Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your preferred Formation for playing Online?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Well pretty much as the title suggests. I have completed 15 seasons at manager mode and I am now venturing into online mode. What formation do yous all play.

I now that it varies for different people and different styles so please write down your formation and preferred style of play ( counter attack, crosses, possesion etc) and why you choose that formation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

4-3-3, ultra defensive and counter attack. Works fairly well for me. I never have the most possesion but playing UD really makes it difficult for the opponent to get into your box I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Philly_C wrote: »
    4-3-3, ultra defensive and counter attack. Works fairly well for me. I never have the most possesion but playing UD really makes it difficult for the opponent to get into your box I find.

Never tried that one myself might give it a bang tonight.

I usually play 3-2-2-1-2 but its not a good formation to play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

4-2-2-2

2 CDM's
    2AM's(LAM and RAM)
    2ST's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Philly_C wrote: »

I'm the same,I love catching people on the break,4-3-3 or else 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

I'm the same,I love catching people on the break,4-3-3 or else 4-2-3-1.

I hate playing against a 4-2-3-1 formation when they're really defensive. Having two holding midfielders and playing on the break seems like a cheap tactic and I don't like playing like that either. Not to take away from lads who do, they're perfectly entitled to, I just don't like it :)

I don't have a preferred formation to be honest, I usually just play whatever formation suits a team best. Not necessarily the default formation, just whatever formation gets the best out of the players available. I think having a few flexible formations is good.

I like playing through balls to the wingers from midfield in a 4-3-3, using the wingers a good bit in 4-4-2, and probably a similar style with 4-2-3-1, but more emphasis on midfield.
    I like width so 4-1-2-1-2 isn't one of my favuorites but it works so well with Spain it's hard not to use it :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

5-1-1-2-1

5 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 CM, 2 wingers and 1 CF.

Very defensive, but usually win 1-0 or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I just use the default tactics... never even came across my mind to change the formation.

Might try it when the PSN comes back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Digitalism wrote: »
    5-1-1-2-1

5 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 CM, 2 wingers and 1 CF.

Very defensive, but usually win 1-0 or there abouts.

haha grinding out results eh ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommy89

Like said before it does depend on the team and what players ya got.. Found myself using the 4-1-3-2 a bit lately tho. 4 def 1DM 1CM RM/LM and 2 ST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Default tactics with Barca or Spurs more commonly.

Have only lost four games out of 25ish so I can't be doing too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Have only lost four games out of 25ish so I can't be doing too bad.

It will get harder. It's generally simple at the beginning when you play at a low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I only ever use 4-1-2-1-2(ie, Diamond), or else 4-4-2.

Hate 4-2-3-1, just can't play with it, never score. And I hate most other ones. I find when playing against 4-2-3-1 I play the 5-2-1-2(I think is it, its 3 in the back in the center, 2 WB, 2 CDM, 1 in front of them, 2 up top, its in the FIFA formations things, works perfectly against the 4-2-3-1.)

I always go for 4-1-2-1-2, but in my UT, I go for 4-4-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I only ever use 4-1-2-1-2

+1 to the post above !!!

4-1-2-1-2 with Ultra Defensive + Counter Attack works perfectly for me. Use this formation no matter which team I play with/against.

haha grinding out results eh ?:pac:
    Ha yeah, but I still loose the odd game to the fool abusing the lobbed through ball... my wish for fifa 12 is that they FINALLY remove that exploit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

3-5-2 for me. 2 CM, RM, LM and AM. I find this allows for total domination of possession and because you are playing against a real person (as opposed to the computer) they get frustrated and become reckless with their defending and frantic with their attacks. My philosophy is that the best form of defence is attack so am always confident of getting several chances in a game (average shots for me per game is 13).

And I hack the sh1t out of the opposition to disrupt their play and to get the ball back.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

4-3-3 aka Barca default.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I tend to favour those three although I have tried all the formations out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 barron

4-4-2 and 3-4-3

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fredwardo

I read alot about this abused lobbed through ball, I've played a fair fee games online and can't say I've noticed it. Find the abuse is more on the teams, always playing against Barcelona, Madrid or Chelsea.

On formations it all depends on the team. I like a 3-4-3 or a 4-5-1 all out attack.

What's the tactic where when you have the ball there is about 4 players closing you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

High Pressure and Ultra Defensive ?

Also what level/rank are you online ? I suppose there's a bigger chance of getting matched up against a lobbed through ball abuser if your level is higher. I played against Real Madrid twice in a row just now, and in both games the opposition just kept lobbing the ball through to Ronaldo at every opportunity :pac:

• Advertisement

Fredwardo wrote: »
    I read alot about this abused lobbed through ball, I've played a fair fee games online and can't say I've noticed it. Find the abuse is more on the teams, always playing against Barcelona, Madrid or Chelsea.

On formations it all depends on the team. I like a 3-4-3 or a 4-5-1 all out attack.

What's the tactic where when you have the ball there is about 4 players closing you down?
    Play the high ranked players and most of them abuse it with drogba, ronaldo, rooney etc. Are you sure you understand what a lobbed through ball is, as its probably the most used "tactic" online when your game is going as you please :pac:

this is it anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fredwardo

Haha I know what it is but it can be pretty easy to defend. Run your defender back and use your midfielder to pressure the ball, works for me.

Maybe my ranks not high enough, at what level is it common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

4-4-2.

Two good center backs, one pacey winger and a decent finisher.

Only games I've lost recently were when I disconnected while winning 2-0 cause of my stupid UPC modem :mad: and a penalty shootout. The latter where I was using the diamond.

4-4-2 never really lets me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

4-2-3-1, two dm's and 3am's, super for passing and through balls, great for playing it through their defence as oppose to wing play

Advertisement