure with these, they are pure crap. A Honda is your only man. If theres anything serious wrong with it its hardly worth even fixing it. A cheap crappy Woddies bought mower will cost you much more in the long run between repairs and frustration. A quality mower on the other hand is only expensive on the day you buy it, it is an investment and will last a lifetime with only basic maintenance.

Advertisement