Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Enda going to do for us

Options
  • 01-05-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Not much so far, I thought at least a the Westport to Bohola Dual carriage way would be announced by now. There should be stuff for Mayo coming very soon hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Not much so far, I thought at least a the Westport to Bohola Dual carriage way would be announced by now. There should be stuff for Mayo coming very soon hopefully.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Yeah he should have that dual carriage way built by now, he is after all in power TWO months now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

And that particular piece of dual carriage way really is a national priority!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I think Enda is too busy sorting out the bankrupt mess that our country has become thanks to fianna fail,than to be worried about parish pump politic's!!Its PPP that helped to mess up Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Jeez give him a chance to get started.

Westport Bohola should be on his agenda = not necessarily a dual carriageway but same standard as other parts of N5. Like wise Ballaghadereen - Strokestown portion to be done.

These are not parish pump issues as someone claimed here but are vital for growth of tourism and delivery of exports from West - ask any of the multi-nationals in the County.

FG got a huge vote in Mayo in response to the Mayo Taoiseach campaign. Expectations are high, and delivery expected.

Blaming the other crowd won't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Early doors yet......I like his style and his freshness. Has a strong cut of honesty, though can't assess this as haven't seen him wheeling and dealing with the unions, civil servants, interest groups etc. Having said that he always had a credibility issue regarding substance and putting it up to people. He showed some steel handling internal FG strife though the headlines and insight on him meeting the chief justice and declaring that he won't be cutting civil/public servants pay may stretch things a bit far.

I like the shake up in the HSE and the board walking....augurs well. Need to revisit this after the first 100 days in and then see what exactly FG/LAB has done. Locally, the cuts by MCC of 150 people signals change is afoot but the spat between Ger Deere and Ringer on the Imperial Hotel still points to the strength of the parish pump.

Can't wait for the announcement on the Strokestown to Ballaghadereen road........that for me is the test!

Inda was at the Women's mini marathon today in C'bar and said cupla focail at the start. Courteous and engaging and the sunshine helped too.

Can anyone see FF build locally agin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Patience is a virtue.

Plenty to sort out before any new roads announced, would be better interest in getting some jobs in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Lests be realistic. Westport - Bohola not gonna happen. That was shelved 2 years ago when N26 was shot down by ABP. It's nolonger on NRA plans.

A revised a Westport - Castlebar scheme is planned (and justified by numbers and safety on that that section) and financed for the coming year (design/planning). But virtually no major road projects going ahead next year, even priority projects like M17 look dead as the nations credit rating has scuppered the PPPs.

We'd be better aiming at some smaller more affordable projects that can make a real difference to the county and have a real chance of getting built in the near them, as the type of money needed for major new offline highway projects is nolonger there while IMF control our finances.

Only hope is that some funding is set aside for infrastructure as part of a new national stimulus plan and some N5/N17 projects can be justified on poor quality access to the West/North West, safety and tourism grounds. As a previous post pointed out sections like Ballaghaderreen - Strokestown are the main problem on N5 and that along with Longford bypass would be some progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Any sign of us all getting medical cards at least?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you fall into the following you could be entitled to a card, otherwise they are not going to give them out free, which they shouldn't do anyway.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

It's not what Enda can do for us,

It's what we can do for Enda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ffs he is the Prime Minister of the country, not Mayo's representaive at court. Talk about ignorant parochial nonsense in this thread. This country is ****ed rightly if the opinions in this thread are representative. Mayo for Sam!

1. \coillte Bhoy, in this country we have Taoisugh, not Prime Ministers.

2. Mayo gave a huge vote to Enda and FG, returning four TDs.

3. As Tipp O'Neill said, all politics are local. We do expect some investment in Mayo, especially in improved roads, braodband etc.
    This is not parochialism, simply balanced regional development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Whats Enda going to do for us?

Fuck All.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

nuac wrote: »

2. Mayo gave a huge vote to Enda and FG, returning four TDs.

Right so thats how thois country should be governed, investment etc to the constituencies that have the biggest Govt support.:rolleyes:

Looks like Johnno is our sugar daddy and not Inda!

Mayo Fine Gael TD John O’Mahony has said Mayo will get a boost, and better roads, after the Government gave the go-ahead for labour intensive road upgrade works in the multi-million Jobs Initiative announced by the Fine Gael-Labour Coalition Government.

“This is great news for Mayo. The Jobs Initiative will allow a number of key road repairs to be carried out, and will create jobs in the process. “I’m very happy to confirm that an extra €3,491,276 for Mayo roads bringing this year’s allocation to € 12,259,016 has been allocated to the projects in Mayo.

“These projects can go ahead because the Government has committed €75 million nationally to ‘shovel-ready’ transport projects to start this year. Much of the funding will be used to repair roads which were badly damaged in the last two severe winters. And a significant portion will also go to smarter travel projects.

“Because this is brand new funding which has been re-allocated from elsewhere in the Department of Transport, these will be brand new jobs which otherwise would not have been created. “Each road project will also benefit communities and create further spin-off jobs. It’s a win-win situation. “This Jobs Initiative shows that this Government means what it says when it comes to job creation.”

http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/mayo-politics/item/2809-extra-%E2%82%AC34-million-for-mayo-roads-in-jobs-drive.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dr.pol

Oh deary deary me!
    It appears that Fine Gael are 'Fianna Fail mark II' !!!!!!!! sweet jes, if they even think of introducing a tax on our savings and our pensions, WHEN THE TAX IS NOT ON THEIR OWN PENSIONS AND THE PENSIONS OF THOSE BANKER F***ERS, then I am most perfectly confident that the people of Ireland will rise up and oust them like they did those Fianna Fail wan**rs when they were in power!!
    I thank god Fianna Fail were ousted before they drove Ireland into the sea, where Atlantis is, but we have to remember, the people of Ireland (or bog trotters, as the english bastards consider us!) are not stupid, but many of these Irish are greedy! because they haven't seen so many punts, (or these mickey mouse euros), but by god, I don't believe they will allow Fine Gael and Labour to lose the run of themselves, being newly in power, and if they do, then I will be leading alot of people out of this shi* of a country!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ireland can sink into the Atlantic for all I care, after the actions of this bollocks government we elect, especially if they think they can make us, the ordinary people, pay for mother fuc*** bankers, developers, et al (including that idiot bertie asshole ahern and that oof from offaly, boozy boy brian cowen.) and the clown Brian Lenihan.

Is Finance Minister (FINE GAEL) Michael Noonan, a new Brian Lenihan? Like all bald men, he appears to be uptight, but unfortunately, NOONAN, take that attitude with the Irish people, and I hope and pray they deal with you, like they dealed with Lenihan.............
    You have been warned!!!!
    Enda Kenny, get off your stupid wanna be Taoiseach ass, lead the country and don't let the ordinary people pay - or you'll pay - and that is a promise from someone who helped bring down the Fianna Fail regime!!!!1

Lots of love,
    a citizen of Ireland.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dr.pol

GOD HELP US ALL you mindless clowns.!
    Oul enda, reneging on his election pleges has decided to charge us all for a drink of water, as well as trying to put a few punts (yes punts, not pounds, you fu**ing west british bastards) for our pensions when we eventually retire, which is not expected until the age of 70!!!!!
    SO F**K Fine Gael and Labour, and all who belong to her, because I am not paying into a pension!
    The average age of an Irish male, after you take into consideration all the mobile phone masts, is 65, and by then, I'll still be working, so **** the pension, I might as well piss it against the pub wall, and I intend to,.!
    If I'm to work to 70 or 75, I'm not paying into a pension. My savings! you may tax em, but I'll lift em out, cash is good!! there are ways to beat the government, and by almighty god, i and may millions of genuine Irish people will.
    As for water, **** europe and all who belong to that. I recommend a withdrawal!! that'll soon make em pay attention! paying for water in the most rain stricten country (actutally an island nation) in europe? I think we need to send a message to europe! (We didn't like nazis, so go **** yourselves!)
    Anyway, I believe the Irish people will realise that it is time to bring back the yard arm for bald, uptight little bastards like Michael Noonan, and hang em from a ten foot pole! make an example is what I say.
    Fine Gale knew the poisoned challice they were receiving, they could have done better, but a TAX ON OUR SAVINGS AND PENSIONS and a GOD-DAMN WATER CHARGE, introduced by some foreign little bastard in a foreign country, called Belgium (Brussels) and expect us to pay for some gimic jobs creation boost!!! while the politicians and rich get away with no tax or penalty - haha - please - either we have to realise that the irish people are truly bog trotting idiots who deserve what they get for electing such evil money grabbing bastards, or, as you read this, you need no realise that we need real leaders and a real party who will not inflict such ridiculous pain, financial strain and crap on a people who deserve better than Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour.

This is written without political predjudice, and truth. If you are one of the aforementioned polical parties, obviously you'll disagree, however, everyone now knows your dishonesty,
    You may object and try and counteract what I havev said, but real citizens of this country will side with what I said and hopefully, they will show you at the next election, which hopefully will be soon.

I just realised, it is a shame we cannot hang (by the death until dead) those politicians who drive our country into recession and such destruction as we have seen.

Regards
    Dr. P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Well Dr Pol, welcome and goodbye

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

LOL, that's some rant...

Anyway, what should Enda do for Mayo? I don't think Mayo should be ignored, but if someone was to tell me that, for example, essential maintenance to the streets of Dublin can't be carried out because FG has allocated the money to roads in Mayo, I'm gonna flip out. There are half a million people in the city centre alone and 1.6m in the greater Dublin urban area. If you're going to try and tell me that money that can service 1.6m people is better spent servicing less than a tenth of that (Mayo population being just under 140k according to the last census figures) then I'm going to want to punch you in the face :) You have to look out for what's most important and you have to get the best "bang for buck" when you've got a limited budget like our government does.

This won't be a popular opinion here on the Mayo forum, but we have to stop thinking local and start thinking national if we're going to get things straightened out. ACtually, I think we need to stop thinking "Ireland" and start thinking "European Super State" but that's another day's debate :)

Kharn wrote: »
    LOL, that's some rant...

Anyway, what should Enda do for Mayo? I don't think Mayo should be ignored, but if someone was to tell me that, for example, essential maintenance to the streets of Dublin can't be carried out because FG has allocated the money to roads in Mayo, I'm gonna flip out. There are half a million people in the city centre alone and 1.6m in the greater Dublin urban area. If you're going to try and tell me that money that can service 1.6m people is better spent servicing less than a tenth of that (Mayo population being just under 140k according to the last census figures) then I'm going to want to punch you in the face :) You have to look out for what's most important and you have to get the best "bang for buck" when you've got a limited budget like our government does.

This won't be a popular opinion here on the Mayo forum, but we have to stop thinking local and start thinking national if we're going to get things straightened out. ACtually, I think we need to stop thinking "Ireland" and start thinking "European Super State" but that's another day's debate :)

Aye I agree, but the typical thinking has and always will be local.
    Take a trip to Offaly and see the roads put in there, in the middle of no where. Go to Donegal and see the roads in there. Why, because they had big Gov. clout.

If you want bang for buck, then it has to be argued the need for a metro up there, the luas, the dart, the buses.
    I travel regular from Mayo to Dublin, we don't have roads down here outside of a 2 good road sections, 70% of the roads are inadequate and dangerous.
    I know what you are saying that the money should be spent where the population is, but the fact is that Mayo and the West in general has been given the 2 fingers by the East where jobs, motorways, luas etc etc etc has been provided in the last consecutive governments to such an extent that the largest employers Allergan and Coke are threatening to pull out if the transport isn't improved.

As you said the post isn't ideal on a Mayo forum, but from "down here" 90% of the money in the last 15 years was spent on the East coast, while the rest of us were "left do", now the potential of a reverse could happen the East coast isn't happy.

Swings and roundabouts :D

• Advertisement

Yop beat me to it.....though it's a bit idealistic and way to practical to apportion resources based on population. Well certainly FF rule over the last 14 years or so has accustomed us to a different, stroke mentality.

To early to say if Enda is gonna follow suit or not.....wait till is first 100 days in office is up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dr.pol, welcome to Mayo forum.
    I understand your frustration but this thread is dedicated to what Enda will do for Co Mayo.
    If we can stick to that and keep general FG discussion in the Politics forum is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say the OP isn't entirely serious when he/she complains about a lack of a dual carraigeway between Bohola and Westport and free medical cards for everyone in the county.
    Maybe Enda should hand out a few sarcasm detectors....

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say the OP isn't entirely serious when he/she complains about a lack of a dual carraigeway between Bohola and Westport and free medical cards for everyone in the county.
    Maybe Enda should hand out a few sarcasm detectors....

I'll put it this way to you, look under the OP's username there in the post and it will tell you a lot about how serious any of the posts that OP put on in here ;)

Sugar-Free and Boards.ie-Free these days! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a reason I left Mayo (and never intend to return). It simply does not have the population to be able to fight for the major investment in infrastructure that is (as well as all of the west) desperately needs. I need good Broadband, I could not get that in Mayo. It was one of my major deciding factors in leaving.

It's now at the stage where there's something of a vicious circle - you can't get the stuff you need, so you leave, so there're less people to service, so it becomes less cost effective to spend the money in that region and so fewer people can get the stuff they need and so they leave, etc...

I don't have an answer as to how we address this, I'm not sure anyone's ever been able to sort this issue out. The idealist in me would suggest that there should be a basic minimum standard that roads, telecoms, etc should all be at and that all further investment is halted until such a time as there's a national network that may not dazzle, but at least works.

Finisklin mentions FF's local investment policies - I'd point people at the school that was built in Breaffy when Enda was Minister for Education back in the day :) The fact remains that any sensible government politician who wants to keep his seat will have to do *something* for his home constituency to show his worth - doubly so if he's Taoiseach. There will be high expectations of Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 d1897

Let's face it - Mayo is the last thing on the Taoiseacht's mind........ he has to worry about this debt problem ...

As long as Enda doesn't cut my wages again.... i don't care what he does!! if they do cut my wages again then they will have to cut my morgage again too...

Why don't they just default on the whole thing..

Enda is a long time in politics, as was his father Henry before him.

He knows how to look after his base, and will do so.

Padraig Flynn and his successors pushed thru substantial improvements to the N5. Westport Castlebar and Ballaghadereen- Strokstown are two remaining bad stretches. The exporting industries in the county are pressing for improvements to the N5. If these improvements are not carried out, and if existing jobs or potential new investment is lost for that reason, the strong FG support in the county will weaken.

Adequate broadband would also be good.

Fair points Nuac...I agree with them in there entirety. Only addition is that the North of the county has several additional challenges also. Top of the list is the road from Ballina to Bohola. This, however, is not going to progress for quite awhile.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Well it is possibally no more than anywhere else in the country, he has the country to look after now.

Castlebar has only one T.D repesenting them and he has the whole country to run, it is weak in representation now in Dail! Our county town always had two T.D.'s

I thik it was mistake it was not to elect Micheal Kilcoyne!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dr.pol wrote: »
    Oh deary deary me!
    It appears that Fine Gael are 'Fianna Fail mark II' !!!!!!!! sweet jes, if they even think of introducing a tax on our savings and our pensions, WHEN THE TAX IS NOT ON THEIR OWN PENSIONS AND THE PENSIONS OF THOSE BANKER F***ERS, then I am most perfectly confident that the people of Ireland will rise up and oust them like they did those Fianna Fail wan**rs when they were in power!!

But unfortunately this will take the form of voting for FF again.

Advertisement